Thread: Best Daylight Viewable Komodo Monitor Option

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Ketch Rossi View Post
    The FeelWorld LUT6S has 3G-SDI & 4k HDMI.
    Yes, I have the LUT7S and I understood Christoffer's questions as whether it is possible to have HDMI out from the monitor when it is fed with an SDI in signal. Unless I'm wrong with the interpretation, that's not working.

Quote Originally Posted by Bérenger Brillante View Post
    I also consider my monitors for their menus.

SmallHD menus are good, but the picture is often softish.
    Portkeys menus are good, and the image is good.
    Tvlogic don't have many features, but they have the best image and color accuracy. It's just the most pleasing camera monitors to look at.
    Atomos menus are terrible, and the panels are meh.
    Feelworld have terrible menus also, the worst. It reminds me of Liliput legacy monitors.

So,
    You can't go wrong with a SmallHD or TVlogic.
    If money is a concern (which I doubt), the Feelworld is the best bang for bucks, but only if they have upped their game with casing and menus since last year.

The Portkeys is the best of them all. I bought one.

Not a fanboy for Portkeys, I have also a TVlogic 058 and F5A and I work with F7h on a daily basis. I've had also a SmallHD 503 and 702 (and a DP1x and DP6)
    I have also a Feelworld FW279S which I've put it in a cage, hardmounted the SDI to avoid any damages with it.

The portkeys have one thing I love. It's the will to offer new features.

I just discovered the Nucleus focus pulling option, and having touch focus on non-red monitor is awesome.
    The minute they release the BM5-III WR I will upgrade my BM5-II to have full Komodo control.
    The menus could be a bit simpler, but as they offer tons of features, it crowded.

Just wait a bit for the BM5-III WR release.
    Thanks for your thoughts Bérenger,
    My main concern is Brightness, second is Image and last is the Menu UI.

But I did looked at the TVlogic, and they are a bit cumbersome.

I also looked at the Portkey BM5 III and almost went for it, so I'll keep an eye out still for that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeder View Post
    Yes, I have the LUT7S and I understood Christoffer's questions as whether it is possible to have HDMI out from the monitor when it is fed with an SDI in signal. Unless I'm wrong with the interpretation, that's not working.
    Got you,
    Haven't tested yet but I'll only need SDI any ways ;)

Senior Member Bérenger Brillante's Avatar
    Well for brightness, the OSEE is the best it seems. I don't have the 7" 3000nits though so can't confirm its true brightness.
    Problem with OSEE is the lack of features. You really can't do a damn thing with these monitors (the 15, 17 and 21,5 at least, I've owned the 3 of them).

The Feelworld I have is marketed a 2200nits but is more 1500nitsn which is really fine nevertheless.
    Bérenger B. Brillante
    --Director Showreel--

Quote Originally Posted by Bérenger Brillante View Post
    Well for brightness, the OSEE is the best it seems. I don't have the 7" 3000nits though so can't confirm its true brightness.
    Problem with OSEE is the lack of features. You really can't do a damn thing with these monitors (the 15, 17 and 21,5 at least, I've owned the 3 of them).

The Feelworld I have is marketed a 2200nits but is more 1500nitsn which is really fine nevertheless.
    Yeah looked at the Osee as well but too big,
    This is why the FeelWorld 6" seemed a good compromise with the 5" & 7".

We'll see, if not good enough will move to a different one, but I think I do want to also test out the PortKey 5.5" BM5 III because I will also be using Nucleus systems on all 3 cameras as I am trying to trick the Hand Controller to trigger all 3 Cameras at once with the R/S button.

I posted about this here: http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...ecord-Control-!

Since RED recommends avoiding D-tap cables, which of these can be powered via lemo connector?
    Bill Totolo
    billtotolo.com

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Totolo View Post
    Since RED recommends avoiding D-tap cables, which of these can be powered via lemo connector?
    Wouldn't a lemo be universal as you have the lemo out of the power source/plate and then a normal input for the monitor, as long as the volt is correct.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600 Red Komodo #002397

Dtap is just a connector, it can easily be replaced with a lemo connector.

The only differnce between the two is that when inserting a male lemo into a female lemo, you will 99.999999% of the time ground the connector before you connect the + pol. On a Dtap connector you chance is 50/50.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Lemo also offers better shielding than D-tap.

Cheers - #19