Thread: Mank wins Best Cinematography Oscars 2021 - More Oscars than 'Citizen Kane'

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Mank wins Best Cinematography Oscars 2021 - More Oscars than 'Citizen Kane' 
    "Mank" 2020
    Netflix

Directed by David Fincher
    Cinematography by Erik Messerschmidt
    Production design by Donald Graham Burt, Jan Pascale

Shot on Red Helium Monochrome

Conngrats to all involved
    Last edited by James Sielaff; 04-26-2021 at 01:35 PM.

Behind the filming of 'Mank':
    https://www.red.com/mank

Surprised this isn't getting more notice here. Unless I'm mistaken its the first time RED has been used on a Best cinematography winning film.

Congrats to Erik M, Fincher and Mank.

It's a big win especially considering the competition. Mank's been picking a few awards across the industry. Best Cinematography, it's nabbed a few of the biggies and nominated in many more.

Big, big congrats to David, Erik, and crew.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Helium Mono with Leitz Summilux-Cs. Best lenses I've ever used or seen. Brilliant work. Huzzah

Cheers - #19

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Reid View Post
    Surprised this isn't getting more notice here. Unless I'm mistaken its the first time RED has been used on a Best cinematography winning film.

Congrats to Erik M, Fincher and Mank.
    Most top folks in cinematography who are regularly within the nominees and winners frequently use Arri cameras. Arri is by far the most used camera among the biggest movies in the world, so naturally, the odds of it being used for winning movies is high. There are a few masters who use Red cameras and Fincher is among the front runners of that. So it was only a matter of time. I also think that going further, there are a lot of younger people using other cameras than Arri so it's gonna be more even in the future.

But basically, it still comes down to the brilliant minds of the people behind the wheels; and David, Erik, and crew are masters in their field. The award is well deserved and that matters more than the camera type. I just had hoped for Fincher finally getting his Oscar as well, seems like he's ironically going down the route of Kubrick never getting one. Similarities to Kubrick's workflow and dedication to film technology have always been a key area of Fincher. Hopefully, he's gonna get recognized by the academy sometime.

Big congratulations to everyone involved!
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600 Red Komodo #002397

Big Big congratulations to the RED TEAM, to Jim, Jarred, Graeme, Brent , and everyone past, present and future. As someone that has followed the company since its origins and a red user and owner since 2012, I feel this is another major landmark achievement for the team and how much it has grown, how it persevered and kept improving throughout all these years. Many films shot on Red won many awards, but this particular one seemed always out of reach. I do feel it should have been won many years ago with The Great Gatsby, but the award this year was truly deserved.

Its ironic that one of the main assets of any Red camera, its 16bit RAW color capture, was not used here, bare for the beautiful highlight rolloff and the nuances of BW captured in monochrome by the helium sensor.

Its a masterful piece of cinematography. A great film by Fncher, admittedly not one of my favourites from his filmography, but definitely , aesthetically and technically, a masterpiece.

Here's to the first of many best cinematography/film/director/ picture Oscars shot on RED, and looking forward to the future.

Keep pushing forward and, again, congratulations to all @ RED!
    Sérgio Perez

Weapon Monstro #03294 "Amochai" in Macau

Video Director/Creative/Producer

http://vimeo.com/user1503556

https://www.youtube.com/user/spzprod..._as=subscriber