Thread: SCARLET on a RONIN DJI RS-2 GIMBAL/STABILIZER

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 SCARLET on a RONIN DJI RS-2 GIMBAL/STABILIZER 
    Hello everybody,

As you can guess, I just bought the new RONIN DJI RS-2 Gimbal to use with our Scarlet MX Camera.

The gimbal is a beauty. Very well constructed, and very professional.

In trying to mount the Scarlet I have already run into a few problems:

1 - The camera side handle presents a left/right adjusting problem, but it may be fixable.

2 - The gimbals bottom/camera mounting plate cannot be screwed into the 1/4" hole, because it puts the camera too far back on the gimbal arm, so the rear/top of the camera "hits" the gimbal when it goes to point "up". So, I am awaiting a 3/8" - 1/4" thread adapter to screw into one of the cameras 3/8" bottom holes. Hopefully, this will put the camera far forward enough so it will not hit the gimbal when tilting up, if, of course, this does not throw the balance wacky.

3 - After using the thread adapter, if all goes well, and the camera balances good, then my only remaining concern is the "long" Red Monitor Cable that attaches to the front of the camera. The monitor itself, will be mounted on the "double handle" bracket attached to the gimbal. BUT, will this cord induce a problem by creating a pulling/pushing resistance, while the gimbal is trying to steady the camera?

HAVE ANY OF YOU BOUGHT AND USED "THIS RONIN GIMBAL" WITH YOUR SCARLET ? HOW DID YOU OVERCOME THESE PROBLEMS ?

Any help or advise is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

George

Not with anything new but when we used my Scarlet MX with a Helix Jr. I had to remove the SH to balance it out evenly.
    Good luck with yours.
    < Someday I'll be cool enough to have something witty here >

G'day,
    I would be interested to try this out. I haven't thought to do this before with the Ronin-S. I just use my Pocket 4K for gimbal work. If I move the Scarlet, I put it on a slider, dolly or crane.
    I will try my Scarlet-X out on a Ronin-S and get back to you.

Initial plan would be that I will put a small lens on it, like the Voigtländer 20mm (pancake) which I have, and run a longer power cable to the V-mount (belt mounted) - that would be my logical move. As for focus, it might get too heavy. If I do gimbal work with a RED, other than the Komodo, I would get a MOVI or Ronin MX, where you have more real estate to sit the cam, focus gears, etc on. However, if you are in a pinch, then the Ronin-S could do a good job.

Anyway, good challenge.
    Patrick Webb,
    Director of Photography
    Heapsgood Productions, Norway.
    (www.Heapsgood.no)
    EPIC-X #06833 "Monsta" & SCARLET-X #01773 "Scratch"
    Carl Zeiss, Voigtänder & Russian glass

I've made it work on a stock RS2 without any add-ons with 16-35 Canon lens. Totally stripped down the cam, removed everything except the bottom plate. Powered via D-Tap to Lemo cord. Monitored through Raven Eye.

It works, but for a normal gig I would just use a Movi Pro. Much more comfortable to hold and work with. BUT, I would always prefer RS2 over a R1 or MX.