Thread: will there be a 3k crop on the komodo?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 will there be a 3k crop on the komodo? 
    I have some cool super 16 lenses I'd love to be able to mount on the komodo. they work great on my helium at 4k. so I assume the 3k crop would be about super 16 sized. are there any plans to implement that? super 16 crops are popular on other cameras. seems like a weird oversight to skip from 4k to 2k.

3K would be very nice

Personally, I would love to see this, or at least a 2.7k crop. (there's a reason Arri chose that for 2k deliveries, after all) It would give an option for cleaner 1080p. Even if it's limited to 80 or 90fps, it would still be my preference for slow mo. (and maybe give it a 2.39 option for 100fps?)

The frame-rates are mostly just wishful thinking, but I really would love to see more resolution options; I'd REALLY like to see the menu changed so that you can select resolution, frame rate, aspect ratio, and squeeze factor separately. Sometimes I want to shoot 5k 2.39:1. It would save some card space, for one, and may allow frame-rates that aren't possible at the full 5k 17:9 readout.

I don't understand why you would need a crop. Shoot FF and just crop in post?
    Monstro 8K VV 025118 Lena
    Forged CF Helium 8K 00107
    Storm Trooper Komodo 0149
    Scarlet X 02249 (The Gateway Drug)
    RED Pro Zooms
    Zeiss Otus
    Xeen CF
    Director/DP at https://www.butcherbox.com

Living life by the ocean.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Crowley View Post
    I'd REALLY like to see the menu changed so that you can select resolution, frame rate, aspect ratio, and squeeze factor separately.
    I'm with you on this big time-- it could make changes to format much quicker than wheeling through every aspect ratio of every resolution.

As to why not just crop in post:
    1) It's common for me to hand off my footage to someone else and never have a conversation with anyone involved in post. I've found that the aspect ratio I discussed with the director-- and for which we set frame lines on the monitor-- doesn't necessarily make it through to the final product.
    2) It's a waste of shooting media and long-term hard drive space to record a larger image than I want.
    3) Even if I'm doing it myself, it adds an unnecessary step to post.