Thread: Komodo 6k R3D + Davinci Resolve. What's your PC/Mac configuration?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Komodo 6k R3D + Davinci Resolve. What's your PC/Mac configuration? 
    Hi. I'm new here. I'm just curious to hear from any users (Mac or PC, either one) who have had a smooth experience with 6K R3D in Resolve. I've been having some GPU issues and I'm pretty sure I've narrowed it down to not having enough vram (8GB gtx 1080) in my circa 2016 PC, which I'm considering upgrading or replacing. Not here to troubleshoot Resolve or my PC. I'd just love to hear from anyone who'd care to share their successful configuration. Especially if its not a beast, I'm more interested in what others have gotten away with budget-wise and still have a rock solid experience for basic editing and grading.

Try to enable GPU Debayer *and* decompression, if you haven't already (I think the default is just Debayer). And set it to CUDA, which last I checked (admittedly years ago) should be slightly faster than OpenCL.

It's in Preferences>"Memory and GPU">then in Decode Options, have the "Use GPU for R3D" drop down menu on "Decompression and Debayer."

It will either run back smooth as butter, or run noticeably worse than just GPU Debayer (if your GPU can't actually handle 6k r3d)... But 8gb should be enough for 1/2 res playback.

Thanks, I've been through all those steps (and a ton more). And you're right "Decode and Debayer" gives me 24fps at 1/2 res... for a while. Interestingly, at first I was testing the camera shooting almost all 2.4:1. I had a short timeline ~2:30, and I was able to work with no problems as long as I was at 1/2 res. (In the task manager Vram hovers at about 7 gigs used). I thought I was in the clear.

Then I went out and shot some 17:9. Those timelines will play smoothly for 1:15 or so. I can watch the Vram usage creep up to the ceiling before the application craps out. (sometimes "vram full" errors, sometimes just a hard crash). I was able to replicate the crashes/errors with longer 2.4:1 timelines, it just takes longer. It seems like the card is right on the cusp of being able to handle the additional resolution. I've rolled back resolve and my nvidia studio drivers in every combination, and I've watched RED's videos about resolve workflow, including the advice above. (In those videos the presenter talks about being able to play 8k R3D at speed using an rtx 5000 (16 gb vram) Even though I'm at 6k, I'm going to try one of those out and see if it fixes things.)

Anyway, this is why I was just curious to hear people's configurations.

Hey, my setup isn't too far off, I have a 1080ti, not standard 1080, but I don't have any issues with Resolve, unless the project gets insanely huge AND uses denoising (which can cause the same low memory issue).

I have a 3800x and 32gb of ram, I don't know what your CPU is, but I don't think that's the only thing effecting it.

But there may be something else giving you issues: the Komodo uses a DCT for compression, which is different from all other Reds before it. Rolling back is probably going to hurt a lot more than it helps. As much as people here will tell you to avoid the newest versions of editing software, this may be a case where that's not actually the best idea, since they may not be optimized for the newer compression.

Something you can usually do to avoid the VRAM issue is to reduce the timeline resolution. Try a 4k timeline and see if that gets rid of the issue or at least allows longer edits. You can always change the setting back at the end before exporting. (or export at the higher resolution)

Interesting. Thanks for the insights! The 1080Ti is an 11GB card. This lines up with my suspicion that 8GB in my setup is not cutting it. I'm using a UHD timeline, I should have specified, and I've also since reverted to the latest driver/resolve version since none of the rollback combinations worked.

If I use a 1080p timeline, I get by with no issues. The problem with that workflow is that the 4k export still crashes, and switching back to CPU for Decode/Debayer for every export is not a tenable workflow for me.

Thanks again, the fact that your 1080ti with 11GB works fine is just the sort of info I'm looking for!

For anyone interested, I got my hands on an RTX 5000. It's very nice, to say the least. I ran some tests and at the point in the timeline where it used to crash using my poor old 8GB 1080, my new card reports about 10.1 GB Vram used, and sails right through. (and that's at half res playback) When I have it set to full res it reports between 11-12 GB used. I can watch it fill up to 14GB and above moving quickly between the edit and color pages, switching timelines, and scrubbing aggressively, and it remains completely stable. Thanks to those that chimed in. The rtx wasn't cheap, but I'm just happy to have a usable experience in Resolve now.

This is weird, it should work just fine. The responses on this thread are interesting.

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Using a single 2080ti with a 16 core 32 thread Intel processor at 2.60 GHz base and 64GB memory. I can edit and do lots of grading in full premium 6K and 8K. Sure, editing in the way I edit narrative will never be replaced by using native files over proxies, but for commercial applications, I have no problems with just this single card. As I skip generations I will update to the 4090ti or whatever it's gonna be called and it will be even faster. Since we're not really pushing resolution anymore (whatever people like to think about it), the tech is catching up with the resolutions we've worked with the past 12 years. When I started with Red, it was extremely tedious with R3D 4K files, and over the course of the last decade resolution and bandwidth have increased in line with the tech processing it so there's never really been a bump in processing power until now. Personally, I don't think RTX Quadro cards are worth the cost, the minor improvements to workstation application with that card are generally most apparent in applications like CAD and alike. For Resolve, however, a 3090 11GB card is extremely powerful.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600 Red Komodo #002397

I am very interested... ;-)

When you say RTX 5000 you mean the Quadro RTX 5000 not the NVIDIA RTX A5000??

Quote Originally Posted by Haven Cousins View Post
    For anyone interested, I got my hands on an RTX 5000. It's very nice, to say the least. I ran some tests and at the point in the timeline where it used to crash using my poor old 8GB 1080, my new card reports about 10.1 GB Vram used, and sails right through. (and that's at half res playback) When I have it set to full res it reports between 11-12 GB used. I can watch it fill up to 14GB and above moving quickly between the edit and color pages, switching timelines, and scrubbing aggressively, and it remains completely stable. Thanks to those that chimed in. The rtx wasn't cheap, but I'm just happy to have a usable experience in Resolve now.

I’ll chime in here. Working with a 30 minute project, I did notice that DR failed to render once. I did the cache hack to workaround the failure. But in all honesty, I’ve never had a need to do such things when rendering in FCPX. Truthfully, in my experience FCPX is far more dependable than DR. That said, DR had far more robust tool for both color grading and audio.

One point I’ll also make, which may or may not be of impact, is the fact that I was working with Sony footage at the time.