Thread: Sony FX3 Footage/ Review

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Looks kind of cool and the AF, low light, XLRs, etc make this a viable doc camera, especially when you need to be stealth and can't introduce as much light into the scene as you may want.

But, here we go again with a camera that's capable of RAW output (for those times when you may need it) to a recorder/codec not supported in Davinci Resolve. This is a growing problem that needs to be addressed. I keep speaking into an echo chamber and I realize that. The Blackmagic Video Assist recorders support three cameras, Panasonic AU-EVA1, Canon EOS C300 Mark II, SIGMA fp. Yet all of the cameras that can go to ProRes RAW are cut off at the neck because workflows that involve Resolve aren't supported. I really wish someone from BMD would say whether this is their decision or someone else's decision. I rarely complain about much, but I've been vocal on this one. It affects my current workflows and I'm getting up to speed on other grading software that does support it. If Peter or Rohit can pass along the frustration, that would be helpful. And yes, I've been told by many people on various forums that this is a business move, plain and simple and to just deal with it. Just letting my voice be heard on the issue in hopes that maybe someone from these companies will be listening. It's not ruining my life or anything, just find it a very peculiar move and there has never been an explanation.

Thanks Rand as always for collecting the links. I definitely love seeing the videos that show an actual production shot by the camera as opposed to an influencer given the camera to test but it's good to have all of this in a central location.
    Steve Sherrick

You're welcome Steve!

I don't know if it was the early implementation of Pro Res Raw or how it was being recorded from the sensors of all of the cameras that supported Raw output, but I just didn't like how you had to develop it and the resulting way it looked.

I would have liked to have seen how it would have looked processed with Aces or Davinci Resolve's " Davinci Wide Gamut". But as you mention Steve, blackmagic won't give us that opportunity to find out. I appreciate you continuing to bring this up because I think the more this shortcoming in Resolve is continually brought up the more likely Blackmagic Design will be to eventually give in and support Pro Res Raw.

FX3:FILMMAKER 鈴木佑介「YOLCA:REFLECTION」【ソニー公式】

By Sony (Japan)

Quote Originally Posted by rand thompson View Post
    You're welcome Steve!

I don't know if it was the early implementation of Pro Res Raw or how it was being recorded from the sensors of all of the cameras that supported Raw output, but I just didn't like how you had to develop it and the resulting way it looked.

I would have liked to have seen how it would have looked processed with Aces or Davinci Resolve's " Davinci Wide Gamut". But as you mention Steve, blackmagic won't give us that opportunity to find out. I appreciate you continuing to bring this up because I think the more this shortcoming in Resolve is continually brought up the more likely Blackmagic Design will be to eventually give in and support Pro Res Raw.
    I think what's most frustrating is that no one will say anything. In some ways, I'd almost be okay if BMD came out and said, yes we have made a decision to not support it at this time for business reasons. Or, if the problem is not them, they could simply say we are unable to control the implementation of it until Atomos or Apple provide us what we need. We also have not heard from Atomos or Apple saying, yes we would love to see our codecs supported in Resolve but BMD has decided not to at this time.

I'm pretty confident that if Arri suddenly offered an Alexa to ProRes RAW workflow and some big guns decided they wanted to have ProRes RAW support in Resolve that this would be taking a different course. Resolve is a grading app and NLE/DAW/VFX tool that needs to support a wide variety of codecs if they want to make it agnostic and all in one. Seems to me, maybe the camera/recording department might be at odds with the Resolve team, again assuming that this is BMD that is preventing the support. I don't want to make that assumption but seriously this has gone on too long without an answer. If there were only a couple of cameras that offered this workflow, I could almost understand why there may be some dragging of feet. But the list keeps growing and BMD Video Assist list is still short.

Sorry to hijack your thread Rand.
    Steve Sherrick

Steve, you didn't hijack the thread,

The Sony FX3 has a 16-bit Raw Data Output.

So inevitably you most have a discussion on what devices can that Raw output be recorded and what codecs are available for that Raw output to be transformed into. The most popular external Raw recorders are the Atomos recorders. The codec that would be most able to allow for the most retention of that Raw data is ProRes Raw.

You and I and many others on this forum have come to love and use Blackmagic Design's " Davinci Resolve". If I yourself and others are limited from the use of a Raw alternative Codec more and more camera manufacturers are making a decision to use to record their Raw output based on our choice of NLE, that is a problem.

The power behind the story | with the new Sony FX3

By
    We Make Content

Sony FX3 Image Stress Tests and Comparison with Red Komodo, FX6, FX9 and a7S III - Mini-Cine

By Hot Rod Cameras

The Mission | Short Movie Project by Alpha Team Indonesia | 100% Shot on Sony FX

By Sony Indonesia

Sony FX3 Hands On Review | What's the Point?

By
    Brandon Washington

FX3 vs FX6 vs FX9 Comparison. Who Reigns Supreme?

By Mark Bone