Thread: Monstro + Canon FD Lenses + Sigma FF

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Monstro + Canon FD Lenses + Sigma FF 
    I'm an Epic-Weapon owner and for my next project. I'm shooting on a Monstro. I own a set of Canon FD's and since they're full frame. I know they'll cover the Monstro without cropping. Does anyone have any projects that they can share? I'd really love to see how the FD's look on the Monstro. Since our budget is tight if I don't go FD's then I'll need to go with Sigma FF Primes. I've seen the video that Phill created with Sigma's. Does anyone else have something shot on the Sigma's too that they can share?

Thanks in advance
    BRIAN BRADLEY FILMS
    Brian Bradley | DP - Director
    RED Epic-W Helium
    Movi m15 Owner/Operator
    San Francisco/Los Angeles
    www.brianbradleyfilms.com

This was shot by I believe Bjorn Benckert, a member of this forum on Monstro and FD's. It was one of the reasons I originally purchased FD's as the image quality is awesome for price and they cover full frame.

DSMC2 GEMINI + STORMTROOPER KOMODO

This show I worked on as b / gimbal operator was shot on K35s and Monstro. One set was an original housing that worked well enough (the 50 was a bit hazy) and an amazing re-housed set from TLS.

I haven't worked with Sigma Art lenses as of yet, save for toying around with my Sigma 18-35 that I won from a contest (gotta get the 50-100 to go with it!), but every time I've played around with them at conventions like NAB or in stores, they always get a "Woooow!" from me!

With Canon FDs, I've got almost a full set, lot of lucky finds in various places, and I want to get them rehoused at some point if I can afford to keep them around. So far, like many lens sets, I've found some winners and duds across the set, no real losers honestly, and I could definitely see using them as an alternative to my Rokinon Cine DS and Nikon lenses. K35 lenses are very close to them from everything I've read, haven't toyed with too many K35s personally, so you should feel confident in seeing K35 demo reels and examples as counting towards your research.

I would say they have an overall smoothness compared to my other lenses, plenty sharp enough and visually balanced and corrected at each focal length, really well matched across the line, and, unless they are rehoused, very small and light. Overall, I like the extra sparkle of my Nikons and solid cinematic tone of the Rokinon Cine DS lenses but if I needed something a bit majestic, I'd load up the Canon FDs for the job for sure.

More FD test clips on the bottom of this page.

https://syndicate.se/acquisition/

And here is a film we shot on FD more recently.

https://vimeo.com/474580932

Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    Monstro & Komodo

Here is a quite rough and sloppy lens test where we tested among other things some sigmas next to some FD´s, not the most scientific of tests and done on komodo but I think you will see some differences between the sigmas and FD´s in there even though it's not FF.

https://vimeo.com/523040287
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    Monstro & Komodo

Interesting!
    Question to Björn, were the FD's all L glass?
    Keen now to pick up a set of these for myself.
    Cheers!
    Patrick Webb,
    Director of Photography
    Heapsgood Productions, Trondheim Norway.
    (www.Heapsgood.no)
    EPIC-X #06833 "Monsta"
    DZOFilm Pictor Cine Zoom, Carl Zeiss, Voigtänder & Soviet glass

This video will answer most of your questions...

L series are the later versions and are more closer to EF glass but with lower contrast IMO. SSC are the earlier versions of FD lenses and are more solid metal construction and have the more sought after SSC coating and glass chemistry that is closer to K35 lenses from the same era. The 50mm/1.4 ssc is a real winner IMO (personally own) and can be found very cheap and is very close to the performance and in some scenarios actually outperforms the much more expensive 55/1.2 SSC or 50/1.2 L series versions. There are some comparison videos out there on YouTube if you look around between the different versions. There are also comparisons between FD glass and Leica R's which are quite similar despite their vast difference in price. The aspherical FD's 24/55/85 1.2's go for pretty extreme prices as there is much more awareness for FD lenses nowadays and these specific lenses are being picked up by rental houses for rehousing as a cine-set or to match k35 glass since focal lengths were limited. If you don't mind using a Canon FD mount on the RED you can assemble a used set of SSC lenses very cheaply and it will essentially give you the same look as a set of K35's. Or you can always have them modified by Simmod or Duclos which is the route I went.

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickWebb View Post
    Interesting!
    Question to Björn, were the FD's all L glass?
    Keen now to pick up a set of these for myself.
    Cheers!
    Last edited by Andrew Reese; 04-13-2021 at 05:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Reese View Post

This video will answer most of your questions...

L series are the later versions and are more closer to EF glass but with lower contrast IMO. SSC are the earlier versions of FD lenses and are more solid metal construction and have the more sought after SSC coating and glass chemistry that is closer to K35 lenses from the same era. The 50mm/1.4 ssc is a real winner IMO (personally own) and can be found very cheap and is very close to the performance and in some scenarios actually outperforms the much more expensive 55/1.2 SSC or 50/1.2 L series versions. There are some comparison videos out there on YouTube if you look around between the different versions. There are also comparisons between FD glass and Leica R's which are quite similar despite their vast difference in price. The aspherical FD's 24/55/85 1.2's go for pretty extreme prices as there is much more awareness for FD lenses nowadays and these specific lenses are being picked up by rental houses for rehousing as a cine-set or to match k35 glass since focal lengths were limited. If you don't mind using a Canon FD mount on the RED you can assemble a used set of SSC lenses very cheaply and it will essentially give you the same look as a set of K35's. Or you can always have them modified by Simmod or Duclos which is the route I went.
    Great! Thanks for this. I did a quick scout online and some of those lenses are pretty damn expensive now! I guess this is a major reason why. Anyway, I would love to see how the mod looks, have you got a reference, of if you can be bothered taking a photo of you lenses to share?

Cheers!
    Patrick Webb,
    Director of Photography
    Heapsgood Productions, Trondheim Norway.
    (www.Heapsgood.no)
    EPIC-X #06833 "Monsta"
    DZOFilm Pictor Cine Zoom, Carl Zeiss, Voigtänder & Soviet glass

The mod is pretty simple. Just check out Simmod's or Duclos website. I went with simmod for the following:

Ed Mika - EF Mount Conversion
    https://www.simmodlens.com/product-p...conversion-kit

80mm Step-Up Ring:
    https://www.simmodlens.com/product-page/80mm-front-ring

Focus Gears:
    https://www.simmodlens.com/followfocusgears

EF Rear Cap:
    https://www.simmodlens.com/product-p...d-cap-ef-mount

80mm Front Cap:
    https://www.simmodlens.com/product-p...mm-od-114mm-od

These are not the pretties of pics but here are a few I was able to take quick with my cell phone today before I ran out the door and an old pic I had on my phone from a past shoot.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...GB?usp=sharing
    Last edited by Andrew Reese; 04-14-2021 at 03:26 PM.