Thread: Leica Summicron-C's or Leica M 0.8 Primes on the Komodo

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Leica Summicron-C's or Leica M 0.8 Primes on the Komodo 
    We're looking for the best small setup (under 10lbs) for the Komodo. The finalists are the Leica M 0.8 primes or a lightly used set of Summicron-C's? Both sets are similarly priced. Would greatly appreciate any opinions, thanks in advance!

My Leica M 21mm Lux will not focus to infinity on my Komodo because the port is not deep enough. Very disappointing.

I haven't shot with either set-- so please take my opinion with a grain of salt. But I did take a look at using the M 0.8 primes for one project, and my research left me with some concerns about the mechanics for the type of shooting I wanted to do. Most significantly, the focus and iris rings can be very close together, the lenses extend when focusing, and the close focus is not great. They also have somewhat short focus rotation. So for me, it seemed like paying cine lens prices for photo lens problems.

But my concerns might not be issues for you. And I'd still love to try them for the right project.

This write-up on the set was one of my main sources of information:
    https://picture-blvd.de/wp_hp/gettin...e-leitz-m-0-8/

Quote Originally Posted by Vance Colvig View Post
    My Leica M 21mm Lux will not focus to infinity on my Komodo because the port is not deep enough. Very disappointing.
    Problem solved...

https://www.amazon.com/Haoge-Manual-...9200985&sr=8-3

This does not solve the problem. I wish it did. The port on the Komodo does not allow the lens to go to infinity as the rear element hits the port inside of the Komodo. The adapter you refer to allows the lens to extend forward for closer focusing.

Quote Originally Posted by SHARMAINE DANIELS View Post
    We're looking for the best small setup (under 10lbs) for the Komodo. The finalists are the Leica M 0.8 primes or a lightly used set of Summicron-C's? Both sets are similarly priced. Would greatly appreciate any opinions, thanks in advance!
    I have shot a great deal with both these lenses on other cameras. I really love lightweight and small camera builds and lenses too.

Leica M's are beautiful lenses, but in cinema use the minimum focus feels a built limiting to me, as is the focal length options. They are a LOT smaller and lighter than the Summicron - C's , that aren't exactly light weight lenses.

'Crons are very nice, solid, have a much greater depth of focal lengths should you later expand your inventory. Likely to be easier to sell later too.

Also consider the very underrated Zeiss CP's, extremely lightweight and solid lenses, though physically large.

Also the Zeiss Superspeed / Standards. Obviously more of a vintage lens feel, but some beautiful looks from those as well and they're very small, especially the Standards.

Also consider, SLRMagic have just done a PL mount (ef switchable) version of their APO Microprimes as well which are also very good value. I've been using these a lot on Komodo recently. They are well proportioned size wise for the camera.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CLz4v8zBg1e

Just my views without going into other vague notions of look or feel ;-)

JB
    John Brawley ACS
    Cinematographer
    Los Angeles
    www.johnbrawley.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vance Colvig View Post
    This does not solve the problem. I wish it did. The port on the Komodo does not allow the lens to go to infinity as the rear element hits the port inside of the Komodo. The adapter you refer to allows the lens to extend forward for closer focusing.
    From Ben Ross, Reginal Sales Manager for Leitz...

Hello Keith,

Thank you for reaching out. The Leitz M0.8 lenses have no issues with the RED Komodo and in fact are extremely popular combination. The focus can take a little bit to get used to but users become quite capable also the lenses can accept focus levers (small metal rods) that can aid in focusing if needed.

The link below is an adapter that is quite popular and has positive feedback from rentals, its also extremely affordable.
    https://www.amazon.com/Haoge-Manual-...9200985&sr=8-3

I hope this helps answer your questions.
    Best,
    Ben

A question for Ben:

My 21mm M Lux does not focus to infinity on the Komodo due to mechanical interferance inside the port of the camera. Can you confirm that the 0.8 21mm M Lux does infact focus to infinity?

I can personally confirm that the 0.8 21mm M Lux does in fact focus to infinity with the Haoge Adapter. This can also be confirmed by Kobi Zaig @https://cinevisuals.com in Hollywood.

Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    I have shot a great deal with both these lenses on other cameras. I really love lightweight and small camera builds and lenses too.

Leica M's are beautiful lenses, but in cinema use the minimum focus feels a built limiting to me, as is the focal length options. They are a LOT smaller and lighter than the Summicron - C's , that aren't exactly light weight lenses.

'Crons are very nice, solid, have a much greater depth of focal lengths should you later expand your inventory. Likely to be easier to sell later too.

Also consider the very underrated Zeiss CP's, extremely lightweight and solid lenses, though physically large.

Also the Zeiss Superspeed / Standards. Obviously more of a vintage lens feel, but some beautiful looks from those as well and they're very small, especially the Standards.

Also consider, SLRMagic have just done a PL mount (ef switchable) version of their APO Microprimes as well which are also very good value. I've been using these a lot on Komodo recently. They are well proportioned size wise for the camera.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CLz4v8zBg1e

Just my views without going into other vague notions of look or feel ;-)

JB
    Hey John, wow those SLR Magic Microprimes look amazing. Thanks for the arrow! And congrats on your recent projects - The Great looks SO GOOD!
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv