Thread: B camera chocie?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 B camera chocie? 
    I was wondering what other uses as their B camera?

I'm shooting on the Red Epic Dragon 6k. I need to find a lighter camera as my B camera to be used on the Zhiyun Crane 3S for handheld shots that can be edited into the Red Epic footage?

Somewhat literally what Komodo has been designed to do.

But outside of the obvious choice there, how much smaller are we talking?
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

I thought about the Komodo but according to B&H the time frame for arrival is going to be very long. The Epic, just the brain is 5lbs without any attachments, so need something that is going to be much lighter for the Zhiyun Crane 3S. One person mentioned that the closest I can get to Epic footage if I'm not going with the Komodo would be the Pocket Cinema Camera 6K Pro and the price points is less then half. I don't know anything about the pocket camera so not sure if it on a list of choices.

I use Monstro on a Crane 3S. It holds 14/15lbs without issue. You can actually fly an Epic on there pretty easily. Reason I bought the bloody thing.

B&H might be back ordered, but there are smaller dealers that do indeed have Komodo in small batches. Staggered order allocation.

PCC 6K is a decent 2nd choice. Same weight essentially, though very different cameras.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Yes the 3s works without issues with my Gemini, Otus lens, focus motor, video transmitter and a light matte box.

can you post a photo of your setup?

Hey there, Phil. . .

. . . can the Crane 3S Pro be used with DSMC1 cameras? Their website only mentions DSMC2 cameras.

Thanks.

Stephen
    Scarlet Dragon with Canon, Sigma, and Tokina lenses and the Optitron 2 wireless focus system
    First feature film, Works in Progress, out on DVD (Vanguard Cinema) and online.
    Second feature film, the miniseries Terminal, currently available on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R8RQ488
    Third feature film, The Tree, currently available on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JJ179RP
    Fourth feature film, The Land, currently under review at film festivals around the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Pruitt View Post
    Hey there, Phil. . .

. . . can the Crane 3S Pro be used with DSMC1 cameras? Their website only mentions DSMC2 cameras.

Thanks.

Stephen
    The DSMC2 body with the DSMC2 V-Lock I/O expander module is about the same weight and form factor as the DSMC1, so the Crane 3S Pro most to work well with DSMC1 bodies.