Thread: REd Control App not Connecting

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 REd Control App not Connecting 
    So I have had this work before but for some reason I can not get the red control app to see my Komodo.

1. Using Iphone using IOS 14.4
    2. Turned to Airplane mode
    3. Connected to Komodo AdHoc Wifi Network
    4. Opened app and nothing
    5. Tried to manual put IP in and nothing either

I did connect my iMac to the AdHoc Network and was able to connecting to my Komodo that way, so I do feel like there is setting in my phone.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

It's very, very common for IOS and other OS updates to bork various apps, particularly ones that connect via WiFi or Bluetooth. I suspect the RED Control App needs an update in this case.

IOS 14.4 was released less than two weeks ago, January 26, 2021 officially.

I'll submit a ticket on red.com, but I imagine 500 people already have.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

This happens quite frequently when I try to connect to Komodo-- usually as soon as I've handed the iPad to a director. Or the controls work, but the picture doesn't come through. I love the feature when it works, but don't feel I can rely on it on a professional level-- for now, it's just sort of a bonus.

I have not had an issue with it connecting, the iPad always sees it. But get the image is 50/50. What almost always fixes that is disconnecting from its WiFi, quit the app on the ipad and re link the WiFi and launch the app again. Biggest complaint I have is the lack of range before the image starts to pop and skip. Standing right next to it it streams the image fine. But stepping just 10 feet away it is already popping and skipping. I have lowered the quality settings but still an issue.

I have RED Komodo finaly complated, I mean all acsessory, but I am very unhappy about that wireles RED Controll app. Iīm using anrdroid cellphone. After instalation it worked for while but then the app lost signal, or better it just lost the Komodo icon. Because connection with mobil works. When Re-SCAN the app finds my Komodo but there is no icon I could click on. I change password an reconnected Komodo+phone again, there is no problem with connection but Red Control app just does not want to show the Komodo icon.
    So I bought Komodo Link Adaptor and with USB-C cable it works. But Iīll never ever be sucsessful to connect Red Control just wireless anymore.

Edit: even USB connection does not work anymore :-( I cannot connect Komodo with android smartphone. The RED Control app does not see my Komodo.

If this happen durring shooting... thank you :-(
    Last edited by Stanislav Guzak; 07-16-2021 at 05:54 AM.

I have not had this experience with my iPad. The only issue I have had with my ios device and the Red Control app was the distance. I could only use the app within a couple feet of the camera. If I was 10 feet away it would be unlikly that I could connect to the camera or have any image transferred to it. on a seperate thread here I explained that I bought a TPLink wifi router that runs off 5V USB power and than connected the camera to it and the ipad to the wifi. This greatly increased my range of use of this system. Try to move your phone right next to the camera, like a couple feet and try to connect your android phone, see if that works. If so I would consider a separate wifi router.

Just a suggestion.

If you are having any issues with connecting to Komodo via WiFi list:

- Smartphone/Device Make and Model
    - Operating System Version
    - Komodo firmware

If you are having difficultly, RED support would need this information, and importantly users can identify trends if there is a bug bouncing around.

I haven't had any issues connecting on IOS or Android, but I am 100% on newer models from the last 2 years.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Senior Member Mikael Lubtchansky's Avatar
    Also worth trying to turn airplane mode on / disable cellular network while using the app…
    some carriers will not let you connect to a wifi network if it has no internet access and will switch back to cellular…
    foolcat : HTML / PDF visual reports for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for iOS
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for Android
    foolcolor.net staying hungry, staying foolish facebook instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Mikael Lubtchansky View Post
    Also worth trying to turn airplane mode on / disable cellular network while using the app…
    some carriers will not let you connect to a wifi network if it has no internet access and will switch back to cellular…
    That's been my experience as well. My only frustration has been with my phone itself; it connects without problems as long as I remember to put it in airplane mode and then turn on wifi, but things like pinch zoom sometimes just don't work. Sometimes they do -- usually if I remember to reboot the phone before starting to use Red Control. I need a new phone.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Rakesh Malik
    Director of Photography, Colorist
    http://WinterLight.studio
    http://www.imdb.me/rakeshmalik

Good morning,
    Iíve a question about my new Komodo. I canít make the wifi IN komodo working. Itís always offline. I tried everything (airplane mode, adhoc, infrastructure etc)
    The Komodo donít speak wifi. Maybe the problem isnít the app but my Komodo. Is there a special trick to activate it?
    I literally tried everything😢
    Thank you guys!!!