Thread: RED's militaristic branding and marketing.

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Scot Yount View Post
    So...I am just trying to understand this. You bought a RED camera because everyone you were working with wants them....but now you think they WON'T want them because they have a skull on them? (which they had before?). I think it is pretty clear that RED's marketing is very intentional. Lots of RED folks come from skateboarding, bike messengers, snowboarders, extreme skiers, motocross and surfers. On and on.

So...yeah, maybe those people like the marketing and nomenclature that RED has chosen in the past. Again, while I own a so called forged Weapon camera, and though I was in the military for 6 years, and though I don't like the marketing myself, I have never had a client come up to me and ask me about skulls.
    I am worried there WILL be a backlash. Have you seen what's happening here in our country? The skull branding logos could easily be seen by people as white supremacy and fascist symbols considering they have been used throughout history and today by those exact people. Even if RED's marketing never becomes a public debate, the overall culture it represents is the last thing I want to be associated with while working and making a living, especially now.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Sutton-Hough View Post
    The skull branding logos could easily be seen by people as white supremacy
    This is almost comical.... Have you thought about putting tape over the logos? You can choose whatever colour you like to not offend yourself.

This is silly.

Red was created by passion and a rebellious, groundbreaking atitude towards the status quo back when it was launched.
    This attitude is what makes also Red create the amazing, groundbreaking tools every single time.

Taste is very subjective.

For me, as long as RED keeps this attitude and keeps breaking ground, innovating, creating tools that open doors to creativity and to new possibilities, what the passionate fellows that create the brand like is fine by me.

I for one love the design aesthetic, the colours - stormtrooper white and regular black, as well as my Carbon Monstro. Loved the Hydrogen industrial design. Love the DSMC2 and 1 Form Factor. And also th support gear and whole internal Red design and ecosystem.
    Sťrgio Perez

Weapon Monstro #03294 "Amochai" in Macau

Video Director/Creative/Producer

http://vimeo.com/user1503556

https://www.youtube.com/user/spzprod..._as=subscriber

I am worried there WILL be a backlash. Have you seen what's happening here in our country? The skull branding logos could easily be seen by people as white supremacy and fascist symbols considering they have been used throughout history and today by those exact people. Even if RED's marketing never becomes a public debate, the overall culture it represents is the last thing I want to be associated with while working and making a living, especially now.
    Yes, I have seen what is happening in this country. I should make note of the fact that I was a TV News reporter (not camera op) for 28 years. I covered 9/11, the Sandy Hook Elementary School Massacre, the Boston Marathon Bombing and and a thousand other murders and fires. I have had guns pointed at me by people who were angry that we were there, and even by a police sergeant who pointed his revolver at my head and said "I should fucking shoot you", while he trembled with anger. I know a lot about what people are capable of, and what weapons mean to some people, and what that has done to our democracy. All that said, what I can tell you is that we are taking ourselves way too seriously to think anybody but US cares about what logos are on our cameras.

Edit: At the end of the day, your camera is a tool. Not a lifestyle. Do you think Mark Toia cares what logo is on his camera? My father was a land surveyor. He (and other surveyors) call the transit or theodolite the "gun". And he used to say if you want to make a living, you need to invest in your tools. That is what I have done...logos that I do not like be damned, and so far, the cheques have not bounced.
    Last edited by Scot Yount; 01-12-2021 at 09:18 PM.
    Monstro 8K VV 025118 Lena
    Forged CF Helium 8K 00107
    Storm Trooper Komodo 0149
    Scarlet X 02249 (The Gateway Drug)
    RED Pro Zooms
    Zeiss Otus
    Xeen CF
    Director/DP at https://www.butcherbox.com

Living life by the ocean.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie A View Post
    This is almost comical.... Have you thought about putting tape over the logos? You can choose whatever colour you like to not offend yourself.
    To be clear we are not only talking about it on the camera. Its the logo on website, social media, packaging, and any promotions. Its the whole branding identity behind the Weapon and Komodo Skulls, its a message and image RED wants to portray.

That is what marketing and branding is. Its not just one logo on the camera to cover up its the brand identity. Something that some velcro taped over it can't cover up.

Also getting violent threats in my email account now by Tom Hereford? Anyone know who this is? I think they just created a new gmail account to threaten me. Is this what RED is fostering?

To be clear we are not only talking about it on the camera. Its the logo on website, social media, packaging, and any promotions. Its the whole branding identity behind the Weapon and Komodo Skulls, its a message and image RED wants to portray.

That is what marketing and branding is. Its not just one logo on the camera to cover up its the brand identity. Something that some velcro taped over it can't cover up.

Also getting violent threats in my email account now by Tom Hereford? Anyone know who this is? I think they just created a new gmail account to threaten me. Is this what RED is fostering?
    It is a tool. Not a lifestyle. And if somebody is threatening you then everyone on this forum will come to your defense. That is what this community is, a pool of passionate ideas, and while we might not agree, we can be civil.
    RED Pro Zooms
    Zeiss Otus
    Xeen CF

Absolute lunacy.. This is highly arbitrary and strictly personal consumption. As someone who is totally against white supremacy I have never caught that vibe with any RED products. Its obviously apparent this conversation is dwindling into something outside of the the original post. As a African American I am a little disappointed....
    Scarlet-X 02987 *** Epic-M 00112 *** Komodo XXXXX
    Creative Director for Radiance Film & Digital Cinema 365

This whole thing is a bit of a tempest in a teapot. The rest of the world does not give a shit about high end cinema cameras and their marketing.
    RED Pro Zooms
    Zeiss Otus
    Xeen CF

I would be very happy to see the brand move away from the military aesthetic.
    The user-base is both men & women and we don't all shoot EXTREME ACTION.

I'll just slide in and state people have previously voiced discomfort with some of the naming of things and it seems RED has listened to that. There are no Weapons, Bombs, or whatever in the store these days. The current worst offender is "Tactical" from a quick browse through the shop.

As for the skull. Whelp, I'm biased as I've had one on my business cards since I was a teenager and still use that currently. The skull itself carries a lot of symbolism throughout cultures well before "now". My particular fascination has been tied to mortality as well as anatomy and wisdom, perhaps even the look into the deeper mysteries of life, but everybody will take their own interpretation I imagine. Somewhere between DaVinci and Goonies I took a shinning to it.

Overall they seem to welcome feedback and it does seem to implement change likely after things are mulled over a bit. Much of the weaponry themed aesthetic is a memory from a previous decade now.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon