Thread: Kinefinity MAVO Edge

Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rand thompson View Post
    Also,

I didn't really like the Magenta, Orange, Low Contrast Blue, Low Saturation looks in this film. Here are a few quick personal suggestions of how I would have graded these few scenes. And before you tear me a new asshole, I know these were grading decisions that were made by the Director, Director Of Photography..Etal. My grades are no more important than anyone else's I just wanted to give my 2 cents.

I prefer your grade, Rand, tbh. Great job.
    Patrick Webb,
    Director of Photography
    Heapsgood Productions, Norway.
    (www.Heapsgood.no)
    EPIC-X #06833 "Monsta" & SCARLET-X #01773 "Scratch"
    Carl Zeiss, Voigtänder & Russian glass

Thank you very much Patrick!

I extracted the Vimeo Video and ran a "Scene Auto Detect" to separate the scenes. some did ok some didn't. I removed the audio and just roughly assembled the video in no particular order. This was just a quick grade of a few scenes.

Last edited by rand thompson; 03-30-2021 at 10:56 PM.

Replaced 4:16 minute Grade with 5:43 Grade in POST# 243 with what I think has better grades with more and better sample footage.

Additional Information from No Film School for "Wake Up"

https://nofilmschool.com/kinefinity-...t-do-you-think

"Cinematographer Bochen Wan's story:

The production time for the short film Wake Up was very tight; I received the final version of the script only few days prior to the first day of shooting. I had merely 48 hours to decide the overall visual style of the film and the design of cinematography, so I sieved the key element out of the story hastily, and convert it into a visual language that can be interpreted by the images.

Wake Up is a story about a young girl whose dream and reality has overlapped with each other, so I decided to use a shallow depth of field to convey the feeling of obscurity and ambiguity. Similar to Alexa Mini LF and MAVO LF, shooting with shallow depth of field is the strength of MAVO Edge as a large frame camera. With large or full-frame CMOS imaging sensor, MAVO Edge is able to produce stunning images with a shallower depth of field while maintaining the same aperture compared to that of Super35 format.

The story of Wake Up also has a soft and relaxing vibe, so I chose ARRI Signature Prime lens for its ability of resolving high-resolution images with smooth out-of-focus transition. With its T1.8 Lens, I was able to achieve the shallowest depth of field without compromising the quality of the image. So I left the lens wide open during the entire shooting.

In addition, I chose to use Black Pro-Mist 1/8 and Hollywood Black Magic 1/8 filter during the shooting.I mainly used them for reducing highlights, softening high-frequency details, and lowering contrast, in order to give the image a sense of gracefulness even in dark and high contrasting scenes.

Script dictated me to differentiate the dream and reality scenes to avoid the confusion between different scenes. Since the tone of image is easy for people to notice, I used different tones for the reality and dream scenes. Scenes implying lonesome present had a cool tone, and scenes about the dreams had a warm tone. I used reddish tone when trying to convey vigorous feelings of the girl, and a neutral tone to imply her woeful past.

Wake Up’s timeline follows the emotion of the girl, and I wanted viewers to be able to relate to the girl as her emotions escalating toward the end of the story. Therefore, I chose 25mm/29mm/40mm/58mm as main lenses, a wide to normal focal length allows the camera to be as close to the girl as possible.

Speaking of emotions, Edge’s 8K resolution combined with ARRI Signature Prime’s resolving lens astonished me. When I first saw the images produced by Edge on iMac 5k during the shooting, the camera captured the truest emotions of the actor, especially during the close-ups. I was able to perceive actor’s emotion in a way that had never occurred in my previous projects. In my opinion, even viewers that aren’t working in the film industry will certainly be able to connect with the emotion from the stunning images of the 4K version of Wake Up on the big screen.

Since the girl’s emotion constantly changes throughout the entire film, I wanted to convey her escalating emotion through different camera movements. For the somber scene, I used GFM Primo and GFM Slider, and I used Movcam Helm while shooting the euphoric scene. For the most intense emotion moment in the film, I dealt it with hand-held shooting. Varies of camera movement are able to not only express girl’s emotions, but also inject vitality into the images, conveying a sense of awakening.

Shooting hand-held camera was effortless with Edge’s highly integrated body. Edge integrates its V-mount battery plate into the body, provides it with a higher versatility and agility when comparing to the similar products. Most importantly, the whole-new integrated carbon fiber body has incorporated the full-spectrum e-ND system, which allows the camera to adjust the exposure no matter how the camera position and lighting level changes, capturing actors’ evanescent emotion meticulously.

Overall, Edge is a handy and charming cine camera that produces flawless skin stone, sharp but organic images with natural highlight transition. Edge’s highly integrated and robust body is suitable for any types of challenges in different shooting scenarios. I can’t wait to use MAVO Edge again for my next project!"
    Last edited by rand thompson; 04-05-2021 at 11:17 AM.

MAVO Edge 8k Won iF Design Award 2021

Kinefinity
    http://www.kinefinity.com/en/if-design-award-2021-edge/

I just noticed the Lower and Upper Dual Native ISOs have changed on the Kinefinity Mavo Edge. I don't know if that's good or bad. However, I think whereas with Red Cameras where you are told to expose to the Right. Kinefinity suggests exposing to the Left.

Old

New

Last edited by rand thompson; 04-23-2021 at 09:38 PM.

First kinefinity Mavo Edge Arrives in Europe

https://www.facebook.com/plugins/vid...alse&width=560

Mavo LF ProRes 4444 Image Grade

Since the Mavo LF and Mavo Edge both have the same Sensor sizes, with the Mavo Edge having 8K resolution and more pixels than the 6K Mavo LF, I thought I would test the gradeability of the Mavo LF's ProRes 4444 which will also be one of the Codecs used in the Mavo Edge.

Mavo LF VS Mavo Edge Sensor Sizes

Mavo LF Prores 4444 sample
    https://www.kinefinity.tv/footage?fb...HpqEkN0GfpQfVo

Here is the Mavo LF's S35 crop ProRes 4444 footage with just the kinefinity "KC_NEUTM" Lut Applied in Davinci Resolve 17 in a REC709 Davinci YRGB Project . I think it makes the skintones a little too red.

ORIGINAL

Graded

Here is the Mavo LF's S35 crop ProRes 4444 footage imported into an ACEScct REC709 Project with an Arri IDT applied. I think the Arri IDT makes the skintones look more natural.

ORIGINAL

Graded

8 second video of still above

Last edited by rand thompson; 04-27-2021 at 08:58 PM.

On KINEFINITY EUROPE's Facebook page, It says that it will be updating its website this week. So lets see what they change or add.