Thread: Mic phantom power to Komodo?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Mic phantom power to Komodo? 
    Wondering what people are using to run phantom power to their shotgun mics to the 1/8 Komodo input? I have been looking for a simple box with XLR on one side and a 1/8 line level out on the other. Currently I am using my Zoom H4N as that interface, I want something simpler and wonder what other people are doing?

Thanks.

I use a Sound Devices MixPre-D 6 mk2. :)

Dump the H4n. They're crap. Get a proper mixer like a Sound Devices, one of the Zoom f series, or one of the BeachTek devices that's made for SLRs. Most of those have 1/8" stereo outputs that you can run to the mic in on your Komodo. Feed it good sound, and you end up with (shocker) good sound.

A Sound Devices MixPre-D 3 would do nicely, and you can attach it to the bottom of the camera. The 32-bit audio option is kind of a nice bonus also; it's a great backup for the on-camera recording via the 1/8th inch jack, so in case you aren't able to keep track of levels, you can still use that backup to rescue your audio.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Rakesh Malik
    Director of Photography, Colorist
    http://WinterLight.studio
    http://www.imdb.me/rakeshmalik

Thanks for the replies. I saw a YouTube video this morning that took me to this device. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ....html/overview

I like the Sound Device products, but want something more run and gun, compact. This looks like a simple 48v Phantom to 3.5 line level, with a 20 db gain preamp. This should work. Thanks guys.

The Comica Audio LinkFlex looks like a good option for low cost 48v phantom over XLR, output to 1/8" TRRS into Komodo. No doubt there are other RedUsers interested in that capability.

Would be great to know how it performs. Nobody expects Sound Devices quality, but even for run 'n' gun it needs to be decent.

Hopefully Lars, or anyone else using the Comica Audio LinkFlex, will report back to the RU community on their experiences. Some budget gear works a treat, some is fecal matter and never trust the marketing department ;-)

Cheers - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Blair S. Paulsen View Post
    The Comica Audio LinkFlex looks like a good option for low cost 48v phantom over XLR, output to 1/8" TRRS into Komodo. No doubt there are other RedUsers interested in that capability.

Would be great to know how it performs. Nobody expects Sound Devices quality, but even for run 'n' gun it needs to be decent.

Hopefully Lars, or anyone else using the Comica Audio LinkFlex, will report back to the RU community on their experiences. Some budget gear works a treat, some is fecal matter and never trust the marketing department ;-)

Cheers - #19
    I ordered it this afternoon. Will arrive next week and as soon as I can I will test it out and report back. Like you say, it is run and gun set up. Doubt it is a 1/4-20 mounting thread, so we shall see how it mounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakesh Malik View Post
    I use a Sound Devices MixPre-D 6 mk2. :)

Dump the H4n. They're crap. Get a proper mixer like a Sound Devices, one of the Zoom f series, or one of the BeachTek devices that's made for SLRs. Most of those have 1/8" stereo outputs that you can run to the mic in on your Komodo. Feed it good sound, and you end up with (shocker) good sound.

A Sound Devices MixPre-D 3 would do nicely, and you can attach it to the bottom of the camera. The 32-bit audio option is kind of a nice bonus also; it's a great backup for the on-camera recording via the 1/8th inch jack, so in case you aren't able to keep track of levels, you can still use that backup to rescue your audio.
    I agree with the advice on the Mix Pre 3 ii (need the "ii" for the 32 bit) I have one and love it! I tried it the other day with a rental komodo mounted to the bottom of the komodo and I think it made a pretty light run and gun kit.

I've used it quite a bit with other cameras and the sound quality is really amazing, I'm no pro- so the ability to fix my audio in post with the 32 bit is awesome!

If I run the Mix Pre 3 stereo out into the komodo- will the sound track end up on the card and basically just be synced sound that's processed by the SD?

Why use the sound with a recorder if you can record direclty on your camera with a smaller device?

Quote Originally Posted by John Pike View Post
    I agree with the advice on the Mix Pre 3 ii (need the "ii" for the 32 bit) I have one and love it! (snip) If I run the Mix Pre 3 stereo out into the komodo- will the sound track end up on the card and basically just be synced sound that's processed by the SD?
    Running the MixPre output into the Komodo should work just fine. That said, I would highly recommend copying the files from the SD card in the MixPre as a fail safe. 1/8" TRRS is not the most secure connection to begin with and all cameras have lots of electro-magnetic fields with the potential to impact the audio signal. Safe v sorry.

Cheers - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Tresch View Post
    Why use the sound with a recorder if you can record direclty on your camera with a smaller device?
    Well, I guess in my case because I already own the Sound Devices and it has really excellent sound.