Thread: SCARLET MX worth in 2021

Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Krumlauf View Post
    Beautiful! This should be proof enough that the MX holds up to all the other RED sensors out there. MX is still very much relivant today. Makes me happy I went with my scarlet instead of buying a new Zcam E2-S6 (which I was very close to doing).
    It's really up to the artist who wields the Scarlet ;)
    I've had so many different experiences from a one-man band to large film projects, this baby always came through.
    < Someday I'll be cool enough to have something witty here >

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Santiago View Post
    It's really up to the artist who wields the Scarlet ;)
    I've had so many different experiences from a one-man band to large film projects, this baby always came through.
    Scarlet was made to look good in the right hands, regardless of its age. Obviously the Scarlet/Epic were ahead of their time ten years ago if they still can look relevant today.
    RED SCARLET MX - #01884 "REDFORD"
    SIGMA 18-35MM F1.8 LENS / Optitek Prolock Nikon Mount / RED Pro Touch LCD 5.0
    Two Panasonic AG-DVX100s

Digital T Productions 2021

You're not wrong, Mike. I really dig the look from the MX sensor. In fact, I will be taking out the Epic today to shoot a super low budget music video with a Sankor 16c (2x Ana) on a Jupter-9 85mm adapted to EF. I will share some examples later on, if anyone is interested. We will see the results ... first time trying to double focus, so it should be, umm, time consuming.
    Patrick Webb,
    Director of Photography
    Heapsgood Productions, Norway.
    (www.Heapsgood.no)
    EPIC-X #06833 "Monsta" & SCARLET-X #01773 "Scratch"
    Carl Zeiss, Voigtänder & Russian glass

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickWebb View Post
    You're not wrong, Mike. I really dig the look from the MX sensor. In fact, I will be taking out the Epic today to shoot a super low budget music video with a Sankor 16c (2x Ana) on a Jupter-9 85mm adapted to EF. I will share some examples later on, if anyone is interested. We will see the results ... first time trying to double focus, so it should be, umm, time consuming.
    Sounds like fun! I've been wanting to shoot 1.33x anamorphic on my scarlet. Its a bummer its anamorphic mode is only for 5k which as we all know, is limted from 1-12fps. I really wanted the epic but at the time i could purchase a body to start building upon i was about a grand short for the epics that were available at the time. The irony is the amount of money ive spent building my scarlet up over the last 2 months, i could have bought a DSMC2 body lol
    RED SCARLET MX - #01884 "REDFORD"
    SIGMA 18-35MM F1.8 LENS / Optitek Prolock Nikon Mount / RED Pro Touch LCD 5.0
    Two Panasonic AG-DVX100s

Digital T Productions 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Krumlauf View Post
    Sounds like fun! I've been wanting to shoot 1.33x anamorphic on my scarlet. Its a bummer its anamorphic mode is only for 5k which as we all know, is limted from 1-12fps. I really wanted the epic but at the time i could purchase a body to start building upon i was about a grand short for the epics that were available at the time. The irony is the amount of money ive spent building my scarlet up over the last 2 months, i could have bought a DSMC2 body lol
    You can technically shoot anamorphic on the scarlet, you just have to desqueeze it later in post. I've tried out the Sankor 16c on my Scarlet X and did exactly that in post and worked fine for me. Problem is, you are looking at a squeezed image on the screen. There might be a possibility to get an external monitor, via the HDMI or SDI and use the monitor, if it has that option, to do the desqueeze on screen. I know it is possible. Therefore you could technically shoot you 1.33x or 2x on the scarlet in 4K.

If you're to use a 58~60mm with the Scarlet, you could then get the full effect in 4K. I tested the Helios 44-2 as the taking lens for the sankor ana lens on the scarlet, on 4K and that gave me the full stretchy. It is a test by test game to get it working nicely. However, with a few extra bits it is possible to achieve. If you were to crop down to 3k mode on the scarlet, you might have to get a 50mm lens. I am not sure about that 100%, as I haven't tested that and I just sent back the Sankor – as it was a pain in the butt to focus and is no good in a professional setting ~ but for fun it produced amazing images! – however, by changing the perspective focal range to a wider lens, it is possible to work the anamorphic.

on the Epic with the 5K ana mode, I used the 85mm Jupiter and that was still getting the vignetting or haloing flares in the corners of the picture. I could have easily gone a 100mm (if I had one!) to try and overstep that little issue. However, it brought good results to the table. So, by working backwards on the frankenglass idea; smaller sensor, wider lens.

Looking at the Red Tools app and some ghetto math(excuse me if this becomes confusing!):
    5K ANA with an 85mm has a Equivalent Focal Length of 115.5mm with a 1.36x crop factor (desqueezing the image gives us a 42.5mm focal length in width from the 85mm and then 1.36x that, gives us a 57.8mm EFL in Scope-terms)

so if we are to crop down to 4K and still use the ana-sankor-lens, you can try this out, by multiplying the focal legnth of the minimum usable FL on the 5K ana, which is 85mm (from my experience) ~ 85mm x (4K crop factor form 5K FF on the MX sensor) 1.25 = 106.25 mm ~ then 106.25 / 2 = 53.125 and that is the approximate minimum focal length you can use before you get the barrel in the image
    -> so try a 55mm lens as the taking lens.

Here's where my math skills gets shady ~ if you wanted to get the higher frame rates, 3K is a 1.67x crop factor ~ (5K FF = 85mm) 85mm x 1.67 = 141.95 . Then 141.95 / 3 = 47.316 so then try a 48mm or more commonly 50mm lens as the taking lens. There you can get 48fps or 50fps in HD mode.

Now, I am not 100% on this equation, as I am no math-buff, but I have tested it out practically and it roughly works out. You also have to adjust the distance between the taking lens and the anamorphic lens, which can be trés tedious! However, if you have the patience and want to work it out to get the shot, it can be wonderfully fulfilling.

To amend your woes about the irony of your purchase: You would have spent much more on the modules for the DSMC2, if you were to go down that path. However, if you do upgrade the body, you can use the monitor via a lemo to DSMC2 adapter (adapter Lemo-b or a adapter, i think it is called???) so you can use at least the good old 5.0 Pro Touch with the new boxes. So, it is not a total steer of investment. Your media is also cheaper, unless you have the Mini Mag SSD module on your Scarlet? I have the MiniMag SSD module on my Epic, in case I were to one day buy into the DSMC2 (which would be a Helium Sensor btw), thus selling my Scarlet X with the 6 old 1.8" SSD mags I have. I can use the mini mags with the Epic and the DSMC2 boxes, which is handy.

I would look into an external monitor option for your scarlet that can do a desqueeze, if you want to get in to trying out some ana-goodness. From my several day experience, it is a lot of fun trying to frame your subject ;)
    Last edited by PatrickWebb; 05-20-2021 at 04:44 AM.
    Patrick Webb,
    Director of Photography
    (www.Heapsgood.no)

If you do a search in the Scarlet section of the forum you might find some examples like this one:

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...ght=anamorphic

Over the years I know some have ventured into it.
    Maybe one day I will :)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Santiago View Post
    If you do a search in the Scarlet section of the forum you might find some examples like this one:

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...ght=anamorphic

Over the years I know some have ventured into it.
    Maybe one day I will :)

Yeah, see, I thought at least another has done something. I would def try out some slow motion 48fps on a 24fps timeline in 3k with a 50mm ...
    Patrick Webb,
    Director of Photography
    (www.Heapsgood.no)

Yeah, see, I thought at least another has done something. I would def try out some slow motion 48fps on a 24fps timeline in 3k with a 50mm ...
    That would be cool.
    I had some fun times even at 1K HFR but mostly outdoor stuff.
    Noisy as hell but heck it was fun.
    Honestly, there are far better cameras for HFR and if it's a serious project then rent the right one.
    But the Scarlet is not for that.
    It can do other wonderful frames too :)

You're right, Eric. The Scarlet is well endowed for other operations. you know, at 3K and a good high quality compression, the image is very usable (just look at what Alex has shared before here). There you can get at least 1/2 time and that covers a good deal of most applications. I rarely use stabilisation in my work, unless I REALLY HAVE TO. That means I could easily work with 3K off the scarlet all the time, if in a pinch. As I have an Epic, I don't need to do that. But, there is no doubting that I could happily rely on the Scarlet to produce and deliver in those cases. I might even give it a go next time I'm out an about with the box in the forest with a model or musician. I know that the temperature here +20 degrees brings out all the hibernators to play ! So, the season is in gang and we're off to good time!

I've just finished off a music video today with the summer vibes, so that has kicked off the season for me! Pretty girls, horses, sunshine and the green Norwegian landscape ... not much can beat that for cliché happiness. I'll admit that I enjoyed every minute making the music video.

:)
    Patrick Webb,
    Director of Photography
    (www.Heapsgood.no)

You're right, Eric. The Scarlet is well endowed for other operations. you know, at 3K and a good high quality compression, the image is very usable (just look at what Alex has shared before here). There you can get at least 1/2 time and that covers a good deal of most applications. I rarely use stabilisation in my work, unless I REALLY HAVE TO. That means I could easily work with 3K off the scarlet all the time, if in a pinch. As I have an Epic, I don't need to do that. But, there is no doubting that I could happily rely on the Scarlet to produce and deliver in those cases. I might even give it a go next time I'm out an about with the box in the forest with a model or musician. I know that the temperature here +20 degrees brings out all the hibernators to play ! So, the season is in gang and we're off to good time!

I've just finished off a music video today with the summer vibes, so that has kicked off the season for me! Pretty girls, horses, sunshine and the green Norwegian landscape ... not much can beat that for cliché happiness. I'll admit that I enjoyed every minute making the music video.

:)
    Looking forward to seeing that :)

Found some old pics of one short my Scarlet worked hard on:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/d1fAuib4g5xPL31x9

Screengrabs from a QT clip.
    I can dig up actual R3D and you'd be surprised how much this look is the same as the RAW version due to great lighting work.
    I worked with some amazing people on this one.