Thread: Komodo + DJI RS 2

Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by K. Rixon View Post
    What are your impressions of the Float so far? I've got one on back-order, but worry that I'm going to have to do a ton of compromising to use it.
    I find it super nice. None of the bits had any issue in my kit. You need a gopro battery for the remote but except for that it does not need any mods. I think most complaints was people who never operated a steadycam and or got early production runs that had some faults.

Was playing around in the office with it today with the dji auto focus... Together with float its quite a game changer. My films where I chase my cats around the garden will look tons better. Tack sharp and shalow focus. :)

https://flic.kr/p/2kQgRLF
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Stability is the issue, that's why side handles are preferable. The float is not something I'll get because I need a faster switch between using the gimbal and tripods. Balancing the Float and operating that doesn't really fit my workflow.
    As well as custom-building isn't really something I have resources for. So I need to get what I can get.

So I still need to know which side handle works best, Tiltas or DJIs? And what about SmallRigs Manfrotto plate? Is it possible to mount counter-weights on the back of it? What SDI 12G cables work that doesn't affect balancing etc.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600 Red Komodo #002397

Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    I find it super nice. None of the bits had any issue in my kit. You need a gopro battery for the remote but except for that it does not need any mods. I think most complaints was people who never operated a steadycam and or got early production runs that had some faults.

Was playing around in the office with it today with the dji auto focus... Together with float its quite a game changer. My films where I chase my cats around the garden will look tons better. Tack sharp and shalow focus. :)

https://flic.kr/p/2kQgRLF
    Thanks for the insight. I figured the complaints were from people who didn't quite know what they were getting into. I have a few early classes in steadycam ops, so my expectations for the float are definitely measured. I'm by no means an expert.

Now hopefully tilta can get mine out the door in the next month

Checked out the Tilta side handles and there's one thing I don't understand. Why do the handle with the focus wheel have to be wirelessly connected to the RS2 when a cable between that handle and RS2 would make much more sense? Don't understand the benefit of that and is there a cable version instead to reduce the number of wireless signals?

https://youtu.be/0IrXr_uaBfU?t=233
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."

Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer Glans View Post
    Checked out the Tilta side handles and there's one thing I don't understand. Why do the handle with the focus wheel have to be wirelessly connected to the RS2 when a cable between that handle and RS2 would make much more sense? Don't understand the benefit of that and is there a cable version instead to reduce the number of wireless signals?

https://youtu.be/0IrXr_uaBfU?t=233
    Tiltas wireless RS2 controller that comes with float is superb. Zero lag and good range and just works. I assume their handle does the same.
    Björn Benckert

Tiltas wireless RS2 controller that comes with float is superb. Zero lag and good range and just works. I assume their handle does the same.
    But is it based on the same tech? I mean, I get that it might be good to go wireless for the handle since you could use it for a second person controlling focus and the head just using the handle, but does it have an internal battery to work like that? I just don't get why the handle doesn't have a cable option? What's the point of having it wireless when it's attached to the RS2? It's not even working towards the moving parts, but the base of the RS2.

Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer Glans View Post
    But is it based on the same tech? I mean, I get that it might be good to go wireless for the handle since you could use it for a second person controlling focus and the head just using the handle, but does it have an internal battery to work like that? I just don't get why the handle doesn't have a cable option? What's the point of having it wireless when it's attached to the RS2? It's not even working towards the moving parts, but the base of the RS2.
    The tilta float jostick / controller thing also runs on its own battery and it can be charged / powered wiht USB3 in, is it not the same for the handle?

And the joystick lasts really long on one little gopro battery so no real need for wires. To me its great if all camera equipment that could is self driven + USB-C . Much better than stupidly expansive lemo connectors that can have wrong polarity and breaks far to easy.

Untitled by Björn Benckert, on Flickr
    Björn Benckert

We been improving on this for a while now. Think this is iteration 27 of the printed stuff. Improvements makes perfect, they say... :)

https://vimeo.com/536504140

Björn Benckert

DJI RS2 - Best Gimbal for RED Komodo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiUELPfXDGI

We been improving on this for a while now. Think this is iteration 27 of the printed stuff. Improvements makes perfect, they say... :)

https://vimeo.com/536504140

Is that the same Power Splitter Box Cable as this one? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...Y3UFHRF4&psc=1
    No, I do not RENT MY GEARS... - NYC (Times Square)

EPIC-D with 9" touch, 4 RAVENs, RPP, Sigma 18-35 PL, Motion Mount, VF/RED-rock wireless FF, Pana 17", JVC 20", Seadicam with SEGWAY, Letus 4-Axis with L'Aigle Exoskeleton.

Trash-Can 12-core Max'd-out) +MBP (Retina), RED Rocket (Sonnet), RAID system (Promise Pegasus II), Adobe Production (CC), FCS2, Resolve 12 with MC Color, 50" 4K Panel