Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: I didn't want to make this public, but...

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

1. #1 I didn't want to make this public, but... 
    EDIT*

JARRED LAND & The RED team replied extremely quick after I posted this. They helped me sort out the situation and I greatly appreciate it. This is really amazing customer service, Thank you to the RED team, Im very grateful.

Hello,

So I didn’t want to take this public because I don’t get any satisfaction out of bashing camera companies but this is really aggravating to me. I invested in a brand new RED Gemini package a little over a year ago.

- One year ago I purchased a 480gb mini mag which ended up shitting the bed, this particular mag only had about 50 hrs on it and was in perfect condition. I sent the mini mag to red and the response was

“our techs are unable to pin point the problem but here is a link to buy a new one”.

Shooting aside, I was a camera assistant for 10 years and have seen what these mags are able to handle in the field, thousands of hours in varying conditions. My question is, in what world would anyone spend 1500$ on a hard drive that lasts 50 hrs? Personally I wouldn’t spend 50$ on something that lasted 50 hrs. It’s bad enough they have recently switched to much more affordable CFast cards but I already knew going into this company that they weren’t going to make any decisions based on helping their customers investment, I just really liked the Gemini sensor.

Red replied and is willing to take 300$ off a new card. I told them I want a replacement.
    Am I crazy?

UPDATE**

RED told me I took too long to respond and considered my card Abandoned due to Terms and Services, they "consumed" my card and will not return it broken.

This is wrong to do to a customer who invested 40K into your company. So what if I took a little longer to respond after having 4 pages of conversations, not everyone has 1500 a year to spend on new media that keeps breaking.

Just to make this clear, I spent 1500.00 on a card that lasted 50 hrs... they're response was to throw it away to get me to buy a new one.

WTFFFF.

I guess I can't due anything because they are clear about not wanting to help their customers.

=
    Last edited by John Fitzpatrick; 02-26-2021 at 03:42 PM.
    John Fitzpatrick
    IMDb
    Instagram
    Johnfitzpatrickdp.com
    Arri Alexa Mini / Arri SR2 / Zeiss B Speeds

Just a quick question John.

The Gemini was new, but you purchased the media used?

I'd be curious where that media was in it's warrantee and all that. Do you know how old the media was if it was purchased used? Don't think I've ever heard of a card being "consumed". Sounds a bit odd.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Hey Phil, I purchased the card brand new from RED, my warranty expired a week before it broke.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Just a quick question John.

The Gemini was new, but you purchased the media used?

I'd be curious where that media was in it's warrantee and all that. Do you know how old the media was if it was purchased used? Don't think I've ever heard of a card being "consumed". Sounds a bit odd.
    John Fitzpatrick
    IMDb
    Instagram
    Johnfitzpatrickdp.com

Buy the kipper tie longtake mags instead, twice the amount of storage for less cost and you do not need a mag reader just a usbc cable to offload.

If nobody bought mags from red price would likly change quite quickly.

And yes as I see it red really miss an opertunity here. With the prices they charged for these cards and the constantly falling prices for ssds... To me the obvious best route red could take would be to replace all broken redmags free of charge no question asked. And second to that replace all broken mags and charge something in line with the maket cost for replacement ssds and handling.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

5. #5 Poor customer satusfaction 
    This is terrible . I hope this issue can get resolved . I would be so angry .
    www.KaonMultimedia.com
    Director / Producer

Almost all my gear, I bought used. The reality is, you don't know what that mag has been through, 50 hours or not. The previous owner might have dropped it into a toilet. I have to say, that's not RED's fault. I understand your frustration about them not fixing it, however they should return the broken card. Maybe too much time has elapsed and they can't find it? Who knows. IF they can't find it then perhaps they should just give you a new one?
    Monstro 8K VV 025118 Lena
    Forged CF Helium 8K 00107
    Storm Trooper Komodo 0149
    Scarlet X 02249 (The Gateway Drug)
    RED Pro Zooms
    Zeiss Otus
    Xeen CF
    Director/DP at https://www.butcherbox.com

Living life by the ocean.

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    This is not good at all. I don't think this is the right way to look after your customers.

In general I agree with Björn that Red could easily offer at least a very long warranty on the cards. That way, they could still charge a premium and also be able to replace them without charging the customer. In some cases they can even afford to send a courier out on location if needed.
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Unsplash | Pinterest | Flickr | Instagram | 1961 (blog)

1. How long did red have this before you got the "thrown away" message? 2. Did you buy this as a used item or new? IF used was it in warranty period?

Just to be clear, I purchased the card brand new from RED, it was a backup. Low hours of use, my older card still worked fine. If I treated the card poorly I wouldn't be so upset. The fact that they told me they couldn't diagnose the problem is what got me so upset. Followed by throwing it away without letting me even know.
    John Fitzpatrick
    IMDb
    Instagram
    Johnfitzpatrickdp.com

10.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Fitzpatrick View Post
    Just to be clear, I purchased the card brand new from RED, it was a backup. Low hours of use, my older card still worked fine. If I treated the card poorly I wouldn't be so upset. The fact that they told me they couldn't diagnose the problem is what got me so upset. Followed by throwing it away without letting me even know.
    Sorry still digging in, it took a bit to find you as the information you posted was incorrect. This card was not purchased brand new from RED a year ago, it was purchased from a 3rd party dealer just shy of 2 years ago. Which all doesn't matter as it's not the point of the card failure or the issue ... but since you double downed on that incorrect fact just wanted to correct. We definitely fell down here on a few things so meeting with the team to resolve and get you sorted.