Thread: Sony FX3 Leak - Sony gunning for both RED Komodo & BM Pocket series at once?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Sony FX3 Leak - Sony gunning for both RED Komodo & BM Pocket series at once? 
    Okay, there's a leak on a supposed Sony FX3, an odd naming scheme or a complete table flip on the lineup, and it is supposed to not only offer HFR 4K but also 8K UHD video. Source is SonyAlphaRumors:

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/leak...product-image/

Alright, if it is what it looks like and it's any good, and there's currently no evidence that Sony would pump the brakes with 10-bit minimum video features on their current release streak, this throws the gauntlet down against the Komodo and the Blackmagic Pocket series in a big way. Like I've said before in other threads, 8K is seemingly going to be dropping in hard and fast this year and the video examples from the A1 are pretty killer so if this matches that then there's only the question of final features, price, and release date. In my case, I have a bunch of E-mount adapters already for my A7S but not too much more ecosystem than that and I do have a speed boosted Pocket 4K that was a load of fun to use for pickups on my first feature so if this really serves as a combination between the two then that would be pretty exciting!

Still, if this rumor turns out to be true and it's not some fake image, then I would wager that the odds of a Blackmagic Pocket 8K or even 12K just went way up and that could be even better! That would just leave RED and what mysterious cards they have yet to play. What do you all think? Any thoughts/hopes/theories about what this could be and what it means for whatever comes down the line next?

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    It's real, after all. But, no 8K. I hope it's S35, but I bet it's VV, based on the fact that a 35/1.4 is attached to it in the press image.

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/leak...-8k-recording/

I am betting that Red already considered a camera like this, but decided against it.

Either way, the FX3 is the closest thing to a true DSMC that I've yet seen. I still wish we got the 3K Scarlet, which was then the closest thing. But, here we are.
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Unsplash | Pinterest | Flickr | Instagram | 1961 (blog)

What a bummer that all I've seen of Komodo is people not knowing why its so grainy on the FB user groups.

Seriously where is the good Komodo footage? Maybe I've seen 3 videos that sort of sold it?

The rest is horrendous and looks like filtration is on or "vintage" lenses are used, no matter what. Why?

Seriously a bummer I hope owners start making some good footage with it.

I hope red as a brand steps back up.

Also any particular reason ALL brands seem to be STEPPING IT UP in the past year or so?

You should look on YouTube. There's literally a hundreds of good looking Komodo pieces. Not to mention commercials and things that have made it to air already.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dease View Post
    Also any particular reason ALL brands seem to be STEPPING IT UP in the past year or so?
    Companies need to sell cameras. That said, technology is also advancing real fast to allow for a lot of these newer offerings at their given price points.

Can't talk about the FX3 yet, but what I will say is look closer at what Sony is doing with the Airpeak Drone and you'll see why cameras such as the FX3 might be important for what they are doing.

If you recently bought an FX6 or A7sIII, don't freak out.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    You should look on YouTube. There's literally a hundreds of good looking Komodo pieces. Not to mention commercials and things that have made it to air already.

Companies need to sell cameras. That said, technology is also advancing real fast to allow for a lot of these newer offerings at their given price points.

Can't talk about the FX3 yet, but what I will say is look closer at what Sony is doing with the Airpeak Drone and you'll see why cameras such as the FX3 might be important for what they are doing.

If you recently bought an FX6 or A7sIII, don't freak out.
    FX6 is one of the only cameras I’ve seen that could sway me from red (besides personal finances).

Such an awesome camera full frame ready to roll xlrs high frame rates GOOD PRICE.

I wonder why you mention not to panic if recently bought though...

If it's for Airpeak, I wonder if it'll have global shutter as well... Doesn't the A1 have an RS of 3ms (or something crazy) at 8k? If the FX3 is only 4k, does that mean it could be a 1/4 of that? I'd think the difference between GS and sub-1ms RS would be negligible. The beauty about media being so cheap and fast these days is that a lot of these cameras can start doing internal raw at less than 5:1 to get around patents.

BMD has there camera update next week, too! Here's hoping for some VV8k pocket goodness (finally) with their RGBW sensor design used on the BUMP12k. *fingers crossed*
    Last edited by Mike P.; 02-12-2021 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    If it's for Airpeak, I wonder if it'll have global shutter as well... Doesn't the A1 have an RS of 3ms (or something crazy) at 8k? If the FX3 is only 4k, does that mean it could be a 1/4 of that? I'd think the difference between GS and sub-1ms RS would be negligible. The beauty about media being so cheap and fast these days is that a lot of these cameras can start doing internal raw at less than 5:1 to get around patents.

BMD has there camera update next week, too! Here's hoping for some VV8k pocket goodness (finally) with their RGBW sensor design used on the BUMP12k. *fingers crossed*
    Its around 16 ish ms in 8K and about half of that in 4K. Global shutter on a body this small... with built in EVND and Full frame with the option to crop into S35 would be stellar.

Personally I'd take better dynamic range + fast rolling shutter over global shutter at this point.

When cameras do 16-17 actual usable stops and we have to choose between going for 19 stops or global shutter, THEN I'd be interested in global shutter.

To me Sony is making smart decisions RE: sensors.

Bruce Allen
    www.bruceallen.tv

Quote Originally Posted by Han Vogen View Post
    Its around 16 ish ms in 8K and about half of that in 4K. Global shutter on a body this small... with built in EVND and Full frame with the option to crop into S35 would be stellar.
    Ouuf, that would be pretty great, presuming the s35 would be 4k and the FF 4k would be downsampled (if it doesn't do 8k). EVND and IBIS and AF in a mirrorless body, oh my!

And yes, that makes sense (re: 4k being half the RS of 8k, since the total resolution is 1/4, but the vertical resolution RS is based off of is half).

So which camera had like a 3ms RS recently (it may have been 5ms FF and then 3ms in 4k/s35)? I'm sure it was a Sony, and they claimed it was virtually nonexistent in the sales points... Was it A7s3?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Allen View Post
    Personally I'd take better dynamic range + fast rolling shutter over global shutter at this point.

When cameras do 16-17 actual usable stops and we have to choose between going for 19 stops or global shutter, THEN I'd be interested in global shutter.

To me Sony is making smart decisions RE: sensors.
    I would too... I was just trying to think of what would make for a better aerial camera. Built-in ND, wireless control, IBIS, and GS would likely be more important factors than having 15 stops instead of 13...

But yes, Sony are doing well in their sensor designs/compromises, and they definitely have a lot of DR in even their entry-level mirrorless (colour accuracy is thin in the extremes, but it's just bonus/recoverable extra anyway).
    Last edited by Mike P.; 02-12-2021 at 10:20 AM.