Thread: SCARLET MX worth in 2021

Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Santiago View Post
    The A-Box is great if you are using XLRs mic but it should work with that 1/8inch wonder suggested here.
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickWebb View Post
    Go to the Audio Settings and check if you have them ticked and also check the levels if they have been set to 0, you might need to adjust accordingly. Have you plugged in an A-Box or are you plugging in a Mic directly to the inputs at the front of the camera?
    Give me some more info / pictures if you have time.
    Cheers.
    Yes I just plugged in directly to the 1/8th jacks on the front of the cam. The levels don't seem to want to go under 30db. I got the mics to work by changing the audio setting from balanced to unbalanced. Unfortunately there is a strong hissing noise in the audio. I mean I guess it doesn't really matter as it would just be for snycing but it sounds pretty terrible.

No worries! I have been enjoying taking out the Scarlet for missions and shooting for stills.

If you're interested, You can check out my blog for some stills I grabbed from last week: https://www.heapsgood.no/2021/03/09/...red-scarlet-x/

That has also been a good a chilled experience too compared to taking out the stills camera. I can have less sound (shutter) and concentrate on enjoying the experience of nature and get lost in looking at the details. Here is a video that I put together of chasing light called "The Endwinter" (https://youtu.be/8fcPgof5Kb8).

This video was inspired by finding nice compositions highlighted by the sunlight. It is a really simple but totally enjoyable experience taking the camera out and letting the sun inspire you and influencing you compositions. I find it to be a good way to get out and just be creative and with no real objective, leaving the journey as the main focus and then the result is just the reflection of what had happened on that mission. A more philosophical approach to photography. Nature, Photography and fresh air are all my medicine.

Cheers! I look forward to what others have to share too! :)

- Patrick
    Really pretty work Patrick.

Hei again!

Yeah, maybe try and switch it over to balanced again. Then try to play with the levels and see if you get a response.

Otherwise, it might be the mic or the cable on the mic. Are you able to specify what type of mic you are using and how you are connecting it?
    Patrick Webb,
    Director of Photography
    Heapsgood Productions, Norway.
    (www.Heapsgood.no)
    EPIC-X #06833 "Monsta" & SCARLET-X #01773 "Scratch"
    Carl Zeiss, Voigtänder & Russian glass

To add to the title of this thread, I just purchased A open box condition Red Scarlet MX body with the original box, SSD Module, side handle and Passive EF mount with 96hrs of total runtime! Super excited to get my feet wet in the world of RED again and given I was working with older cameras than that scarlet before hand like the Sony F23, F900 and Tape Varicam, I would say this is a upgrade, I believe my MX was made near the very end of the MX sensor run so its not that old.
    RED SCARLET MX - #01884 "REDFORD"
    SIGMA 18-35MM F1.8 LENS / Optitek Prolock Nikon Mount / RED Pro Touch LCD 5.0

Digital T Productions 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Krumlauf View Post
    To add to the title of this thread, I just purchased A open box condition Red Scarlet MX body with the original box, SSD Module, side handle and Passive EF mount with 96hrs of total runtime! Super excited to get my feet wet in the world of RED again and given I was working with older cameras than that scarlet before hand like the Sony F23, F900 and Tape Varicam, I would say this is a upgrade, I believe my MX was made near the very end of the MX sensor run so its not that old.
    Excellent, Mike! Congrats and welcome to the club! May your experience be wonderful and creative!
    Patrick Webb,
    Director of Photography
    (www.Heapsgood.no)

Excellent, Mike! Congrats and welcome to the club! May your experience be wonderful and creative!
    Patrick Webb,
    Director of Photography
    (www.Heapsgood.no)

Thanks a bunch! I had a tech question and I figure to save space, I'll just ask it here. Are their any third party camera monitors that support touch control for the Scarlet X? Something kind of like what i'm see SmallHD doing with the Komodo now? I just dont have $700+ to drop on a used Red Touch monitor right now. Im currently using a Freeworld F6 monitor via HDMI and controlling the camera with the side handle.

Also, where is the best plate to find DSMC1 Accessories? Any companies still selling parts new, or am I on the used train for everything? Thanks
    RED SCARLET MX - #01884 "REDFORD"
    SIGMA 18-35MM F1.8 LENS / Optitek Prolock Nikon Mount / RED Pro Touch LCD 5.0

Digital T Productions 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Krumlauf View Post
    Thanks a bunch! I had a tech question and I figure to save space, I'll just ask it here. Are their any third party camera monitors that support touch control for the Scarlet X? Something kind of like what i'm see SmallHD doing with the Komodo now? I just dont have $700+ to drop on a used Red Touch monitor right now. Im currently using a Freeworld F6 monitor via HDMI and controlling the camera with the side handle.

Also, where is the best plate to find DSMC1 Accessories? Any companies still selling parts new, or am I on the used train for everything? Thanks
    Regarding the monitor: No that I know of. You can live with just using the side handle. I have often just a side handle and an EVF on the camera and that works for me fine. On my EPIC I often use my 5" touch but I also have a 7.0 LCD and the EVF. Often, I am not really needing that touch and the side handle work for me.

But if you must, then just save up and find a good deal here in the REDUser marketplace.

Also, try Adorama.com and type in the search field "USED RED" and then you get a list of used cameras, kits and parts. I've bought from them before and they are true. Ask for Shelby Applebaum, she has dealt with my transactions always, she is great! Tell her I say "Hi" ;)

You might be able to find a good price on a touch 5.0 Pro there some day or you can ask them to find something for you.

If you don't ask, you don't get. Right?

I hope it helps you out!

Cheers!
    Patrick Webb,
    Director of Photography
    (www.Heapsgood.no)

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Pawlowski View Post
    Yes I just plugged in directly to the 1/8th jacks on the front of the cam. The levels don't seem to want to go under 30db. I got the mics to work by changing the audio setting from balanced to unbalanced. Unfortunately there is a strong hissing noise in the audio. I mean I guess it doesn't really matter as it would just be for snycing but it sounds pretty terrible.
    Hey Thomas, how are you going with the Audio Issues?
    Patrick Webb,
    Director of Photography
    (www.Heapsgood.no)

Hi everyone,

A few questions, firstly what is the average amount of hours a RED Scarlet MX will give you before "Dying".

Secondly, I'm reading a lot about Fans "DSMC FAN 2.0 UPGRADE KIT" which should extend the life. These are near impossible to get but what are peoples opinion about this kit or do people prefer the Fanplate https://sites.google.com/a/mecasax.c...ducts/fanplate.

This RED is in mint condition and mostly been sat in a Petrol bag unused for years. 60 hours to be exact!

Would love to to discuss and share with you guys some of my work and hopefully you can advise and make me a stronger film maker from knowledge :)

Hey Russell!

I have approx 1100 hrs on my Scarlet Box and no 2.0 fan and it works fine for me so far, so good. I have seen some scarlets with 3000hrs and still working fine. I guess it is just the nature of the environments in which the cameras are utilised. When you think about extreme situations, you think about stress. Same with weather. Here in Norway, cars have it hard, as we have some bad roads and the anti-ice they sprinkle over the roads make the corrosion process hasty. So, you can imagine, with the metaphor in mind, that if a camera has had a good life on the road in all sorts of such, it might put stress on the old crank. However, that is also down to how it is maintained. If they are always cleaned and looked after and bits replaced when needed, then, theoretically it should function further. It is like an old Holden Ute (as I am originally from Australia, I'll use this:) , no matter the rust, the dust and the abuse, keep the motor oiled and in good shape and she will last you a lifetime well over 500,000km.

Mine has been used in the winter and out often in the snow. I cover it as much as I can when snow falls, but in open air I leave it to the weather. As I try to keep things clean and well looked after, I often hold my gear as long as possible and away from sweat. This means always checking when home after a good mission in the wild and cleaning the vents and around the edges and grooves. I don't like build ups on my lens mounts.

So if you have a 60 hour count on your box, it should, if kept well, last you a few thousand hours! To say the least, I know of others who suffered at 500hrs. However, if you drop or expose to a hard source of anything, you run the risk of damaging the electronics internally. These cameras are built like tanks and to say the least, can handle a good battle (or mosh pit), but they are also sensitive. If something is broken or malfunctioning, try and replace it ASAP. Cables and side handles are often somethings that perish after time and will need that hunt on REDUser or Ebay to find another. Luckly, they are pretty cheap these days.

The biggest thing you should find out now, is if this camera fits your shooting style. Try it out in your normal day of shooting. Sometimes it might just not fit. Then you might have to look for another system. But, you can make it work and produce a FINE image form this camera/sensor which is pretty. Share some stuff when you have some and keep updates rolling.

Long live the Scarlet MX.
    Patrick Webb,
    Director of Photography
    (www.Heapsgood.no)