Thread: Miller Sprinter vs Sachtler Flowtech

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Miller Sprinter vs Sachtler Flowtech 
    Has anyone used the Miller Sprinter II Carbon Fiber legs? I haven't be able to find any Youtube reviews on it; how do they compare with the Flowtechs?

I'm in a bit of a dilemma, as I'm trying to replace my Miller Solo legs. Those Solo legs with twist locks aren't very convenient on small shoots where I have to operate the camera with no assistants -- adjusting height becomes very cumbersome.

So my options are either:

1) Replace the Solo legs with Sprinter II, and use my existing Mill Compass 15 head, OR

2) Go all out and get the Flowtech 75 with the Aktiv8T head

Option 1 will save me a bunch of money, but I know a good set of tripod is worth its weight in gold. So if the Sprinter II isn't that great compared to the Flowtechs, I'm willing to invest! I just need some real word opinions from people who've used the Sprinter II's, since none of the stores local in my city has a set for me to test.

I may be an outlier but I really dislike the flowtechs. I had Miller tripods in the past and never had a problem with the Sprinter legs.

I may be an outlier too, but I definitely prefer the Miller Compass 15 with the Sprinter sticks to the Sachtler 8T/Flowtech combo.
    Nils J. Nesse

Epic-W Helium 8K in Bergen, Norway | Red Pro Primes | Zeiss LWZ.3 | Tokina Cinema 16-28 & 50-135

I'm an outlier, on this thread... The Flowtech's are my favorite sticks(I have the 100mm). I've owned Vinten CF Torque Safe's, still own three sets of Sachtler SpeedLocks and have had to use Gitzo and knock-off Gitzo style(Miller) legs countless times(have a client and their go-to set-up is Sachtler heads on Gitzo legs) and the Flowtech's crush them all. As a matter-of-fact, I'll use my sticks even when shooting with a clients camera, a lot of times.

The Millers look similar to SpeedLocks, but they still use two separate latches for each stage, they're just in the same exact location and nesting with each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Nils J. Nesse View Post
    I may be an outlier too, but I definitely prefer the Miller Compass 15 with the Sprinter sticks to the Sachtler 8T/Flowtech combo.
    What is it that you dislike about the Flowtech / Aktiv8T?

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher A. Bell View Post
    The Millers look similar to SpeedLocks, but they still use two separate latches for each stage, they're just in the same exact location and nesting with each other.
    This is what I'm worried about as well just from looking at their photos; if speedy deployment (and the ease of it) is my main concern, I wonder if the Miller Sprinters as as good as the Flowtechs given the Miller's latches are still around the mid-section instead of near the top like the Flowtechs.

Been on the fence with the Flowtech since its release.
    I have the Solo/Compass 25 combo and its a PITA to use solo (pardon the pun) :P
    The videos on the Flowtech are so good but there are none in my area for me to test out.
    I want to know how they really handle the abuse.
    I use the older Miller sticks as well as a heavy-duty Sachtler at times (day job) but would like to own a real set for myself.
    < Someday I'll be cool enough to have something witty here >

The flowtechs ARE faster, so if that is a priority, then it is what it is. My biggest issue with my flowtech legs is not an issue but rather a worry: The walls of the legs are very thin I worry about long term durability. That said, I bought them after doing a few doc shoots with my miller solo sticks and found it impossible to adjust. For dynamic environments, it's not slower on the Millers, it's impossible. In other words, if you can't make the change fast enough to get that specific shot that requires a truly fast height change, then you don't make the change at all, so it's not slower, it's out of the running for that particular shot. The speed difference is that big. Watch Matt Allard's reviews of the flowtechs on Newsshooter. He does some speed comparisons for height adjustment. If that difference is not critical to you, then you don't need the flowtech's. If it is critical, then there are no Miller sticks that will provide that performance in the moment.

Edit: I haven't actually used the Sprinter legs and the Solo DV legs are NOT meant to be fast legs like the Sprinters. So, obviously the Sprinters would help close that gap a bit. I still think having everything up near the head makes the height adjustments easier and faster.

I don't love the Sachtler heads in this price class, but that's a different discussion.
    Last edited by Omid Zoufonoun; 05-04-2021 at 11:20 AM.

I have the Flowtech, and really like them for fast field work. It also gets pretty low which is nice when you didn't bring a hi-hat. the Miller Solo sticks are pretty lightweight but the standard spread is not enough to feel safe IMHO. Its fine for Komodo size cameras I guess. My OConnor 30L legs are great for studio and heavier builds. Plus it gets higher than the flowtechs.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

The Flowtechs are fast, but don't overlook how SOLID they are. Very resistant to torsion/twisting/backlash when panning with high drag settings. I shoot a lot of sports and I've shot on them countless times with 22x(+2x extender) ENG lenses on my VariCam and 400mm (+ center punch/s16) on my F55. They are even stiffer than my Sachtler CF Speedlock HD legs.

Also, the shape of the legs make them way more comfortable to carry on the shoulder than single tube style legs(i.e: Gitzo's) or dual tube(i.e: Speedlocks). And the handle is in the exact balance point(depending on how heavy the head is) if you choose to carry them that way.

As much as I loved(love) my Speedlocks, I love these even more. Having the release latch at the top where your hand is, is so much better than having to reach down for latches that may be in the middle of the stages or individual twist locks(like Gitzo's).

Flowtechs:
    Quick height changes
    Height range(goes low, goes high)
    Basically zero twisting/backlash
    Comfortable to carry on the shoulder
    Comfortable carry handle
    Works with or without spreader
    Easy/quick to attach/detach spreader