View Poll Results: Would you like to see image settings added to the RED OLED EVF?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Don't know, don't care

1 3.85%
  • prefer no options for EVF settings

1 3.85%
  • would like to see image settings like contrast added

24 92.31%

Thread: RED OLED EVF settings poll

Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    I have far better results when it comes to image quality using Gratical HD on DSMC2 then any Red EVF so far. I finally settled down for older OLED bomb as it costs 600$ and its equally bad as new 4000$ EVF. Only good thing about that EVF in my opinion is the optics, they are top notch and relay pleasant to the eye. to bad that EVF is not better as it had a potential
    Epic-W Helium 8k #6819

Quote Originally Posted by Luka Sanader View Post
    I have far better results when it comes to image quality using Gratical HD on DSMC2 then any Red EVF so far. I finally settled down for older OLED bomb as it costs 600$ and its equally bad as new 4000$ EVF. Only good thing about that EVF in my opinion is the optics, they are top notch and relay pleasant to the eye. to bad that EVF is not better as it had a potential
    that is smart!

Update:

When talking to tech support about the greyed out low contrast image, they claimed that the older BOMB OLED EVF was considered too dark, so with the newer DSMC2 OLED, they lifted the shadows so operators cold see in the dark.

However, in this thread linked below, Luka attached the old BOMB led evf to a DSMC2 and did not get crunchy blacks as tech support mentioned, but he got milked out blacks and low contrast, just like the newer DSMC2 oled:
    http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...31#post1925031

What this implies, is that the issue is not with the OLED EVF, so much as the video feed coming from the camera. Like Red messed up the video coming from the camera.

The disappointing thing, is that for Ranger owners, not getting a fix for this, means that we got a faulty camera brand new and red refuses to address the issue, or even say the real reason why.

Question is, why can the Panavision DXL2 provide a good image to its EVF? EDIT - looks like the DXL2 EVF is getting fed video from the rear SDI port, and power from a lemo cable. Though, the DXL2 has 4 SDI out on the rear, and DSMC2 has 4 video out options, so they are likely just redirecting the top and left LCD ports to the rear. So, I guess the question still stands, why can the DXL2 EVF look great, but not the $4500 Red EVF?
    Last edited by James Sielaff; 03-01-2021 at 01:25 AM.

It reminds me of one of the camera firmware updates a while back that resulted in raised black levels through the top LCD monitor, that got quickly fixed with the next firmware update.

I wonder if it's a similar thing.

And if it is, what priority it would have on RED's 'to-do' list, if it's there at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Hillis View Post
    It reminds me of one of the camera firmware updates a while back that resulted in raised black levels through the top LCD monitor, that got quickly fixed with the next firmware update.

I wonder if it's a similar thing.

And if it is, what priority it would have on RED's 'to-do' list, if it's there at all.
    hopefully itnis a firmware thing. seems like even the Komodo is experiencing a similar, but more subtle issue upon conversion. all of this could be related to an issue with rec709 type conversions. see this thread as well:

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...rated-shadows&

obviously not the same exact issue, but all related in regards to viewing and conversion.

Does anyone know what EVF mod this is?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNaQ1g7h..._web_copy_link

must be a one off custom thing.

has anyone tried the new firmware yet? has that had any change on the EVF issue?

I was on red.com and saw a page of "known issues", and realized this is likely related to the same issue we are experiencing with the EVF. They are calling it "ERROR 0x7":

It reads:
    "Known Issue ID: 16392

Issue Summary: When an LCD is attached to the Primary EVF/LCD Port (on top of the camera) on a RED RANGER camera, the camera may show the following error message: "Error 0x7".

Target Firmware Fix: Investigating

Workaround: When the camera is off, remove the LCD. Then turn on the camera, and reattach the LCD. When available, contact RED Support to send your camera in for service."

This is the posterization issue that hasn't been resolved yet. It shows up in other ways, beyond just the EVF, so it is a camera body issue. Something with the video feed. But sadly, this also shows p in post in the footage sometimes too. So it could be partially IPP2's default rec709 conversion.

link to known issues page:
    https://support.red.com/hc/en-us/art...=future+of+red

So, to recap about the posterization and lifted shadows issue, that I wrongly assumed was the EVF, it is the camera video feed. I only noticed it in the EVF, because OLED is so much more critical and rich.

1. EVF is fine, exhibiting beautiful rich contrast at startup splash page, but once the system has fully booted up, the EVF shadows go gray and slightly posterized, Redding the contrast of the OLED display to that of a cheap LCD. Unfortunately RED tries to pass this off as a "feature"

2. In post, IPP2's default Rec709 conversation can exhibit a slight lift in the shadows, and slight, but sublet posterization in the under exposed areas of the image, rather than a smooth gradient.

3. The users of the High Bright Touch monitor also notice the shadows issue, likely because the screen is so bright, use are seeing how bad the shadows are being displayed. Normal LCD's might not emphasize the issue quite as much.

4. When using SmallHD Cine 7, I was turned off to how poor the image quality seemed. the shadows looks posterized. I thought maybe SmallHD was using FRC tech, but after all of the experiences and talks here on reduser, I now believe it was the DSMC2 firmware sending a bade video signal to the monitors this whole time.

Would I still want more EVF controls? Yes, but I think the bigger issue is the monitoring chain on the Red camera platform.
    Last edited by James Sielaff; 05-13-2021 at 08:57 PM.