Thread: 5inch vs 7inch on camera monitor for the Komodo

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Solowiej View Post
    I ordered one of these too. Hoping to love it. 5 can be a bit small. 7 is a bit big/heavy. For under $400 we'll see how the LUT6S pans out. Super bonus, it passes SDI through to HDMI output to use with the RS2.
    It does? I've heard the opposite? Because if it works, the only thing we would need would be a flexible 12G cable from the camera and we can put the RavenEye on the monitor instead. I would really like to get a confirmation if this is possible.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600 Red Komodo #002397

It doesn't. An ebay seller from Brooklyn (Focuscamera) told me it worked. Feelworld-official-store-us confirmed last night that it does not, after my tests were unsuccessful. My hope was to use it with Raveneye also. SmallHD make the only ones I know that do this pass-through from SDI in to HDMI out. Sorry to mislead!

I just read B&H's product FAQ and their staff also stated that it does not cross-convert the signals, just loop-out (SDI and HDMI separately).

Hey Everyone,

Apologies in advanced for my newbie question here.. but fairly new to RED in general, and I know the suggested SDI cables for the Komodo are 12G SDI; I am noticing that the monitors all states 3g SDI output. so my question is this; It's okay to have a 12G SDI cable connected to the Monitor to Camera?

Really would appreciate your wisdom.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Scanlon View Post
    Hey Everyone,

Apologies in advanced for my newbie question here.. but fairly new to RED in general, and I know the suggested SDI cables for the Komodo are 12G SDI; I am noticing that the monitors all states 3g SDI output. so my question is this; It's okay to have a 12G SDI cable connected to the Monitor to Camera?

Really would appreciate your wisdom.

Thanks!

Yeah its fine. The camera is capable of sending a 4K signal which requires a 12G cable. But if the monitor only supports 1080 signal, a 12G cable is still ok. You just have to change the output settings on the camera to HD.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Gotchaaa!!! Thanks for that info my friend.