Thread: Assistance with Variable NDs for Komodo - Which Variable filters do you recommend ?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Yes I would agree with Andree. If you are building out for a full crew shoot and studio setup proper 4x5 NDs like the True or Arri's are great. But if the majority of the work is small with almost no crew using less expensive screw-on NDs works like a charm and provides superior results over variNDs.

For personal projects I have a set of 82mm Formatt HiTech Firecrest NDs. I bought a .3 - 2.1 during one of their web-special sales for the cost of maybe one or two 4x5 filters. They are fantastic filters for the price and are very easy to use with my Leica R set and Lomo standard speed set. I have small soft pouches for the filters and can carry them around with a full lens set in a small to medium sized lens backpack. It makes shooting much more effortless than lugging around a 4x5 mattebox, aks, and filters.
    Adrian Jebef
    DIT
    www.jebefcorp.com

I will be going with the Revolva for RF. I'm surprised I haven't seen any mention of that here, yet. No polarization problems, but still able to get anywhere from 0 to 7 stops of reduction depending on what cartridge you put in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Lochert View Post
    I will be going with the Revolva for RF. I'm surprised I haven't seen any mention of that here, yet. No polarization problems, but still able to get anywhere from 0 to 7 stops of reduction depending on what cartridge you put in there.
    Do you have a link?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Tresch View Post
    Do you have a link?
    http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...=1#post1888601

What's interesting to me, Philip Grossman says other manufacturers
    will be offering NDs to fit Canon's EF to RF drop-in filter mount adapter
    (hoping for Tokina, Formatt, Schneider, Nisi, etc.)

starting around 12min20sec mark of this video:

https://youtu.be/bWqydwq1q6w

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Jebef View Post
    Yes I would agree with Andree. If you are building out for a full crew shoot and studio setup proper 4x5 NDs like the True or Arri's are great. But if the majority of the work is small with almost no crew using less expensive screw-on NDs works like a charm and provides superior results over variNDs.

For personal projects I have a set of 82mm Formatt HiTech Firecrest NDs. I bought a .3 - 2.1 during one of their web-special sales for the cost of maybe one or two 4x5 filters. They are fantastic filters for the price and are very easy to use with my Leica R set and Lomo standard speed set. I have small soft pouches for the filters and can carry them around with a full lens set in a small to medium sized lens backpack. It makes shooting much more effortless than lugging around a 4x5 mattebox, aks, and filters.
    Adrian, we do much the same. We have a comprehensive 77mm screw in set of NDs and creative filtration. Makes for a very low profile setup; ideal for lots of projects.
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Jim View Post
    What's interesting to me, Philip Grossman says other manufacturers
    will be offering NDs to fit Canon's EF to RF drop-in filter mount adapter
    (hoping for Tokina, Formatt, Schneider, Nisi, etc.)
    That would be amazing indeed! Now with the vari-ND and it's quality, the Canon mount is not really worth it.
    Apart from this I kind of like the idea still to change filters (not just rotate like Revolva and have only three with an extending filter wheel, the latter being a problem especially on a tiny camera like the komodo) whilst keeping them really small. You could have a whole filter set fit the size of a soda can.

Wondering who got picked by Canon or showed interest in making these. My guess is it's not Tiffen or Schneider (especially the later, being late to most other stuff than usual format MPTV filters), perhaps Nisi or Tokina, Formatt is kind of in a strange market position right now, hard to even get their MPTV filters in Europe - despite being British.
    Last edited by Andreas Eymannsberger; 06-05-2020 at 05:45 AM.

Hey Everyone....

I just recevied my Komodo and I'm definitely looking into ND Filters. Either the Canon Drop in Adapter with variable nd filters https://www.red.com/canon-drop-in-filter-mount-adapter or just a Tiffen 82mm Variable Neutral Density Filter https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ensity.html/qa (for my canon 24-70mm ll L series)

Any insight woiuld be much appreciated. I know in the loong run it would be cheaper to get the Canon Drop Adapter with nd. But I'll probably only going to need ND's for 4 lenses.

THank you.

For komodo or a DSCM2 camera you cannot beat the Kippterie revolva system and if not going that route I would simply recommend to stick with 4x5.65 ND's and a minimalist clip on matte box like the bright tangerine misfit atom. As many stated above a good set of ND's and matte box will follow you with each each camera body you invest in throughout the lifetime of a career (unless you are using camera's with internal ND's obviously). Check out the new ultra cine superslim firecrests which are 2mm instead of 4mm that just came out. I personally use Nisi Nano IRND 4x5.65 ND's and polarizer filters, which are on the cheaper/middle of the line ND's but have had great success with them and have compared them with firecrest and tokina with very little difference. Fore a simplistic matte box the misfit atom is great and the wooden camera zip box is not bad either for keeping weight down. For ultralight gimbal or drone builds I recommend screw on ND's if necessary but I still have been able to get away with the misfit atom and 4x5.65 ND's with very little hassle on most jobs.
    DSMC2 GEMINI + STORMTROOPER KOMODO

Sorry I konw this wont help, but I gave up on VND this year. Got myself some tokina irnd's and also a revolva. Coudln't be happier. I stopped using my polar pro base camp completely after this, not even a single time i wished i had it, and after a couple months of keeping it "jsut in case" i sold it yesterday.