Thread: What happened to B&H?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 What happened to B&H? 
    Title says it all what happened to B&H and their
    customer service?
    I used to get purchases in 48h to London and Paris, last order took 6 month and I now have a lost parcel they refuse to refund as it has not been 2 month. When I send a link with the DHL terms stating a claim must be made within 30 days not after 60 days the operator ended the chat. Emails go completely unanswered.
    Their service used to be nothing short of exceptional but my recent experiences are very different, anyone else noticed that? Is it time to look elsewhere for professional purchases?

Can't speak for B&H but I would try again and speak to someone else there. Perhaps due to covid and the recent pass-over holiday, they are suffering from some poor customer service, delays, and even misinformed staff. Not an excuse but because they have been good in the past, I'd be willing to give them more chance to resolve and/or meet past customer service quality.

Hopefully someone (maybe a manager) with more knowledgable experience/power there will pick up the ball and resolve your situation.
    Movme inc.
    Scarlet-X, Epic-X, Dragon, Epic-W, Komodo
    MacBook Pro 6 core, FCP-X, OSEE, Dynacore Tiny Batteries, DJI RS2

I don't know what has happened to them other than the aforementioned changes in our world...but I have had trouble of various types for quite a while now. I get served the Fred Smith/pandemic/new business/fitness instructor ad about 25 times a day, however, so they have that working. Recently I ordered a lens cap for one of my Otus lenses and it took 12 days to get to me. I could walk to New York and back from where I live in Boston in 12 days. First they said it was lost. DHL said it was lost. So they said they would send a new one. it took another week or so and right before it showed up, the first one was delivered. 12 days. Whats more, for tax reasons, I like to use B&H to see what I ordered throughout the years, (no, I don't deduct lens caps) and the order appears nowhere. They refunded my money on the first order and then never charged me for the second. Anybody need a lens cap for a Zeiss Otus 55mm?
    Monstro 8K VV 025118 Lena
    Forged CF Helium 8K 00107
    Storm Trooper Komodo 0149
    Scarlet X 02249 (The Gateway Drug)
    RED Pro Zooms
    Zeiss Otus
    Xeen CF
    Director/DP at https://www.butcherbox.com

Living life by the ocean.

Interesting they admitted it got lost and send a new one, which I was told they won't do unless 60 days have passed. Its been one month and by now the grip for the GFX100 is no longer available (it was 10 days ago when I tried to get in contact via email).
    Speaking to someone is impossible other than via the chat function, the customer service hotline announced 70+ and 80+ minutes waiting time...

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Konrad View Post
    Speaking to someone is impossible other than via the chat function, the customer service hotline announced 70+ and 80+ minutes waiting time...
    Been this way for a while with a lot of US businesses. Many companies are still working with lower capacity in offices or staggered shifts to limit exposure. Not to mention some companies furloughed or downsized a great deal during the height of the pandemic.

Don't know what the exact case is, but around mid April through mid June we'll likely see a pretty big difference in the states on that front leading into September. At least that's what the whispers in the walls say.

Depending a great deal on the company, manufacturers, resellers, etc. Many companies might not be up to full capacity for 6 months to 2 years depending on a lot of factors. Speaking to resellers then manufacturers has been chaotic to say the least. One lens company is literally waiting for bolts that have been clogged up in the ports. Add into the mix the extended chaos of the AKM fire last October, a whole bunch of other stuff got whacked in terms of being made.

I have 6 items in my B&H cart that have been backordered for several months likely due to a lot of this.

Fair enough that there are currently supply difficulties due to Covid related factory closures an of course that is outside B&H control.
    But I purchased an "in stock" item that has been stuck without shipping updates for 3 weeks and at least over here emails still work and I have not hung up on any of my customers because of a pandemic.
    Does customer service not become more important when you cannot guarantee the same level of service your clients are used to?

Since the "Covid Shutdown" last year, they have been anything but reliable. For years, they have been the gold standard, so to speak, for ease and speed. If I had my order placed before the late afternoon cut-off, it was to me in two days with the free shipping option. After the shut down, it's been averaging at least a week for in-stock items. Sometimes not even shipping for a week, then transit time.

I ordered a smallHD wireless monitor last summer and it was defective right out of the box. It took almost an entire month to exchange it, AND it was an in-stock item.

Trying to get through to an actual person either via phone or on-line chat was next to impossible, but email was reasonably fast(usually less than 10 mins), at least as far as getting responses for RA numbers and price matching.

I have started looking for and buying some smaller items on Amazon. MUCH faster shipping and exchanges/returns. The biggest thing B&H has going for them, for me, is that they "cover" my sales tax.

One other thing, their shipping times have been much less reliable, in-general, since they moved their main warehouse to NJ a few years ago.

I'm local, so maybe that's a factor in the fact that things with B&H have been better (or at least more predictable) for me. but I haven't noticed delays with stuff shipped from their NJ warehouse (such as my Komodo-- the only delays were with Red). Also haven't had problems with returns, and there've been several.

I totally get the frustrations. But, with the exception of Amazon, are there companies that sell equipment that have adapted especially well to crazy pandemic world? I like B&H because they can actually offer expert information on the products-- not just something someone remembered from a youtube "review." But I think it's a really difficult situation.

I've been wondering the same thing. They've been fine for me since the beginning of COVID, but in the last two weeks they've biffed it on three orders. I just bought an RF 50 1.2 and 24-70 from Amazon today because my last order from BH that was supposed to be 2 days arriving last Weds (and subsequently, ready for my shoot) still hasn't arrived. I'm also on the Payboo thing, and the 4.5% sales tax savings is less than my 5% back on Amazon with the Amazon business amex.

In B&H’s defense...

I purchased an Fx9 from B&H on Monday. B&H shipped it out on Tuesday, FedEx notice says it will arrive here at my home in NOLA by noon today ( Thursday ).

I did pay an additional $40 for expedited shipping.

But yes, Phil nailed it.

“ COVID-19 Pandemic and Slow Recovery Disrupts World Shipping”

https://www.thepoultrysite.com/artic...world-shipping