Thread: Old school application vs app

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Old school application vs app 
    What is the purpose of apps?

To give us an application program on our phone?

I notice so many apps are just a website in disguise. The few useful ones I can think of are tools like directors viewfinder, measuring, etc.

What is the real purpose of an app, data collection? Advertising? To advertise companies product by having an app?

I don't like apps but wonder if I missing something.

Most things, especially things that cost money to develop, are developed to make money. If you pay for the app, it's profitable. If the app has built in ads, it's profitable.

Purpose? Yes, give you an application on the phone. Mainly the reason they are popular is push button convivence. Need to know where the sun will be for your golden hour martini shot? No need to whip out the string, stick, and protractor; just use the app. That's worth $$ to me.

Apps cover a broad range from usefulness to pure entertainment, all of which are things we seek.

Yep, lots of apps point to web pages. Advantages actually come with that particularly when updating the app or page. Somewhat similar to why I've kept my tools just as pages to bookmark rather than appify them.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dease View Post
    The few useful ones I can think of are tools like directors viewfinder, measuring, etc.
    API's. By building an App on a 'published' ecosystem like Android or Apple, you then gain access to their API. This is how your app can control the camera, flash or altimeter for example. It's much harder to do that via a web page which is 'sandboxed', not having direct access to those things and your storage. See an apps permissions in your phone, that's normally the giveaway to see what they're doing with an App vs a webpage.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dease View Post
    What is the purpose of apps?

To give us an application program on our phone?

I notice so many apps are just a website in disguise. The few useful ones I can think of are tools like directors viewfinder, measuring, etc.

What is the real purpose of an app, data collection? Advertising? To advertise companies product by having an app?

I don't like apps but wonder if I missing something.
    'App' is short for 'application' (i.e: software). Even full on applications/software/programs on "real" computers(like your desktop or laptop) are called/referred to as 'apps', today. (actually had this discussion back in like '08 or so with a friend after the App Store opened).

If you don't like apps, you don't like software/programs/applications. I think you're hung-up on the semantics and "free" apps available on cell phones that a lot of companies use to collect info on you to market stuff to you and/or sucker you in with the "freenes" of the app, but you really have to spend money to do anything in it.