Thread: Most footage from the Komodo looks... really bad?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The footage I have seen our team shoot on Komodo intercuts with 8K Helium footage shot in the same situations quite nicely. It is used mainly on a DJI RS2 for light weight on the handheld rig.

Good images aren't created by the camera, they're captured by the camera. The scene has to be set first.

A camera is essentially just a light measuring device. What's important is that it can capture enough information about the scene to be free of most artifacts and do it in a repeatable, predictable way every time. But the camera doesn't dictate what you point it at and that's where "not so great footage" can come from. As the cameras get cheaper they become more accessible. Which is great! But you have to take video examples on YouTube with a huge grain of salt. Christoffer also brings up a great point that the truly fantastic images from Komodo probably won't be advertised as such.

My personal experience with my Komodo is that it can go head to head with my Helium and that's all the proof I needed to know that this camera can capture some truly great images. But no camera is magic; the burden is still on me to try to light scenes that people will actually want to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Lochert View Post
    Good images aren't created by the camera, they're captured by the camera. The scene has to be set first.

A camera is essentially just a light measuring device. What's important is that it can capture enough information about the scene to be free of most artifacts and do it in a repeatable, predictable way every time. But the camera doesn't dictate what you point it at and that's where "not so great footage" can come from. As the cameras get cheaper they become more accessible. Which is great! But you have to take video examples on YouTube with a huge grain of salt. Christoffer also brings up a great point that the truly fantastic images from Komodo probably won't be advertised as such.

My personal experience with my Komodo is that it can go head to head with my Helium and that's all the proof I needed to know that this camera can capture some truly great images. But no camera is magic; the burden is still on me to try to light scenes that people will actually want to look at.
    +1 billion

I can show you Red One footage looks thousand times better than any Helium or Arri footage.It all depends on the capture method and color correction.

"Have camera... will work for lunch money"

- recipe for bad footage.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

'It's the cinematographer/cinematography that matters' is not the flex you guys think it is... Sure, it's 100% true. But it's equally true of every camera, including ones that are technically similar to Komodo (aka sub-8k raw, ~12 stops DR), but are cheaper, faster, lighter, easier, etc etc.

That being said, to the OP, the top three hits searching YouTube for "Komodo Test" looked pretty mint. Especially Juan's (but he's also a competent colourist, so he could probably make cellphone footage passable). I'm not sure what you're seeing that makes you think it doesn't look great, but nothing I've seen makes it look any less capable (especially if you're mindful of RED specific nuances). Tack on wireless connectivity, global shutter, r3d colourscience/workflow integration, phase detect autofocus, focal reducer or ND EF adapters, and it does fit into a unique market segment, regardless of image quality comparisons.