Thread: Best LED options?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer Glans View Post
    I'm also a bit unsure of going bi-color...would a daylight with some gel be enough?
    If you're using the Aputure Light Dome II with these lights, it makes gelling easy because it has a built-in frame near the mount. But I admit that it makes life much easier to have a bicolor light-- it's just that you're trading convenience for power. (Or more flexibility. Yesterday I wanted a little more color contrast, so I dialed in 6000 for cooler fill light. I never would have bothered if I'd had to use gels.)

As for power, I can only speak for myself, but for common interior soft light tasks like shooting interviews, lighting 9-foot backdrop, enhancing/extending sunlight, filling or raising ambient a little in a small-to-medium-sized room, I think a pair of 200 watt COB lights-- or a pair of 100 watt panel lights--will be quite effective. And they all work with great softboxes and grids that will take care of a lot of your light shaping and softness needs. If you need to do all of those tasks at once, or if you want to get much softer than, say, a 4x4 with half grid, then I think you'll start to notice limits. If you're trying to raise ambient in a ballroom, you'll struggle. But I'm sure you knew that.

The Aputure's are really versatile because of the Bowens Mount. I have 2 x 300D and 2x 120D. I bought a bunch of modifiers (softbox, china ball, fresnel, barn doors, space lights, snoot, etc) and a few $22 kits of CTO. They are easy to gel.

However, I find myself using my IntellyTech Litecloth LC-160 a lot. I like double diffusion and the small form factor allows a large source in front of another large diffuser in tight spaces (indoor narrative). An Aputure could also work the same as a book light. The Litecloth also is great for a toppy source on a c-stand arm in smaller rooms. It is surprisingly bright and bi-color. They are also silent with no fans.

I also have Quasar tubes that spray soft light everywhere. I bought some grids for them to help control spill. The Rainbows are versatile but expensive. I would avoid the bi-colors until the new twist connection comes out. The original connection sparks and frequently stops working.

LED technology has come really far. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the options being discussed.
    Last edited by Tom S; 04-09-2021 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
    LED technology has come really far. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the options being discussed.
    This is pretty much how I feel about the current state of the market too. I've done super short run and gun gigs using the small Godox LEDP260C as a key light. Obviously a cheap, low output fixture but for some projects and clients, it makes sense to use smaller stuff when you need to work fast. I'm always of the opinion it doesn't really matter what light you have, it's how you use it that matters the most.

I've used fixtures like the T8 Quasar tubes, Godox lights of all kinds, a Mole Senior 900w LED Fresnel, and a handful of other styles, sizes, and brands of lights over the years as the tech matured; To me, LED is in that perfect cost to performance ratio on all ends of the budget spectrum. Whatever you value most in your fixtures, there's pretty much a solution out there that will fit in your workflow. I would say just think of what style of LED fixture you want and would get the most use out of, and then look at the options available and pick what you think you would like to work with the most.

I'm certainly one to nitpick small details like how do header cables connect? Can I get an extension? Is the ballast noisy? How much does the head weigh? Can it be battery powered? Bi color? How much output is there compared to the beam angle? Is the beam an even field or spotty? How are the controls? Can it be packed away quickly? Is the included case designed for every little piece to be broken down way too much to fit? What accessories or modifiers can I get? Does it even need modifiers? All that and more is what runs through my head when I'm looking into new lighting toys. It helps when I can watch reviews on YouTube to find these things out ahead of time.

I've had nothing but good experiences with Falcon eyes stuff. It kicks ass. Color has always matched HMIs and daylight perfectly.

Nick

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Gardner View Post
    I've had nothing but good experiences with Falcon eyes stuff. It kicks ass. Color has always matched HMIs and daylight perfectly.

Nick
    This includes the RX-24TDX (II)? I skipped looking at panels like that before because they had awful tint over time and couldn't be used properly after some time, but has this changed now? Can this panel be used without such problems over time? (I know LEDs go a bit green-tinted after a while, but not too much?)

How about their RGB options? If this is mainly used as a keylight, would the RX-824-K1 work as well or better? Would be nice to have the option to do color lights as well.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600 Red Komodo #002397

I have six of the 18x24 daylight rx whatever they are. No bicolor, no RGB. I haven't had any tint shift that is noticeable in several years of using them heavily. I use them for what they are good at, which is being a big soft source with a thin profile. You can take a c stand, and an arm with 6 grip heads, and put six of them on one stand horizontaly. 3 over, 3 under. That gives you a pretty huge source that takes up very little room. Of course also great for arming out, taping to a ceiling, velcroing anywhere, roll them up, put them on a boom pole, use them like a china ball, they are pretty great. I have only recently started using RGB lights for certain aplications. Usually when I need tungsten, I just use tungsten, and when I need daylight, I need max output, so I have all most all my LEDs as daylight only.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Gardner View Post
    I have six of the 18x24 daylight rx whatever they are. No bicolor, no RGB. I haven't had any tint shift that is noticeable in several years of using them heavily. I use them for what they are good at, which is being a big soft source with a thin profile. You can take a c stand, and an arm with 6 grip heads, and put six of them on one stand horizontaly. 3 over, 3 under. That gives you a pretty huge source that takes up very little room. Of course also great for arming out, taping to a ceiling, velcroing anywhere, roll them up, put them on a boom pole, use them like a china ball, they are pretty great. I have only recently started using RGB lights for certain aplications. Usually when I need tungsten, I just use tungsten, and when I need daylight, I need max output, so I have all most all my LEDs as daylight only.

Nick
    You'd recommend getting the new RX-24TDX (II) instead of Falcon Eyes's RGB version? I'm pretty much decided on getting the Falcon Eyes one due to the compact size and I'll wait out for some daylight LED and see if there's something new coming out cheaper that can be my sunlight powerhouse. I usually just need to have a soft key and that's why the RX-24TDX (II) seems like a good choice. However, I'm not sure if it's better than their bit more expensive RGB version, which would give me a lot more options in terms of colored lights. But I might just go with the RX-24TDX (II) and some Apurture MC's for VFX stuff.

So, get the regular RX-24TDX (II) or the RGB version, in your opinion?
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."

Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer Glans View Post
    You'd recommend getting the new RX-24TDX (II) instead of Falcon Eyes's RGB version?
    I'll let Nick reply with his own thoughts. But I think it comes down to how much power you need, given that you want to use this as a key light. RGB lights are almost invariably less powerful (at a given size or power) than white spectrum lights. For me, that makes anything other than smaller accent lights (I own Luxli Cello, Aputure B7C bulbs) something to rent instead of own. Your needs may be different.

Quote Originally Posted by M Harvey View Post
    I'll let Nick reply with his own thoughts. But I think it comes down to how much power you need, given that you want to use this as a key light. RGB lights are almost invariably less powerful (at a given size or power) than white spectrum lights. For me, that makes anything other than smaller accent lights (I own Luxli Cello, Aputure B7C bulbs) something to rent instead of own. Your needs may be different.
    Yeah, I was thinking in line with this as well. And with the Aputure MCs I think I'll have all the color light needs covered. I mean, I got the speed booster on my Komodo, it eats light for breakfast so for low-key lighting the MCs can even act as keylights if needed. Thanks!

If nothing else comes out, I think that for "sun replacement" in the future, the UL150 would be enough. Or I just rent an Aputure 600D.

Just my personal experience, Yeah, I'd just get the daylight versions (if they still make them, may have to get bi-color). I also have six apature MCs and they fill my RGB needs. BI don't have any experience with the RGB versions of the matt lights, so I can't be of much help there.

Nick