Thread: SCARLET MX worth in 2021

Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
    Hey Patrick,

Thank you for your kind words. I'm not sure if you also read my other post about changing a Scarlet for Komodo but maybe we can discuss that on there or here. I don't mind. I'm curious over the sensor that's used on the Komodo and if people think it looks as cinematic as the Mysterium, I see, A LOT of Komodos for sale at present and wonder why.

I'm curious, did you ever use the HDRX on the Scarlet? No obviously in 5K & 4K it's unusable but in 3K you can at least get 24fps. What's your opinion on that?

Audio has always been an issue with RED but I always record audio seperate anyway.

Russell

My guess is there are a lot of KOMODOs for sale due to how cheap they are in comparison to everything else RED has realeased. The KOMODO is their first camera thats in the lower tier of cameras like the Sony FS5s and Panasonic EVA1s and what not. Still find it crazy you can buy a RED camera now for what I paid for a Panasonic HVX200 brand new in 2007. Tech has come a long way!
    RED SCARLET MX - #01884 "REDFORD"
    SIGMA 18-35MM F1.8 LENS / Optitek Prolock Nikon Mount / RED Pro Touch LCD 5.0
    Two Panasonic AG-DVX100s

Digital T Productions 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Simpson View Post
    Hey Patrick,

Thank you for your kind words. I'm not sure if you also read my other post about changing a Scarlet for Komodo but maybe we can discuss that on there or here. I don't mind. I'm curious over the sensor that's used on the Komodo and if people think it looks as cinematic as the Mysterium, I see, A LOT of Komodos for sale at present and wonder why.

I'm curious, did you ever use the HDRX on the Scarlet? No obviously in 5K & 4K it's unusable but in 3K you can at least get 24fps. What's your opinion on that?

Audio has always been an issue with RED but I always record audio seperate anyway.

Russell
    Hey Russell,

It is a matter of style, taste and use. There is no perfect camera for everything. What the komodo offers is really amazing for its pricepoint and is a very versatile tool for many things. Especially for photography with its global shutter and the use with flashes, to name one use. The Scarlet-X is a workhorse that you can change the mounts on, without using adapters, and that is one thing that I like; to be able to swap out the EF to PL with 4 screws in 1 minute if needed. Komodo needs adapters. It is sort of the same deal as the Raven ~ a great camera but aimed at lower price points. The Komodo is the first one to use off the shelf parts and other branded stuff, like Canon batteries and CFast cards etc. The Raven still had the MiniMags. So, again, it is all about what you have in your toolbox. If you are fresh, then a Komodo is a great option. If you are already in the RED Ecosystem then go DSMC1 or 2. You cannot go wrong really.

I would forget about using HDRx unless it is used for still shots and landscapes, or shots with extreme little movement. Otherwise you are just going to get frustrated with it. My advice after trying myself a few times. You have to deal with the already nice 13 stops ca. with the new cameras you are getting another 3 or 4 stops which is HDR madness and is lovely! But, again, it is what you are shooting and what type of control you have on your scene. If you can light it, you don't need a while lot of DR. But, if DR is what you want, then get another camera with the Dragon sensor upgrade in the DSMC1 or go a Helium sensor.

Audio is solved by getting yourself a Wooden Camera A-Box - works great and the preamps in the camera are good enough for most applications. I run all my audio through a mixer first and then send a mix into the camera wither as a final or a sratch for syncing up in post. Again, workflow. Run and gun is possible, maybe get yourself a Røde mic. Check this out for a clear reference: https://support.red.com/hc/en-us/art...-Compatibility

My personal opinion on the MX sensor is when the light is good then the image is amazing. When it isn't then you loose out a bit on the low end and that means loosing some colour depth. But that is peeping.

- Patrick
    Patrick Webb,
    Director of Photography
    Heapsgood Productions, Norway.
    (www.Heapsgood.no)
    EPIC-X #06833 "Monsta" & SCARLET-X #01773 "Scratch"
    Carl Zeiss, Voigtänder & Russian glass

I bought a scarlet kit from a guy in D.C. for $5,500 last year and it came with alot of accesories. i primarily shoot music videos with it and i was instantly impressed that and old camera like this footage looks this good. i recently bought another one from adorama for $800 and it came with the side handle. only issue that the camera has is that the DC in port doesn't work other than that the camera works perfectly and only has 132 hours on it

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrell skinner View Post
    i recently bought another one from adorama for $800 and it came with the side handle. only issue that the camera has is that the DC in port doesn't work other than that the camera works perfectly and only has 132 hours on it
    If that isn't a bargain I don't know what is.

BTW do you miss the slow motion capabilities when you're doing music videos, or do you just not do that these days? It's almost a given that music videos will have some slow motion in them. It's not always necessary or appropriate but there you go.
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Unsplash | Pinterest | Flickr | Instagram | 1961 (blog)

Quote Originally Posted by Karim D. Ghantous View Post

BTW do you miss the slow motion capabilities when you're doing music videos, or do you just not do that these days? It's almost a given that music videos will have some slow motion in them. It's not always necessary or appropriate but there you go.
    Haha plus almost every wedding video ;)
    Yea I get that a lot when I'm using my Scarlet in the wild.
    If the need outweighs what I can offer, I have access to EPICs and WEAPONS locally.
    Not as giving as a Phantom of course LOL!
    < Someday I'll be cool enough to have something witty here >

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell skinner View Post
    I bought a scarlet kit from a guy in D.C. for $5,500 last year and it came with alot of accesories. i primarily shoot music videos with it and i was instantly impressed that and old camera like this footage looks this good. i recently bought another one from adorama for $800 and it came with the side handle. only issue that the camera has is that the DC in port doesn't work other than that the camera works perfectly and only has 132 hours on it
    $800 ... borderline for me there! If the DC power doesn't work, then you're pretty much stuck to the REDVOLTS and that isn't so handy. If there is a way you could get that fixed inexpensively, then you've got a bargain! But, if you're just using it for short bursts, I guess it is ok. It is amazing how the prices continue to drop, really. 132 hours and a fried DC port sucks! I would have been fuming if I did that to my camera(s)!
    Patrick Webb,
    Director of Photography
    (www.Heapsgood.no)

Quote Originally Posted by Karim D. Ghantous View Post

I guess it always depends on the type of job. I've made music videos without slow motion, as it wasn't necessary in those cases. I think slow motion is, like all art, subjective and when done right, it hits the emotions. There is a lot of work out there that is not considered when planned or shot and then the slow motion has just been added because: "whatever, why not?" However, there has been some very clever use of slow motion to show off the difference in dimension or time or to direct the viewer of the importance of what they are seeing. Again, it can always go deeper, and just because you can shoot slo-mo, doesn't mean you should.

I use the Scarlet for a good majority of my work, as of recent, as I've been getting a lot of smaller projects that don't require me busting out the Epic. As much as I would love to use my Epic more on a daily, the Scarlet delivers fine images that are very usable at a smaller footprint on my operating system and hdds.

Again, considering the situation, that should dictate what you use. You're not going to take the Ferrari out to do the grocery shopping unless you want to show off. But when you have that meaningful mountain road you want to really push the limits and test out what you've got, then the Ferrari is probably a better choice than the Toyota Camry (Or Commodore, if you're an Aussie), AKA The Red Scarlet MX. Doens't mean you cannot have fun with the Camry, tho! Lunch serving trays on the back wheels, rip up the handbreak and have fun!
    Patrick Webb,
    Director of Photography
    (www.Heapsgood.no)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Santiago View Post
    Haha plus almost every wedding video ;)
    Yea I get that a lot when I'm using my Scarlet in the wild.
    If the need outweighs what I can offer, I have access to EPICs and WEAPONS locally.
    Not as giving as a Phantom of course LOL!
    Agreed.This is what the Scarlet was designed for, afterall: To be used.

Here are some screen grabs from yesterdays "Light observation and exploration."

The meaning of these images is really a personal exploration with light and shadow; and contrast. All of the watery images are shot with the Scarlet MX with the Canon EF 35mm f/1.4 L with a CP-L filter ~ running around with it on a monopod to keep my shots steady and me portable. The last shot was using the Carl Zeiss ZE 50mm f/1.4 T* Planar and no filter.

And I was using the Red EVF instead of a monitor for this mission.

Cheers!
    Patrick Webb,
    Director of Photography
    (www.Heapsgood.no)

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickWebb View Post
    Agreed.This is what the Scarlet was designed for, afterall: To be used.

Here are some screen grabs from yesterdays "Light observation and exploration."

The meaning of these images is really a personal exploration with light and shadow; and contrast. All of the watery images are shot with the Scarlet MX with the Canon EF 35mm f/1.4 L with a CP-L filter ~ running around with it on a monopod to keep my shots steady and me portable. The last shot was using the Carl Zeiss ZE 50mm f/1.4 T* Planar and no filter.

And I was using the Red EVF instead of a monitor for this mission.

Cheers!
    Love it!!
    Keep it up and send more.
    Very inspiring.
    The lockdown here has ruined my spring schedule.
    Maybe Ill start doing the Nomadic filmic thing ;)
    < Someday I'll be cool enough to have something witty here >