Thread: sensor calibration - Monstro FW 7.4.1

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 sensor calibration - Monstro FW 7.4.1 
    Hello ,

I've updated to FW 7.4.1 and want to calibrate the sensor.
    I want to perform an Auto calibration but the camera tells me "there is not enough space on the camera to perform the new calibration".
    Strange thing this happens even if I deleted all auto calib I had before and now only have 3 manual calibration maps.

I have a Monstro and I would like to know why RED is proposing Autocalibration only for Dragon sensors? This has changed from previous build.

Thanks

Patrick

That's odd as they both should work.

Monstro benefits slightly from a Manual Calibration and the bonus is you only have to wait about 8 minutes instead for 40 for auto cal.

You'll still have a decent usable shutter speed/angle/integration time range.

Haven't ran an auto cal in years.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Thanks Phil for your answer.

I managed to perform the Autocalibration (for Dragon)... hope it’s not problematic for Monstro use...

Random thoughts:

+) Are the LOOKs stored in Camera memory?

+) If you put an empty SSD in - does that camera then use that as 'workspace' (long shot - I may have a ref to this in an old doc - something along the lines that the SSD was used in the calibration process, but was not convinced it was in use myself).

+) In the same scenario, I would consider a reset - to flush out any old values of data (just incase there is some segment of internal memory that is in an 'unexpected' state - not something that I have seen recently)

AJ

We do not recommend automatic calibration for the more modern MONSTRO, HELIUM, or GEMINI sensors. Automatic calibration is designed specifically for DRAGON's architecture.

I would recommend letting the camera come to temperature in your shooting environment (or at least stabilizing at your target temperature range for 5 to 10 minutes) and then performing a manual calibration at 1/47.95 (or whatever your base shutter speed will be).

Any shorter shutter speeds (i.e. higher frame rates) will be covered by that same calibration and you will not need to recalibrate. Any longer shutter speed stuff (such as 1/24) you may want to have a dedicated calibration map just for that.

Of course the "E" indicator will still warn you when you are too far outside of the acceptable range of shutter speed.

Nothing in the calibration process changed with 7.4.1 other than rewording that prompt to encourage best practices.
    Loren Simons
    RED Digital Cinema
    Motion Picture Technology Advisor