Thread: Komodo shipping?

Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 39 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast
    OK this camera is not available anywhere.

Why would they announce a new product, when the supply VS demand ratio is so broken?

Similar thing happened to the Ursa Mini 4.6K back in the day - I waited for almost 1 whole year for my order to ship.

Clearly, you don't understand the business mind. Backlog is good, a short supply is good. It keeps up the mystique and the demand.

I believe the scarcity argument might be valid for the first few weeks, but after that production should ramp up to provide adequate availability. Look at Apple for example; Surely with a market cap that is in excess of $2 trillion dollars, they understand “the business mind”? I believe you are confusing “the business mind” with “the show business mind”. It’s safe to say that Apple has the superior model.

Red needs to step up production to meet demand, not emulate BMD’s awful business model. In the real world poor availability makes it seem like the company is in over their head. You can only blame COVID for so long.

Quote Originally Posted by Han Vogen View Post
    I believe the scarcity argument might be valid for the first few weeks, but after that production should ramp up to provide adequate availability. Look at Apple for example; Surely with a market cap that is in excess of $2 trillion dollars, they understand “the business mind”? I believe you are confusing “the business mind” with “the show business mind”. It’s safe to say that Apple has the superior model.

Red needs to step up production to meet demand, not emulate BMD’s awful business model. In the real world poor availability makes it seem like the company is in over their head. You can only blame COVID for so long.
    Totally agree with your approach!!
    RED W Woven CF HELIUM® 8K S35, RED Komodo® 6K S35.
    Camera, Mōvi, Drone, Film service Ibiza, Film Crew in Ibiza.
    TupraStudio, your creative space.
    http://www.tupra.es
    @tuprastudio

There are a number of extreme challenges in the world at the moment that most people without experience of manufacturing probably won't understand. Specifically the wildly fluctuating availability and cost of electronic components, Chinese manufacturing capacity and trans-continental shipping. I also suspect that RED underestimated the demand. Those of us that remember the madness of the '3K for $3K!' days smile knowingly...... '6K for $6K!'

You must have missed the news about the global pandemic, and apparently also of the massive wildfires.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Rakesh Malik
    Director of Photography, Colorist
    http://WinterLight.studio
    http://www.imdb.me/rakeshmalik

You perhaps missed the last line of my post?

You perhaps missed the last line of my post?
    I didn't...and you CAN blame Covid forever if you need to. Jarred always says something like "making shit is hard." and while you draw references to companies like Apple, RED is a micro-speck by comparison. BlackMagic consistently over-claims and under-delvers. In RED's defense, the world is in turmoil and somehow, they are managing to make an incredible camera at incredible price. I can assure you that they are not sitting on their hands buried in their phones and not turning out cameras because they are lazy or are poor planners.
    Monstro 8K VV 025118 Lena
    Forged CF Helium 8K 00107
    Storm Trooper Komodo 0149
    Scarlet X 02249 (The Gateway Drug)
    RED Pro Zooms
    Zeiss Otus
    Xeen CF
    Director/DP at https://www.butcherbox.com

Living life by the ocean.

No one is attacking Red... no need for defense. But clearly Red should scale production to meet demand. I’d wager that they are already looking into doing exactly this.

There's a lot more to marketing and maximizing ROI than knee jerk responding to market demand. It takes time and financial investment to ramp up. It takes time and investment to scale back. It's rare to be able to time each to the market. There are also other extenuating circumstances. Shortage of raw material resources is a big one, as there has been a reported world wide shortage of silicon. The point is, one can't proclaim a random bashing without understanding the reasons for the circumstances, just because it doesn't suit you.