Thread: Powering Dedolight DLH4 Lights (150W Tungsten) Outdoors

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Powering Dedolight DLH4 Lights (150W Tungsten) Outdoors 
    I have the DLH4 with separate in-line ballast. The ballast is 12V/24V. The light can take a 100W lamp (12V) or 150W (24V).

What's the best way to provide power to this light outdoors if I don't want the bulk or noise of a generator? I'm happy to park a battery solution on the ground, no need for something like a belt pack.

Dedolight sells two cables to power the light via a 12V battery, one with a cigarette lighter connection and the other with a 4-pin XLR. Dedolight literature says that these cables can be used to power a 100W lamp.

I imagine that I could also plug the ballast's standard Edison plug into an inverter, and the inverter into a battery.

I'd appreciate battery options/suggestions to run both 100W and 150W lamps.

Thanks
    Last edited by Rob Edge; 02-13-2021 at 03:39 AM.

Looks like the answer is Dedolight component DLDIM-BAT plus a cable to the DC source: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...mer_4_pin.html

I wild highly recommend looking at LED for battery powered lights. A 150W or 100W halogen will drain any battery very fast. If you insist on using the DHL4 use the 100w, its 12v and you can make a car adapter easily. Do not use the 24V 150W via inverter, technically it will work but 12v 240v or 120 if in the US) inverters are very inefficient. You will be pushing your car to get home after 20 or 30 minutes of using the converter (unless you leave the motor running while shooting)

The Dled7 lights have the same form factor and take the same accessories rental houses should have the battery converter for Vlocks. Keep them at 100% power and use ND foil or diffusion to dim as they have a green cast at low dimmer settings.

Rob - You should also consider how long you want to power the light up and how portable you want the solution.

If you are currently using Anton Bauer Gold Mount batteries, you could consider their QBH. This sled holds four batteries and has a standard 4-pin XLR power connector. I use these for extended time-lapse operations as I can continually swap out batteries but there is no reason that it could not be used to power a light.
    Plenty of other options - everything from VCLX block batteries, belts, etc - all depends on your needs as defined in my opening.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian F Kobylarz View Post
    Rob - You should also consider how long you want to power the light up and how portable you want the solution.
    Thanks. Not concerned about portability. As I said in the original post "I'm happy to park a battery solution on the ground, no need for something like a belt pack."

I'd like to get about an hour of runtime. More would be nice, but it becomes a question of cost.

Rob - I mentioned the Anton Bauer sled. This is likely your best solution as you can change capacity at will. When ou need longer run times, just bring (or borrow) additional batteries. Swapping out the batteries on the sled provides uninterrupted power to your light. And they are the same gold mount you would find on cameras, monitors, etc.

I have had one of these parked on eBay for a while - if nothing else, the photos there may help out.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/16304142895...saApS8EALw_wcB
    One shot shows the 4 pin XLR connector.

I used to be running several RED's in time lapse mode for long durations so I had more than one.

As an aside, I use their VCLX block batteries for both time lapse and powering ARRI 125/200 HMI PAR's but if cost is a factor you are better off investing in a sled.

Cheers