Thread: DZOFILM Vespid Full Frame Prime Cinema Lenses in EF and PL

Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    DZOFilm Vespid Review - Tim Butt 2 Productions - Early Preview

By Tim Butt 2 Productions

Hi Phil

Do you think the distortion would show up in s35?

Best
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    I've had these for about 2 months now and have been testing them.

If you're after my quick thoughts. First and foremost, the price is insane for what these are. Though the marketing literature doesn't reveal it, these are APO lenses and I knew that immediately when I put them up on my Monstro.

They are clearly designed to be as compact and high quality as possible, meaning low CA. However on the wides you will notice more distortion on the 25 and 35mm. Somewhat similar to compact zooms or vintage wide anamorphics if you want to think of it that way.

Flare is extremely corrected and barely there, which leaves rather clean and contrasty images. Which is nice and a somewhat fresh take on lenses in the entry level price point.

Also, extremely minimal breathing, which matches well with their recent zooms.

DZO Vespid Prime Series | Cosplay & Test Footage

By 南KANA

Been seeing posts of people getting their sets delivered. Any new thoughts on whether/how they've been tweaked since reviews last year?
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"

curious as well. I had the zooms but couldn't handle the weight. (lame, i know.)

We just got our set at Northwest Camera Co, Happy to answer any questions. After playing with them a bit on my c500ii, they are friggin fantastic for the price. their look really reminds me of late 90's leica Summicrons. A good blend of modern and vintage. Obviously the breathing is much better on these than the leicas. I LOVE the 25. it has a little distortion that shows up on charts, but in the real world its so hard to spot unless you are trying to find it. flares are great and havent really seen a lick of CA but havent put it in any crazy wild situations yet.
    DP/Director/Producer
    www.domenicthedp.com
    www.nw-camera.com

Alexa Mini/Amira, RED Dragon, Monstro, Canon C500 Mark ii, C300ii, Sony FX9, FS7, UMP G2, Pocket 6k/4k, Sony A7s/r ii, Cooke Panchro Classics, Atlas Anamorphics, Zeiss Cp3, Angenieux EZ1/2, Celere HS set, Leica R Duclos set, DSO Trump series, Sigma Cine Primes, Contax Zeiss Superspeeds, GL Optics 18-35, 50-100, 70-200, tokina 11-16 PL, Laowa 24mm Probe, Movi Pro, Grip Vans, Skypanels, HMI's, Hive, Aputure, Litepanels, Litemats

Quote Originally Posted by Domenic Barbero View Post
    We just got our set at Northwest Camera Co, Happy to answer any questions. After playing with them a bit on my c500ii, they are friggin fantastic for the price. their look really reminds me of late 90's leica Summicrons. A good blend of modern and vintage. Obviously the breathing is much better on these than the leicas. I LOVE the 25. it has a little distortion that shows up on charts, but in the real world its so hard to spot unless you are trying to find it. flares are great and havent really seen a lick of CA but havent put it in any crazy wild situations yet.
    Cool! Keep us up to date. Sounds really sweet!
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"

Are you able to test it against some other lenses in that price range? Maybe even some Leica, Canon FD, Contax Zeiss for some (closer to price-range) options?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Langdon View Post
    Are you able to test it against some other lenses in that price range? Maybe even some Leica, Canon FD, Contax Zeiss for some (closer to price-range) options?
    i do have a set of FD, Contax and Leica R, but truth be told, none of those are cine lenses, so it really isn't a fair comparison. If you want looks, each will have their own distinct look, but in terms of a look and cine mechanics, i don't think there is too much else on the market for the same price. I can tell you a lot about different lens aesthetics in that price range, and you might find one you like more, but they arent going to perform nearly as well in terms of CA, breathing, speed etc, not to mention lacking full cine lens capabilities. If you want any specific questions answered in terms of look alone, id be happy to answer and questions.
    DP/Director/Producer
    www.domenicthedp.com
    www.nw-camera.com

Alexa Mini/Amira, RED Dragon, Monstro, Canon C500 Mark ii, C300ii, Sony FX9, FS7, UMP G2, Pocket 6k/4k, Sony A7s/r ii, Cooke Panchro Classics, Atlas Anamorphics, Zeiss Cp3, Angenieux EZ1/2, Celere HS set, Leica R Duclos set, DSO Trump series, Sigma Cine Primes, Contax Zeiss Superspeeds, GL Optics 18-35, 50-100, 70-200, tokina 11-16 PL, Laowa 24mm Probe, Movi Pro, Grip Vans, Skypanels, HMI's, Hive, Aputure, Litepanels, Litemats

If you want any specific questions answered in terms of look alone, id be happy to answer and questions.
    Domenic,

What would you say their look resembles in current high end cine lenses?
    Are they more like Cooke VS Master prime etc?

I have the zooms and love them

Curtis
    ---------------------------
    Curtis Boggs
    www.cboggs.com

Cinematographer-DP-Colorist
    Epic-W 8k (Spanky)
    Komodo 6k (baby)
    Sigma Cinema zoom set
    Leica-R Cine mod prime set
    DZOfilm Pictor zoom set 20-55, 50-125
    Various other strange or vintage lenses