Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 SONY ALPHA 1 - 8K FULL FRAME Pocket Camera 
    Announced

Andrew,

Here's a link to some YouTube videos

https://m.youtube.com/results?search_query=Sony+alpha+1

I'll add more than one word I guess.

8K UHD 30p 4:2:0 H.265 XAVC max, 4K UHD is 4:2:2 up to 120fps.

I suspect this will do binned as well 1:1 pixel resolution 4K, don't have official word just yet.

Stills side, in looking at the A7r II through IV I suspect this will have far superior autofocus due to the dual proc and fast AF readout. Will be interesting to compare as a stills camera purely. Zero blackout is huge for sports and wildlife people.

Video side, it's squarely in that premium mirrorless 8K world that the Canon R5 floats in. Obviously the lack of RAW on the SA1 is notable, but it does do 4.2K RAW externally. Both have about a 30 minute record time limit and we'll have to see if heat plays a role here for Sony. Canon also has an imminent R5 firmware update to add a bunch of features.

A little odd that I don't see DCI resolutions anywhere for Sony as the A1 does seem to be able to record DCI 8K and 4K, but what you end up seeing is a bigger crop on the FF35 sensor in 8K UHD versus canon.

Sony has some nice auxiliary features for streaming. Lack of flipout LCD like the R5 is a noticeable issue for some shooters.

What I can say is Sony's updated their menu system finally and that's a good thing.

I've added it to my tools now that embargo has lifted.

Here's the UHD 8K from the R5 and A1:
    http://phfx.com/tools/formatCompare/...&focalLengths=

This one I'll mull over a bit, was going to grab the ArIV to update my A7rII, but this seems like a closer successor in some ways. R5 is impressive so far, but I honestly use these cameras primarily for stills as they lack the dedicated motion picture camera related features.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    I'll add more than one word I guess.

8K UHD 30p 4:2:0 H.265 XAVC max, 4K UHD is 4:2:2 up to 120fps.

I suspect this will do binned as well 1:1 pixel resolution 4K, don't have official word just yet.

Stills side, in looking at the A7r II through IV I suspect this will have far superior autofocus due to the dual proc and fast AF readout. Will be interesting to compare as a stills camera purely. Zero blackout is huge for sports and wildlife people.

Video side, it's squarely in that premium mirrorless 8K world that the Canon R5 floats in. Obviously the lack of RAW on the SA1 is notable, but it does do 4.2K RAW externally. Both have about a 30 minute record time limit and we'll have to see if heat plays a role here for Sony. Canon also has an imminent R5 firmware update to add a bunch of features.

A little odd that I don't see DCI resolutions anywhere for Sony as the A1 does seem to be able to record DCI 8K and 4K, but what you end up seeing is a bigger crop on the FF35 sensor in 8K UHD versus canon.

Sony has some nice auxiliary features for streaming. Lack of flipout LCD like the R5 is a noticeable issue for some shooters.

What I can say is Sony's updated their menu system finally and that's a good thing.

I've added it to my tools now that embargo has lifted.

Here's the UHD 8K from the R5 and A1:
    http://phfx.com/tools/formatCompare/...&focalLengths=

This one I'll mull over a bit, was going to grab the ArIV to update my A7rII, but this seems like a closer successor in some ways. R5 is impressive so far, but I honestly use these cameras primarily for stills as they lack the dedicated motion picture camera related features.
    Some reports say it’s 8.6K actually. Thanks Phil!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dease View Post
    Some reports say it’s 8.6K actually. Thanks Phil!!!
    The full sensor is used for stills and is 8640x5760 resolution.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Yes, Sony are clearly leaving space for a Panasonic S2H (that'll also use a Sony sensor).

S1H has anamorphic support, LUT support, 3:2 full-frame recording, etc.

Neither this A1 or the A7S3 have that.

I also think that we might have reached the bandwidth limits of the current small external recorders (Ninja V was made in 2018). Perhaps this camera is capable of more raw output than it currently supports but the bottleneck is the Ninja V.

I could imagine Sony announcing additional raw modes to go with the release of a new version of the Ninja (or better yet Blackmagic, but there seem to be territorial issues)... or maybe not. Maybe they are happy to let Panasonic do that.

Bruce Allen
    www.bruceallen.tv

Ugh, why did the R5 have to overheat.

There's a lot here to like (image stabilization and wicked looking AF... and 50mp... and having 8k/30p), but also a couple of things not to like (*cough*420 on 8k*cough*). Does that mean the full 16bit raw output will do 8k raw externally? Are there any recorders that can do that, yet?

Other than that, the $6500 price tag is...umm... how should I say it... very Komodo-friendly. Ha! I mean, it's primarily (action) stills, but that's more than the GFX which is MF. Horses for courses, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    Does that mean the full 16bit raw output will do 8k raw externally?
    Dunno!

Are there any recorders that can do that, yet?
    From HDMI? No!

Other than that, the $6500 price tag is...umm... how should I say it... very Komodo-friendly. Ha! I mean, it's primarily (action) stills, but that's more than the GFX which is MF. Horses for courses, I guess.
    Agree! I mean this is pretty cool if you have to travel very light and do stills and video (just get a nice set of Sony lenses and two A1 bodies and you have backups / two cams that can do either).

But yes to me this leaves lots of space for Komodo... and C70... and FX6... and S1H... and lots more to come, presumably.

Bruce Allen
    www.bruceallen.tv

I think Atomos is about to release their HDMI 2.1 CF Express recorder that can do 8k.