Thread: Sigma FP vs Komodo

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    And thanks for all of this info and advice everyone. I think I still can't stop thinking about the Komodo, so I'm probably going to just buy one. Am I crazy- should i just be sticking to my FP?

Something about using the Komodo really delighted me this weekend and the files are just so easy to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by John Pike View Post
    And thanks for all of this info and advice everyone. I think I still can't stop thinking about the Komodo, so I'm probably going to just buy one. Am I crazy- should i just be sticking to my FP?

Something about using the Komodo really delighted me this weekend and the files are just so easy to work with.
    Komodo is very easy to work with yes.
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Morrison View Post
    Komodo is very easy to work with yes.
    I wonder if I'm crazy to spend so much for just that much more easiness- or is there really a lot more I'll gain with the Komodo?

Quote Originally Posted by John Pike View Post
    I wonder if I'm crazy to spend so much for just that much more easiness- or is there really a lot more I'll gain with the Komodo?
    are you really spending that much more though between the two systems ? keep in mind that unlike the Komodo, the Sigma FP cannot record RAW motion footage internally. so you would still need an Atomos or Blackmagic recorder to go with the Sigma to make use of the CinemaDNG from my understanding.
    Plus the komodo has a lot of other extremely neat features that the FP doesn't. keep the future and possible business/ production growth in mind.
    With the FP you ll be hitting the limit of its production capabilities fairly quick without stocking up on 3rd party gear....the Komodo seems to have a bit more room at the top.
    Dr. Dominik Münch D.O.C.A
    Filmmaker & Cinematographer
    Epic-W "Lucy"
    http://www.instagram.com/drdominikmuench

Quote Originally Posted by Dominik Muench View Post
    are you really spending that much more though between the two systems ? keep in mind that unlike the Komodo, the Sigma FP cannot record RAW motion footage internally. so you would still need an Atomos or Blackmagic recorder to go with the Sigma to make use of the CinemaDNG from my understanding.
    Plus the komodo has a lot of other extremely neat features that the FP doesn't. keep the future and possible business/ production growth in mind.
    With the FP you ll be hitting the limit of its production capabilities fairly quick without stocking up on 3rd party gear....the Komodo seems to have a bit more room at the top.
    That is incorrect. I have a 500 gig SSD drive that fits in a shoe mount on the Sigma FP that uses the USB-C cable that I record the RAW Cinema DNG files too. You do not need an external recorder. The internal card just can't handle that speed, so you need the external drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Wikstrom View Post
    That is incorrect. I have a 500 gig SSD drive that fits in a shoe mount on the Sigma FP that uses the USB-C cable that I record the RAW Cinema DNG files too. You do not need an external recorder. The internal card just can't handle that speed, so you need the external drive.

oh wow seriously ??? Is that with the new L model only or the original FP too ? impressive.
    Dr. Dominik Münch D.O.C.A
    Filmmaker & Cinematographer
    Epic-W "Lucy"
    http://www.instagram.com/drdominikmuench

The original FP too. It shoots cinemaDNG to an external SSD. Use Samsung T7s and T5s without any issue. If you want bRAW or Pro-Res however you'd need an ATMOS or the Blackmagic Monitor.

Otherwise I do mostly agree, that as an actual production camera the Komodo will likely shine and could probably be easily used for 5 years or so without significant upgrades.

The FP seems like it could be sort of fade away. One thing that's somewhat frustrating about the FP is just how niche it is. Very few people use one, and even less professionally so when searching for help your kind of on your own. That compared to for example this amazing community is a pretty big downfall.

oh wow seriously ??? Is that with the new L model only or the original FP too ? impressive.
    Recording raw over USB-C was a banner feature for the original fp from the get-go. I have a 1TB Samsung T5 for that purpose, and it works flawlessly.

That said, you CAN record cDNG internally to the SD card, but only at up to 8 bit. For the full 12-bit monte you have to use a USB-C device.

The catch is that the fp has some minor but dumbass frame rate and aspect ratio options. It does UHD but not DCI, and it does 23.98 and 25, but not 24. I reported that as a bug and Sigma copped an attitude about it, so IMO they blew it. It's a small thing, but that attitude is IMO foolish.

That said, I almost don't use my fp any longer now that have a Komodo. The resolution is very close, but the Komodo is fully functional without an external monitor, has wireless control via phone, and has 16-bit color. I plan to sell my fp as a result.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Rakesh Malik
    Director of Photography, Colorist
    http://WinterLight.studio
    http://www.imdb.me/rakeshmalik

Yep... like they said above. My komodo is great for local productions. But I am hoping to visit Egypt and play a tourist visiting the Pyramids and other sites once this pandemic has subsided. I would not want to take with my Komodo and Cinema lenses with for that. The Sigma will work great as a compact 12-Bit 4K Raw camera, and shoot stills.

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Wikstrom View Post
    Yep... like they said above. My komodo is great for local productions. But I am hoping to visit Egypt and play a tourist visiting the Pyramids and other sites once this pandemic has subsided. I would not want to take with my Komodo and Cinema lenses with for that. The Sigma will work great as a compact 12-Bit 4K Raw camera, and shoot stills.
    Put compact lenses on it, and a Komodo becomes a compact camera ;)

Put an 800mm lens on it, and it's no longer all that compact.

--------------------------------------------------------
    Rakesh Malik
    Director of Photography, Colorist
    http://WinterLight.studio
    http://www.imdb.me/rakeshmalik