Thread: SCARLET MX worth in 2021

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickWebb View Post
    May it battle another 8 years!
    I would like to compliment her with an EPIX MX :)
    My current budget won't allow and with all this going on, freelance work is non-existent.
    I had the pleasure of cutting projects with this Scarlet along with EPIC MX, DRAGON, and RED ONE.
    Plays well with others ;)
    < Someday I'll be cool enough to have something witty here >

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Sims View Post
    It's not that the Scarlet MX sensor doesn't like mixed lighting, it just sees it better than your eye does. The greens in Fluorescents and some LEDs stand out more in the footage than it looks on set. I've had 2 different practical bulbs give off very different looks in the footage.
    Try not to mix and match bulb types.
    Sounds reasonable.
    We are spoiled for choice today, especially when you have fantastic cinema cameras on the market going for like $3000~ish with accessories. Couldn't have imagined that 10-15 years ago! That is technology for you! It jumps and leaps into the future, leaving "older" technology simply "outdated" and "worth~less". There are the massive improvements on usability and quality, don't get me wrong there! But, there is some gear oout there now that one can pick up and start a production company at a FRACTION of the price of what it was then new! It's simply exciting!

I used the URSA Mini 4K for a long time and always was scared about the FPN - simply terrible. However, when lit well, it produced such amazing images, really. Handheld, it was a great live camera on stage at concerts! The global shutter was the highlight for me with that camera. However, I had to move on, so I swapped it out for a BMPCC4K - which provided a far better image, from my experience. I had to trig out the P4K for it to be produciton ready - for example: I had a HDMI to SDI converter strapped to the rig to use SDI when working on like gigs or sending to switchers that didnt have HDMI. The battery system cost also as much as the pocket did, as well as the Metabones Speedbooster!! Easily to say, it was just as expensive, maybe more than the cost of just getting an URSA Mini. Experience, whatever. But it was a fun camera to run around with on a gimbal etc. The image that comes from it is nothing short of amazing for what you pay for. I always recommend warmly the P4K to anyone who wants an easy nice image to work with.

R3D is a pleasure to work with. The RED colour science is great. Blackmagic has also a great colour science. However, it comes down to how you expose your image as well as grade your image. I really like both to work with and have had no issues with achieving a great result from!

Mixed lighting is always a pain for the user. The camera plucks out the colours fine! ;) Try to match your light sources as well as possible. Prep is king with lighting and don't be afraid to turn lights off, as long as you have your own lights ;)

As for the image form the scarlet, you can always sharpen it in post, if you need to.

I am interested to find out more when you get your camera to see what you produce! You should share your experiences and / or screenshots!

Cheers!
    I will definitely post some stuff up on here!

I've dug around here a bit more and found a lot of beautiful work shot on the MX. I rarely shoot in uncontrolled lighting situations so its not really a worry. I do find it interesting to see how any given camera can perform in the worst of situations though. Been really pining for an Alexa Classic but the smaller RED bodies are much more appealing than the 12 pound Arri.

How is the rolling shutter on the Scarlet MX from your experience?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Santiago View Post
    My Scarlet MX has been with me for over 8 years now.
    I still love it and getting my money's worth.
    I do a lot of other work with other cameras in post and yes I can tell the difference at some level.
    But if you didn't have to sell a kidney to own one, then your golden :)
    Good to hear, I am really looking forward to testing it out.

Scarlet MX is a good machine, Even after 9 years of use, its powerful performance and convenient operability are still very competitive. If that machine have complete set of accessories will be a good option. If the accessories are insufficient and not enough, Get one on EBAY will take extra time and shipping cost

Trying to get an idea of what this camera can do. I am honestly really surprised on how much I like the image. RAW is also really really nice to work with. I am also very happy with how it performs in dimly lit situations, which I wasn't expecting at all.

https://i.imgur.com/Te6t3TX.jpg

Just with Juan Melara's Komodo to Arri LUT and some adjustments to get the overexposed highlights where I wanted them.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Pawlowski View Post
    Trying to get an idea of what this camera can do. I am honestly really surprised on how much I like the image. RAW is also really really nice to work with. I am also very happy with how it performs in dimly lit situations, which I wasn't expecting at all.

https://i.imgur.com/Te6t3TX.jpg

Just with Juan Melara's Komodo to Arri LUT and some adjustments to get the overexposed highlights where I wanted them.
    Hey man,
    Nice! it seems that you own it now, right?

Yeah, the image quality, when blackshaded and all that jazz, is simply fantastic. I really like using the Scarlet-X in the Stills mode and capturing 5K resolution photos/grabs. You can pull out 150mb TIFF images and work with them, which is fun. You can get some good tips on how to use Stills mode here in this video by RED: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phjxMzS8Ojs ~ especially with the side record button and then marking the video with the trigger button. Assuming you didn't know this from before hand.

Here is a grab from my scarlet with a Voigtländer 20mm Color-Skopar lens, that I took today trying to figure out some things: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kSL...ew?usp=sharing

Today, I was playing around with the Scarlet to figure out a super compact setup, as I am going to go up a mountain and film some snowboard action with some mates. Now, I probably should take the EPIC, but I wanted to see how I could stretch the Scarlet in this action. So, I've opted to take a Voigtländer 20mm Color-Skopar with me, as it is a pancake lens ~ and for me nice quality ~ so I can get nice wide angles at 25fps (which my timeline is set to) of the environment and whatevers; then to get 50fps, I will punch in to 3K (WS) for some action; then punch in again to 2K (WS) to get 75fps for some details or those shots where we agree to give a little for action. Using the 20mm as the lens is good in this situation, as it then becomes, at 3K (WS) 34.8mm, and at 2K (WS) a 52.2mm ... and if you really want to go down to 1K you have an 84.7mm ... na. I kept in mind to up the quality of the compression ratio where I can, so I can keep detail in those crops.

That is one wave of thoughts there to use the system in a flexible way and to try and maximise the abilities of the Scarlet-X. I've done this before with live concerts and it worked out tremendously well, minus the 1K crop-ins – I failed at that attempt. However, everything from 2K upwards was fantastic quality. My averages: 8~10:1 @ 4K - still delivering top results; 6~8:1 3K and 4~5:1 @ 2K ~ all delivering good images! Also, you can save some space on the memory card when compressing the videos. If you are on 64GB REDMAGS like me, where I have 6 of them, it is nice to keep in mind this for managing space. It is a little more brainwork in the beginning, but after a while it becomes a flow. I would like to have a preset on the programmable buttons for this, actually. That would speed up things. (someone enlighten me, if this is possible! Please let there be a way!)

What NLE are you working on? Maybe you should also try out using the LEGACY ~ REDcolor4 ~ REDgamma4 and grade from there. Generally the image looks good with that combo in place. The rest is up the playing time, if it is just for fun. If so, go wild and try flexing the R3D to the max!

Share a pic of your Scarlet! :D
    Patrick Webb,
    Director of Photography
    Heapsgood Productions, Norway.
    (www.Heapsgood.no)
    EPIC-X #06833 "Monsta" & SCARLET-X #01773 "Scratch"
    Carl Zeiss, Voigtänder & Russian glass

My Scarlet and I had a blast working on this one:

Bandages

https://photos.app.goo.gl/d1fAuib4g5xPL31x9

Shot back in 2014, graded in Resolve 8.

It's a screenshot of QT player.

Sorry for the lame link.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Santiago View Post
    My Scarlet and I had a blast working on this one:

Bandages

https://photos.app.goo.gl/d1fAuib4g5xPL31x9

Shot back in 2014, graded in Resolve 8.

It's a screenshot of QT player.

Sorry for the lame link.
    Great mood in those first two shots! :)
    Patrick Webb,
    Director of Photography
    (www.Heapsgood.no)

Great mood in those first two shots! :)
    Thanks. I am trying to get full specs on that one.
    Not a basic setup since we were the first to shoot in this new (then) production warehouse.
    A ton of hazers and this giant ass light is my best guess at the moment :(
    I posted the bathroom shot due to the grit look.
    Remnants of a friends reno came in handy for that scene ;)

Still loving my MX

Quote Originally Posted by Arvydas View Post
    Still loving my MX

Loving the snow ;)
    Patrick Webb,
    Director of Photography
    (www.Heapsgood.no)