Thread: I need a hard drive to work off of!

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by John Pike View Post
    I need a good hard drive to work off of with my Red Komodo files. I have a Glyphy 12 TB USB 3 and that clearly doesn't cut it. In the past I've used a bunch of Samsung T5/T7 s but I don't have enough to hold all of my files while I'm editing.
    We use a whole bunch of G-Speed Shuttle RAIDs at the office. We go with spinning drives for big, long-term storage (about 100TB each) and then use a 16TB SSD RAID to store current projects. The regular drives hit 1000MB/s in Resolve with TB2 or TB3, and the SSDs will easily go over 2000MB/s, which is more than fast enough. We media-manage projects so just the necessary material is on the SSD, and it fits with no problem.

For editing, what we recommend to clients is they cut with low-res proxies -- maybe ProRes 422LT -- and then we link back to the original 4K/6K/8K original files for final color and delivery. I don't think it's necessary to cut with camera originals when it's just the decision-making process.
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

I ended up picking up the OWC Thunderbolt 3 NVMW. For now I went with 4 1tb Crucial SSDs. I'm going to have to manage my projects well and develop a good workflow. I'm going to start a disciplined approach to my import by first deleting unwanted clips and then using R3D trim on those I want to keep before placing them on my work disk. I'm mostly shooting basically landscape images right now for a project and rarely need more than 30s to 1 min of each clip so I can save a lot by trimming.

After setting up the drive yesterday it really soars in Resolve, FCP and RED CineX. Got speeds around 2500 read/write in BlackMagic Speed test. Set it up in Raid 0.

I'll likely probably pickup another two or four disk spinning disk raid for more storage as my 12TB USB3 Glyph is basically worthless for anything other than an archive drive, can't really watch footage at all off of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
    For editing, what we recommend to clients is they cut with low-res proxies -- maybe ProRes 422LT -- and then we link back to the original 4K/6K/8K original files for final color and delivery. I don't think it's necessary to cut with camera originals when it's just the decision-making process.
    This is exactly how we work Marc. We shoot 6K/5K/4K but edit with (or give clients) graded 422 Proxies. Final grade relinks to masters easily with EDL.
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

Been working with the OWC ENVOY PRO FX 2TB via TB3 and USB3.
    Super fast and solid.
    Small as a REDMAG :)
    Speeds via TB3 on 2019 Mac Pro are 1700write and 2700read.
    I also have the Apple TB 2 converter for anything lower but haven't had a chance to test.
    < Someday I'll be cool enough to have something witty here >

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Morrison View Post
    This is exactly how we work Marc. We shoot 6K/5K/4K but edit with (or give clients) graded 422 Proxies. Final grade relinks to masters easily with EDL.
    Yeah, that's a proven process that works well. We generally recommend to client that the temp color offline daiiies copies have "spoiler" vis timecode that identifies the specific takes and project name and date, which will help later on when the final conform is being done:

marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer