Thread: Why should I buy Komodo over BMD 6K Pro?

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hastings View Post
    Went for an MRI recently and it came back "no visible ACL" .
    When my orthopedist showed me my MRI, he had to show me the image of my PCL in order to explain what I was seeing in the image of my ACL, because all that remained of that was a cloud of debris.

These days they replace it with a cadaver tendon - drill some holes and screws - and I guess new ligament grows over it - but it's at least 5-6 months before can even think about climbing on and off a dive boat in dive gear.
    Whenever possible, an orthopedist today will take a part of your patellar ligament instead of using a cadaver ligament. It doesn't grow over; ligaments don't heal on their own, so whatever they put in there is your new ligament, and that's basically that.

Cadaver based reconstruction has a far higher chance of complication due to rejection than using your own ligaments, so...

I had my ACL reconstructed in 2000, and I'm still hiking, though I slowed down on mountaineering during covid.

If you get an ACL reconstruction from a good orthopedist AND you have a good physical therapist, you can be back on your feet in 5-6 months. It does also help to let your physical therapist know your background... mine knew that I was athletic, so she pushed me almost as hard as I pushed myself, while taking it easy on less hardy patients. They'll likely default to easy if you don't ask them to push you though.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Rakesh Malik
    Director of Photography, Colorist
    http://WinterLight.studio
    http://www.imdb.me/rakeshmalik

I had fun reading this. ACL injuries can be really bad, sometimes it takes years for others to heal.

First of all thanks for everybody's posts - lots of good info and I think it really covers the nuances and things to consider for both cameras.
    I'll probably do as suggested and just get both - even adding in the R5 the cost adds up to less than I got for the Epic-W.

I can order the Komodo and just wait the 2,3,4 months or whatever and cancel if it doesn't make sense at the time - but I hate when people do that to me so don't like doing that to another company - that was the initial purpose - just to see if I should commit.

@Jeff and Mike. When I get a few minutes, I'll post some things to think about regarding underwater housings.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakesh Malik View Post
    snips:
    Whenever possible, an orthopedist today will take a part of your patellar ligament instead of using a cadaver ligament. It doesn't grow over; ligaments don't heal on their own, so whatever they put in there is your new ligament, and that's basically that.
    Cadaver based reconstruction has a far higher chance of complication due to rejection than using your own ligaments, so...
    t does also help to let your physical therapist know your background... mine knew that I was athletic, so she pushed me almost as hard as I pushed myself, while taking it easy on less hardy patients. They'll likely default to easy if you don't ask them to push you though.
    Good info. The cadaver idea was just part of the discussion with the Ortho before I even had the MRI and Covid happened so what I said was just something I read on the internet. We know how that can go.

This thread's taken a bit of an autobiographical turn:

I know what you mean about the Physical Therapist pushing you hard. The first time around (before arthroscopic surgery) - I have an eight inch scar. When the PT started the first thing was to bend the leg and break up adhesions (basically internal scar tissue.) They were going to do it progressively over a few weeks and it really hurt. I asked the surgeon about it and he said "yeah, we could not knock you out and do it all at once but there's a greater chance of messing something else up as well - if you want full flexion you just have to tough it out" so I told the PT to do what she had to do. You laid on this low platform with a big pad in it and it was surrounded by a wooden frame kind of like an old style waterbed frame and I remember literally biting the frame to keep from screaming. But it worked - I have full flexion which is a bit rare for that time period.

My rehab was the same year that the movie "Brian's Song" came out - the movie about a Chicago Bears running back dying of cancer - he was roommates with Gale Sayers and part of the movie is Brian Piccolo pushing Sayers after his knee reconstruction doing leg lifts to strengthen the thigh muscles. It was extra motivation for me (I was a running back and safety) and I had a metal boot that you strapped on your foot with a weight bar and I would sit on the edge of a desk and do hundreds of 40 lb leg lifts a day.

At my age I'm a lot less motivated and I've finally given up my dream of playing safety in the NFL - even though at 6'4-1/2"-215 I'm a lot closer to ideal size than I was back then at 6'5"-180.

Just getting really serious about the weightlifting is an alternative to surgery, but at my age it seems like even with similar work things don't bulk up as well.
    Save the Sharks

Question is why should you buy one komodo instead of 2 BMPC´s? As thats where the price levels out.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hastings View Post

At my age I'm a lot less motivated and I've finally given up my dream of playing safety in the NFL - even though at 6'4-1/2"-215 I'm a lot closer to ideal size than I was back then at 6'5"-180.

Just getting really serious about the weightlifting is an alternative to surgery, but at my age it seems like even with similar work things don't bulk up as well.
    Been there, done that. Here's my experience. Firstly, lose weight. It doesn't help for knees to be carrying 200-250 lbs when they could be working at 175-200 lbs. Second, weight lifting, particularly dead weights, contribute to a host of other medical problems. Knees don't like impact. If the cartiledge has been stressed, its highly likely the condyle(the slippery layers surrounding the ball ends) are worn away and gone. In this case, nothing helps but a knee replacement. Bottom line, lose weight, give up running and impact sports in favor of swimming and bicycle riding.

I have both cameras.

Pros of the Komodo
    Global Shutter
    RF mount
    Better form factor
    Red Raw with tons of DR
    Sensor crop in 6k is a little nicer ( my preference)

Pros of the P6K
    Startup time is really key here. Flick it on and you are
    ready to roll. (Miss that on the komodo)
    Screen is much larger and the menu is so good
    Custom buttons are super great (miss that on the komodo)
    ISO holds up pretty good.

Have used the pockets for a big project last year and it was quiet amazing how good that cheap 6k camera is.
    We switched from Helium to Pocket entirely for the project.
    Simply because Komodo wasn’t there and the Helium was to big with the R2

Now I really like the pockets. The 60p 6k looks great, even in ISO 6400 the footage is totally usable.

Got the komodo in for a couple of months but haven’t brought it out to a shoot yet.
    I’m a little afraid because of startup times and more noise in the dark from the Komodo.
    That was better on the Pockets and helped to work quick and clean.

The next project will be definitely Helium and Komodo.
    I simply love the DR of the Red more and colorwise it has the better look to my eyes.
    All we need is magination, a brain, a lens & a minimag

"ERIKA" RED HELIUM DSMC2 #0008325

PORTFILIO | ECN STUDIOS