Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: RED IN EUROPE? Bye bye UK... and now?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. #1 RED IN EUROPE? Bye bye UK... and now? 
    I have a question, now that the UK is outside Europe, what will happen to Europeans with the service with RED?

because sending to RED USA does not seem viable since it adds customs expenses and longer waiting times.

is there any other HQ planned in europe?

Any news?
    RED W Woven CF HELIUM® 8K S35, RED Komodo® 6K S35.
    Camera, Mōvi, Drone, Film service Ibiza, Film Crew in Ibiza.
    TupraStudio, your creative space.
    http://www.tupra.es
    @tuprastudio

Yes, this is a really pertinent question?
    Pinewood and CVP are no longer accessible to the continent and I bought all my cameras through them.
    It feels crazy that there is no real RED Europe that is easy to approach for sale and service.

Quote Originally Posted by Toni Tur View Post
    I have a question, now that the UK is outside Europe, what will happen to Europeans with the service with RED?

because sending to RED USA does not seem viable since it adds customs expenses and longer waiting times.

is there any other HQ planned in europe?

Any news?
    I think that if you send a product for repair to the US you would not have to pay for costumes, it might just be a pain in the ass to get the right forms and the customs office to actually understand what's happening.
    and of course the longer waiting times, and shipping times suck.

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    I brought this up back when Brexit was voted for, but people just dismissed it because it would take time. Well, that time is now and Red has not really given any solution to this for EU customers. The latest equipment that we got was the Komodo, which I could handle as usual within EU customs handling. But now, I'm not sure how things will be handled. All EU members ordering directly from Red gets VAT on top of VAT and import VAT on top of that. Ordering within EU only applies country-based VAT.

So what is Red's plan here? Will they reopen Red Berlin, which would have been a great option. As far as I have read about Brexit and the decided deals with EU; only products under $300 can be bought with EU applied regulations. Most of the equipment from Red appears over that limit.

So, Red needs to open a Red office in a country within EU, like they previously had with Red Berlin, or they would need to have a special deal with Great Britain and EU in order to handle orders even though they physically are located at Pinewood.
    If not, EU customers get VAT screwed whenever ordering from Red.

I'm not sure what the status is, but it seems Red no longer writes on this forum, or at least there's been a major decline in community communication. Maybe Red shifted to just an inner circle of customers instead, but this issue needs to be communicated to all EU customers so that we know what the future will look like for our Red accounts. So I would urge Red to take note of this.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600 Red Komodo #002397

The Proforma invoice of my Komodo issued in October, comes with a VAT from France, I remember that before they came with VAT from UK ...
    is it possible that it is the RED movement? a central in France?
    RED W Woven CF HELIUM® 8K S35, RED Komodo® 6K S35.
    Camera, Mōvi, Drone, Film service Ibiza, Film Crew in Ibiza.
    TupraStudio, your creative space.
    http://www.tupra.es
    @tuprastudio

With all this in mind, I'm actually wondering where I should order a Komodo - when they become available again!?

Where did you order yours Christopher?

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by William Long View Post
    With all this in mind, I'm actually wondering where I should order a Komodo - when they become available again!?

Where did you order yours Christopher?
    As I mentioned, this was before Brexit took effect, so around two-three months ago. I ordered through mail with the support team, since there was an error on the order page for the EU version of red.com. Through them, they set up an order with removed US and UK VAT. Right now I think Red UK won't be able to do that because of Brexit, so this is exactly the question I ask Red; how will EU customers handle orders going forward? Since there's no Red Berlin anymore and there's no other EU office I know off at this time. If it's possible to go through Red UK as before, then that's fine, but we need to know how to order as EU customers or else we will get triple VAT applied throughout the order.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600 Red Komodo #002397

Well, Red hasn't still understood, I keep repeating myself from the very beginning...

Quote Originally Posted by Kristin Stewart View Post
    I've been saying this since the very beginning of the Red Europe implementation in London. Red never listened, they'll learn it the hard way, as usual ;-)

I've always been an advocate of a true European Center in Germany : Germans have a great history in cinema gear, they speak English fluently, their professional mentality is similar to the American one, their location is in the middle of Europe, taking into account that the future of Europe is East. And Russians will be able to buy from Germany too, because this country has good international relationships with them. So, what Red is waiting for ?

;-)

Kristin

+1 to a new RED Europe in Germany.

The one in England at Pinewood is unfortunately completely redundant now - CVP UK too.

Goods sold from the UK to the EU now simply don't have UK VAT applied to them. We used to have to charge VAT if there was no valid EU vat number, otherwise it was not applied.

Now, you as an EU customer no longer need an EU VAT number to avoid the UK VAT. So actually those EU customers who aren't VAT registered are now better off, and those who are VAT registered are exactly as before.

Brexit is a stupidity in many respects, but in this specific regard it's had only positive effects for EU customers of UK companies.
    KipperTie - Authorised RED Rental, Pinewood Studios, UK
    Ready to hire: Monstro 8K VV | Gemini 5K | Helium Monochrome 8K
    Check out our Revolva ND solution, OLPFs and other products