Thread: Komodo Antenna Boost Options?!?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Komodo Antenna Boost Options?!? 
    Edit/Updated:

I guess Critical Communication Protocol testing is about done :)

Foxeer 5.8Ghz RP-SMA Female Lollipops & Pagoda do outperform the stock antenna by over 10db's at times as much as 13db's.
    Now it's a matter of deciding of how much they outperform each other and which fits better the needs... And also looks ;)

Both are also just tall enough to stick their head out from top of camera for an unobstructed 360 Degree signal.

Let's see how they work out!

Thanks for your input everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    No Mike,
    Just a bigger/stronger one to replace the one on the Komodo.

Really depends. I’ve played around with a fair few antenna bodging doing wireless tX / broadcast. Factor in line of sight / how high you can mount the tx antennae and go from there. If not line of sight, mushroom antennae are great.

Various options here:

https://www.rfsolutions.co.uk/antennas-c8/2-5m-t441

Not sure if you can simply unscrew the Komodo antenna like a router but if you can, try swapping it with a bigger & better dual gain one & see if it makes a difference? If not, you’ll have to replace the inside part. You can do this with DSMC2 (though it voids the warranty) but there are other options from wooden camera et all too requiring less video bodging.

Craig Lees
    UK

No expert advice here, but according to this insta post, you can improve transmission by using a long range (fpv drone gear) antenna. Worth a try as they don't cost a fortune, IMO.

I would look into something like a Teradek Link. I use this with my Cube 655 to extend its range. I’ve also tested it with my Canon R5 in infrastructure mode to relay the signal from my camera to my phone connected thru the Link. It’s rock solid.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Lees View Post
    Really depends. I’ve played around with a fair few antenna bodging doing wireless tX / broadcast. Factor in line of sight / how high you can mount the tx antennae and go from there. If not line of sight, mushroom antennae are great.

Various options here:

https://www.rfsolutions.co.uk/antennas-c8/2-5m-t441

Not sure if you can simply unscrew the Komodo antenna like a router but if you can, try swapping it with a bigger & better dual gain one & see if it makes a difference? If not, you’ll have to replace the inside part. You can do this with DSMC2 (though it voids the warranty) but there are other options from wooden camera et all too requiring less video bodging.

Craig Lees
    UK
    Yes Craig,
    You can, and in al honesty the signal its pretty good, but just wanted to improve it as much as possible, just a little stronger bigger then the one it comes with.
    Not doing anything internally, I'll look those up.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Almquist View Post
    I would look into something like a Teradek Link. I use this with my Cube 655 to extend its range. I’ve also tested it with my Canon R5 in infrastructure mode to relay the signal from my camera to my phone connected thru the Link. It’s rock solid.
    Not looking to add anything to the body Aaron,
    Just swapping the Antenna.

Will use Wireless Video Transmitters if I decide to go that route for Monitoring, but don't want to bulk up the base set up for Wi-Fi transmission.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas B. View Post
    No expert advice here, but according to this insta post, you can improve transmission by using a long range (fpv drone gear) antenna. Worth a try as they don't cost a fortune, IMO.
    I did look in to them Thomas,
    Actually it's one of the model I emailed Jarred about it ;)

Might be my best option after all.

That’s the beauty of using an external router like the Teradek Link (or even your home router) you don’t add anything to the camera build. The internal WiFi on the Komodo and all cameras for that matter don’t have the power to push out a strong signal. But if you connect the camera to a strong wifi you solve that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Almquist View Post
    That’s the beauty of using an external router like the Teradek Link (or even your home router) you don’t add anything to the camera build. The internal WiFi on the Komodo and all cameras for that matter don’t have the power to push out a strong signal. But if you connect the camera to a strong wifi you solve that problem.
    I know Aaron,
    However in this case we'll be in a remote Area with NO Internet. So this is why I am looking to fortify the signal off the Komodo trough a larger stronger Antenna, without adding bulk or weight or any cables to the Komodo.

What will you be using the singnal for? If video viewing on phones then the vaxis Atom for Komodo is a great option, 3 phones with less lag then the signal direct from camera. But no guy to control the camera.

Best picture to phone I find Dji raveneye to have, great little box for the price but needs a hdmi feed, which I can get from the vaxis or other ski to hdmi but not directly from camera.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro