Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: RED APPLE WORKFLOW INSTALLER V18.0 (Apple Silicon support)

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mac mini M1 with 16 GB memory, 11.3 (beta) Big Sur, Red Workflow 18, and having the issues described. Also on a MacBook Pro M1 with the same specs.
    DSMC2 Helium 1402
    DSMC2 Helium 6423

2.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sherrick View Post
    But this new one? Well, in the attachments the crisper image is while the footage is paused, the pixelated image is when it's playing back. Doesn't even look like normal pixelation, very distorted and weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Dishler View Post
    Also, when playing 8k footage (Helium) in viewer under better performance it looks totally wonky like some weird blocky interlaced look. Switching to better quality makes the image look good, but it stutters badly (as sort of expected but thought the optomization to M1 might help).
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hofmeyr View Post
    And it is not just better performance playback - proxies created by FCP come out blocky as well. See attached screenshot. This happens when GPU Decode is OFF in Redcode prefs. Turning it ON fixes the problem but increases the transcode time dramatically.
    We've gotten reports this is fixed on macOS 11.2.2. Which version are you on, and if lower, can you upgrade to the latest?
    ROBCODE Santa Claus @ RED

"You get the chicken by waiting for the egg to hatch, not by smashing it with a hammer" - Jarred

3.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    I reported the following over 6 months ago and Red put it on their known issues list and said it would be fixed with the next release, it is not. The setting of a LUT in camera should be imported with the IPP2 settings but it is not and used to be.
    LUT should be auto applied, unless you have FCP copying media on import in to the library. That's not something we control and has to get fixed in FCP. If you're seeing issues when you leave the media where it is and 3D LUTs then please provide a detailed step-by-step and email me a sample clip (my email is my first name at red.com)

Finally, comparing the image with the exact same settings in FCP, DaVinci Resolve, and Red Cine-X I find that the latter two look exactly alike, whereas the FCP image looks less saturated, flatter, and about a stop more exposed. (UPDATE, WHEN I LOWER THE ISO IN THE RED SETTINGS WITHIN FCP BY 2 STOPS IT CLOSELY MATCHES THE OTHERS, WHICH MEANS THAT APPLE IS PERHAPS STILL INTERPRETING ISO BASED ON THE "OLD SETTINGS?).
    Can you confirm for me what Image Pipeline and Decode Transform are set to in the REDcode Preference Panel under the FCP X Image Pipeline tab? Also, when you bring such a clip in, what is shown for color space & gamma in the clip properties inside FCP?

"You get the chicken by waiting for the egg to hatch, not by smashing it with a hammer" - Jarred

4.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian Fitzpatrick View Post
    FYI - Even this new version still have clips turning black in FCPX after a little bit. That looks unresolved.
    This issue was fixed in plugin 17.1 How many clips are in your project? How many R3D files (not clips) total? I assume you restarted your system after installing this latest update?

5.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Timmons View Post
    For the RED team, please look even deeper into this issue.
    Perhaps consider having some of us to Beta test future RED Apple Installer bug fixes and updates.
    Which issue are you talking about here? RED users part of the Apple FCP beta got access to our plugin and we received no reports of issues.

I would be happy to test an update the current one and see if it fixes things. I was previously a beta tester for Red camera firmware.
    DSMC2 Helium 1402
    DSMC2 Helium 6423

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lohman View Post
    We've gotten reports this is fixed on macOS 11.2.2. Which version are you on, and if lower, can you upgrade to the latest?
    Hi Rob. I'm on 11.2.2 and it is definitely not fixed.

Rob, the issues I’m having are the ones mentioned in Post #3 by Brian. constant spinning beach balls, VERY slow imports, generally lagging performance. Earlier versions of FCPX with R3Ds had much better performance on the same hardware. Problems seem to have begun once Apple updated their OS/FCPX and RED updated the workflow plugin. Mojave and FCPX 10.4.7 were pretty solid with R3D. Something seems to have changed. Perhaps we are talking about different issues (black frames/pixelation vs general performance issues). Is it possible that this has anything to do with GPU changes that were done in the RED Apple workflow plugin? Or is it something Apple has done on their end?
    Steve Sherrick

Yes, different problems, mine is mostly about playing 8k R3D in better performance it is very pixelated in vertical stripes, in better quality it cannot play in real time and stutters, do not see how the M1 integration has improved performance. There is also some mis-match in ISO between what is set and displayed and very different from the same file in Red Cine X or Resolve. Also, I was told that the issue of losing any applied in camera LUT when transferring files to FCP X would be fixed in this next update, and that did not happen. Adding a LUT after the fact in FCP X is not the right place in the chain.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Jon Dishler; 03-08-2021 at 12:56 PM.
    DSMC2 Helium 1402
    DSMC2 Helium 6423

10. #30 Update 
    M1 Macbook Pro 8GB here.

I can't upgrade to 11.2.2 Due to incompatibilities with Softraid and our OWC SSD Raid Boxes.

I could upgrade to 11.3 Public Beta where apparently the softraid issue is resolved, but it sounds like people are dealing with the same issues. Mine primarlly is the blocky playback in better performance with the vertical stripes etc. as I previously posted ITT.

I downgraded to fcpx 10.5.1 and at least the playback is not pixely and weird, but still have the black clips after editing for a while that requires me to restart FCPX to get them to re-appear.

Sounds like the people ITT haven't had a lot of luck with 11.3 though, so I'm hesitant to upgrade and dance this dance again now that it's semi-stable again.