Thread: Kinefinity MAVO Edge

Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 26323334353637 LastLast
    Jerome Gafpagear's Dairy on the Alexa Conversion for the Mavo Edge.

"This topic wil contain my diary about getting to learn the colours of the Kinefinity MAVO Edge 8k and working with them in post, and working on conversion luts to intercut Edge footage with Alexa footage. I already heard some people complaining about that Luts in general are not good , and that they need power grades from our side, but this is nonsense, because I am not going to clip or clamp data. We are just translating the kinelog curve into the Arri Log C curve, and we will use a 65 point 3d cube for that, so completely fine.

So boring days, lots of back and forth with different methods between Alexa and the Edge, many boring charts, mapping in nuke etc,
    but I finally had a few successes, For those who are new to Colour matrix… it’s a rabbit hole!

We wont go fully in depth with our methods, because we ourselves don't even understand them 100% and still puzzled. We first tried the custom mode, so we can actually study what colours do, by spending nights and nights with the footage from this point of view we can also suggest to Kinefinity what they can change in their core matrix, but eventually we will use ‘Light illusions top tier Light match’ program to interpret data from the edge and Arri Alexa. What we basically do is shoot several scenes with lots of rich data (colours specular light, deep shadows, skintones etc etc) , with both the Arri Alexa and the MAVO Edge from the exact same spot and same lens, we will denoise the footage so there’s no inteference of chroma noise, and we will match them pixel to pixel so that both images can be exactly overlayed, we will make a few different images which will then be feed into Lightmatch and will output a high grade 65 point cube. As long as the Edge captures good data, which means enough latitude, wide colour gamut etc. we can match both cameras, but this is always hard because in the base matrix of the camera no gamut clipping should happen. Cameras are data capturing boxes.. the more and better data they capture the better, as long as this data is not dirty, but healthy we can transform it into anything we want it to be. Ironically my gf was painting a bit as well, so quickly made a few images with both cameras. The more you shoot with both cameras in different scenarios and study the images in post the better we can understand how to to grade MAVO Edge footage. For ourselves the goal is not to match the Edge with the Alexa completely but to understand the nature of it’s matrix and get the most beautiful footage out there with this camera, and inspire our clients to do the same. Whatever style you prefer (subtractive additive colour science), we will try to make as much tools and blog posts to inspire upcoming MAVO Edge shooters how to treat their footage in post."
    Last edited by rand thompson; 07-27-2021 at 04:59 PM.

Kinefinity MAVO Edge 8K | Behind the Scenes (2021)

By Kinefinity Europe

We shot a kind of test video this summer with a demo unit of the new #Kinefinity #MAVO #Edge 8K, the first camera of its kind in Europe.
    You'll get to see this final video on Saturday! Until then, you can check out our behind the scenes video.

Kinefinity MAVO Edge 8K | Berlin Test Video

By Kinefinity Europe

I wonder what What optics were used...

Quote Originally Posted by Maira Fravel View Post
    I wonder what What optics were used...
    Maria,

I believe they used Supreme Primes

The Berlin test doesn’t do the camera any favours. But the camera does look pretty amazing here
    https://youtu.be/19bqVH4zdvY

The camera handles tones similarly to the Arri Alexa.

Gotta say, the Berlin video was nice but shows that focus is critical in 8K. Thought something was wrong with my eyes in the beginning of the video but turns out the focus was wonky! This makes me wonder about that Zcam F8, how much different is it to this and the competition? I saw some videos recently that shows the Zcams aren't too far off from the bigger names, Kinefinity's been around a bit but only seems to be hitting its stride now with the MAVO series, definitely some good stuff shown so far though.

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda Griffin View Post
    The camera handles tones similarly to the Arri Alexa.
    Amanda,

I believe according to Jerome, that the Mavo Edge's Color Science won't be finalized until around September. Jerome , as you have probably already read, is also working on a Kinelog to Arri Log- C conversion Lut as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Zack Birlew View Post
    Gotta say, the Berlin video was nice but shows that focus is critical in 8K. Thought something was wrong with my eyes in the beginning of the video but turns out the focus was wonky! This makes me wonder about that Zcam F8, how much different is it to this and the competition? I saw some videos recently that shows the Zcams aren't too far off from the bigger names, Kinefinity's been around a bit but only seems to be hitting its stride now with the MAVO series, definitely some good stuff shown so far though.
    I think 8K and Full-Frame together in one camera will always present focusing challenges and the Mavo Edge won't be any exception. I just wish that more 8K dynamic range tests and more footage in general were available for members to try in their own existing workflows. To see how the Mavo Edge measured up against existing Red Cameras.