Thread: Sony FX3 Leak - Sony gunning for both RED Komodo & BM Pocket series at once?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My biggest issue with the Sony SLR's is the sharpening/noise reduction that can't be dialed down to a less nasty level. The FX6 doesn't have this problem though and is a phenomenal option. The super low rolling shutter on the FX6 is also a big draw over other higher resolution options.

If this new FX3 doesn't have the nasty noise reduction and has low rolling shutter I'll be on board. Sony's auto focus is a big draw too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    Ouuf, that would be pretty great, presuming the s35 would be 4k and the FF 4k would be downsampled (if it doesn't do 8k). EVND and IBIS and AF in a mirrorless body, oh my!

And yes, that makes sense (re: 4k being half the RS of 8k, since the total resolution is 1/4, but the vertical resolution RS is based off of is half).

So which camera had like a 3ms RS recently (it may have been 5ms FF and then 3ms in 4k/s35)? I'm sure it was a Sony, and they claimed it was virtually nonexistent in the sales points... Was it A7s3?

I would too... I was just trying to think of what would make for a better aerial camera. Built-in ND, wireless control, IBIS, and GS would likely be more important factors than having 15 stops instead of 13...

But yes, Sony are doing well in their sensor designs/compromises, and they definitely have a lot of DR in even their entry-level mirrorless (colour accuracy is thin in the extremes, but it's just bonus/recoverable extra anyway).
    The URSA mini 12k has very low rolling shutter. The Sony A7S3 and FX6 also have very low rolling shutter 8ms in full frame 4k.

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    (re: 4k being half the RS of 8k, since the total resolution is 1/4, but the vertical resolution RS is based off of is half).
    Sorry for picking nits but total resolution of 4K compared to 8K is half, not 1/4.
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Unsplash | Pinterest | Flickr | Instagram | 1961 (blog)

Quote Originally Posted by Karim D. Ghantous View Post
    Sorry for picking nits but total resolution of 4K compared to 8K is half, not 1/4.

but 1/4 pixels ;-)

Hope it won't overheat. I looks like a beast but so small it's going to be hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Tresch View Post
    but 1/4 pixels ;-)

Hope it won't overheat. I looks like a beast but so small it's going to be hot.
    Rumor has it that it is actively cooled. Apparently someone recorded 13 hours straight without issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dease View Post
    Seriously where is the good Komodo footage? Maybe I've seen 3 videos that sort of sold it?
    Andrew, meet Rand.

Yeah, meant the vertical res is half (4320 vs 2160), which is what dictates RS performance (hence why 8k vs 4k is roughly half on the same sensor). And yeah, was thinking it's 1/4 total pixel resolution... 4k = ~9mp, 8k = ~36mp, type thing. Regardless, I still don't know which mirrorless I was thinking had virtually nonexistent RS... again, maybe it was the 4k/s35 crop on the a1 with IBIS on...

Anyway, back on topic, actively cooled is fine by me (presuming it isn't audible outside of ~1m)... Better than overheating like the a7s3 and a1 apparently do. I've always been impressed with Sony's DR (claims and usable) and at the very least the FX3 will have 10bit/422, if not internal raw (fingers crossed), so it'll probably be fine there. Would be nice if, as a CineAlta/FX camera, you could actually turn off internal sharpening/NR.

I'm also intrigued by the rumoured price; isn't that the same as the a7s3? Yet it doesn't overheat and might have a few more cinema-centric bells and whistles? What's the catch?

I'm also intrigued by the rumoured price; isn't that the same as the a7s3? Yet it doesn't overheat and might have a few more cinema-centric bells and whistles? What's the catch?
    The catch is that it's pretty much made for cinema. If you want to use it for stills, you can, but you're on your own. Notice that there's no EVF.

If it has internal NDs, or global shutter... or both, then Im interested. But if its just a rehoused A7S3... sans the excellent EVF, then I have little use for it.

Latest info is that it's basically an A7SIII in a different body. Sounds good to me. I expected a S35 sensor, but oh well.

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/news...-and-has-ibis/

A7S3 is full frame, though? Also there has to be something different... Maybe just the cooling and ditching the EVF (which I didn't even notice until you mentioned it.)

Was the a7s3 also CFE? While fleeting, I'm still kinda hoping it has a raw option or 8k or something that makes it a clear choice over the a7s3 (for motion), otherwise why bother?