Thread: Komodo Battery F.A.Q.

Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas B. View Post
    Agreed. Approved accessories should give us some safety in terms of safe operation and reliability. But I'm quite sure that RED can (temporarily) revoke the approved status for a third party accessory. ((Didn't that happen to WC's DSMC2 Easy Top Plate or am I wrong? If I remember correctly, WC had to redesign the internal electronics so that the plate received power from the DSMC2 brain instead from an internal battery. Again, I guess no manufacturer offers a product warranty that covers damages caused by their product. CoreSWX doesn't even have a legal notice (terms of sale, etc.) on their website...))
    Coming back to Tilta's Battery Plate, I find it a bit strange that the power goes through both BP slots... what's that good for?!
    I believe that it takes the 14v power and splits it in order not to go over 7v. Otherwise, it would be too high for being safe?

But this is the reason why I have never been a fan of going third party for side gear with DMSC2. It's more than just warranty, it's about being able to pinpoint problems together with Red support and not having to go through two-three companies trying to find the problem before fixing it.

Why can't Red just make a V-Lock battery plate for Komodo? We have a few designs now that shows strengths and weaknesses and the Tilta is clearly the best of them having a small form factor but two 2-pin connectors and two P-taps. It's like... didn't they figure that we need to be able to use remote focus motors? It's not possible with BP batteries so why not just make a V-Lock plate that's within the Red infrastructure? I would say it's more common to use v-lock batteries than using the expander module.

If Red released a V-lock module tomorrow that works as low key as the Tilta, I would buy it in an instant.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600 Red Komodo #002397

I talked to Tilta, and unofficially he said that they are waiting to hear back from Red. I like that plate too, but having had to pay for one power based repair, I'm equally nervous. But at this point, the Tilta plate (AB for me) looks the best. Any thoughts what cables will work best with the two included on the Tilta plate? I assume the hot/ground are the same on all 2 pin LEMOs?
    Scarlet #518 "Bottle Rocket"
    FyreworxFilms.com

Is it possible to see power life indication for GLOBAL DYNAMICS UNITED 98Wh Mini V-Mount Battery
    with D-Tap - 2pinn connector? Now it's showed like an power cable...

Quote Originally Posted by AlexPo View Post
    Is it possible to see power life indication for GLOBAL DYNAMICS UNITED 98Wh Mini V-Mount Battery
    with D-Tap - 2pinn connector? Now it's showed like an power cable...
    D-Tap is not a smart connector, no battery will transmit power info through it. Nor is the DC-IN.

Right now charge info goes through the BP mount and needs to communicate with it directly.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

I got it. just want to be sure. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    D-Tap is not a smart connector, no battery will transmit power info through it. Nor is the DC-IN.

Right now charge info goes through the BP mount and needs to communicate with it directly.

The design, feature set and reasonable cost of the Tilta plate are indeed compelling. +1 on getting it either RED approved, or feedback from RED engineering to Tilta about what isn't OK.

Now, if RED is interested in making a plate similar to the Tilta - maybe 1/2" thicker with an internal short run battery...

Cheers - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel hills View Post
    Bought loads of BP-915 and saying it's not authorised battery. I thought canon BP-915 was authorised
    They were new, made by Canon? I have some Watson's and no, other brands are frequently not chipped.

I am curious how much run time you are getting from them?
    So far I'd say 25-30 minutes.
    Best Regards,
    David C. Didato
    Producer/Director
    magicdogcreative.com: concept write - direct shoot edit