Thread: OMOD POE XLR + RTMotion Thumbwheel and Zoomrocker + MK3.1 = ?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 OMOD POE XLR + RTMotion Thumbwheel and Zoomrocker + MK3.1 = ? 
    Junior Member Carlito Herdenberg's Avatar
    Hi guys,

I'm sort of new to the whole wireless follow focus thing. I've been looking sort for a basic kit for a Scarlet-W camera. This is what I'm thinking:

To use with EF mount lenses
    • RTMotion Thumbwheel
    • RTMotion Zoomrocker

Aditional stuff to be able to use with PL mount lenses
    • OMOD POE XLR
    • RTMotion MK3.1 motor

Will this work or have I missed something? I realise that I do not need the OMOD to use the thumbwheel or Zoomrocker. Also...I don't have to use Foolcontrol with any of this stuff right? I'm sure it's a great app. But as I mainly shoot docs, Being dependent of an iPhone (with poor battery capacity) isn't a that good. And to clearifyI realise that one needs to have a Controller MK3.1 to be able to pull focus wirlessly. I'm primarilly looking for a way to have a good way of controlling EF lenses with a possibilty to use PL ones occasionally.

So...what have I missed?

Wildlife/documentary filmmaker with a past in VFX.
    My website
    Twitter
    Natural History Network

Quote Originally Posted by Carlito Herdenberg View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm sort of new to the whole wireless follow focus thing. I've been looking sort for a basic kit for a Scarlet-W camera. This is what I'm thinking:

To use with EF mount lenses
    • RTMotion Thumbwheel
    • RTMotion Zoomrocker

Aditional stuff to be able to use with PL mount lenses
    • OMOD POE XLR
    • RTMotion MK3.1 motor

Will this work or have I missed something? I realise that I do not need the OMOD to use the thumbwheel or Zoomrocker. Also...I don't have to use Foolcontrol with any of this stuff right? I'm sure it's a great app. But as I mainly shoot docs, Being dependent of an iPhone (with poor battery capacity) isn't a that good. And to clearifyI realise that one needs to have a Controller MK3.1 to be able to pull focus wirlessly. I'm primarilly looking for a way to have a good way of controlling EF lenses with a possibilty to use PL ones occasionally.

So...what have I missed?
    You are all good - except for EF lenses - you still need the OMOD POE XLR - or a RTMotion Latitude MDR.
    Mark L. Pederson

Love my mk3.1 handset and Omod POE, also love the thumb wheel.

Think of it this way:

RTmotion Control input device -> Omod POE -> Lens Motor (internal canon EF or external motor)

Input devices :
    Mk3.1 handset
    Thumb rocker
    ThumbWheel
    Focus knob
    (Probably forgot something here)

Oh yeah - foolcontrol app if you want it, but are not required to use it (redmote replacement).
    Foolcontrol App can also direct interface the wifi in a DSMc2 Brain. I don't use it every job but it's so nice to have it installed on my phone for those times where it's the perfect thing to solve a problem. I found the focus option on it to be not what I need personally, but really cool and interesting nonetheless, but the remote control abilities are 👍🏾

You can choose to use what I call a Latitude "chocolate bar" instead of the Omod, but if you are on DSMC2 body and you want to streamline - why would you?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kanes View Post
    Love my mk3.1 handset and Omod POE, also love the thumb wheel.
    That is exactly the setup that I'm after. I've been reading different threads and saw your comments about the art lenses being buttery smooth. Do you think it's ready for prime time and that it can confidently replace the need for external motors in pro situations?
    Would I see a huge difference between internal motors in that setup vs extenal motor and cinemoded milvus lenses.
    My main objective here is the size factor. I'd love to keep my rig as compact as possible. My ideal setup would be OMOD POE/POE XLR, focus knob (for one man operation) or mk3.1 and motion mount. I hope this would eliminate the need for rails, matte box and cut the weight of lenses.
    Has anyone compared sigma art lenses with other brands specifically for the internal motor performance?

Also might look into the latitude sidekick, very streamlined and you can still have the base expander on with all your ports, plus you get lemo power splitter out
    JAKE WILGANOWSKI
    Director of Photography / Filmmaker
    CINE-AUTOMATIC.COM

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Wilganowski View Post
    Also might look into the latitude sidekick, very streamlined and you can still have the base expander on with all your ports, plus you get lemo power splitter out
    But not yet available... Still waiting for it since april. Would love to know any news.

Pat

Just talked to them, shipping in December!
    JAKE WILGANOWSKI
    Director of Photography / Filmmaker
    CINE-AUTOMATIC.COM

I also thought of the motion mount to get away with no matte box. But it seams to be a bit flaky. Vigneting on some wider lenses and giving you strange bokeh when wide open and using dark NDs. It's really unfortunate that there isn't a way to get decent internal NDs on the Reds. I'm thinking of controlling exposure with a Tiffen Rota Pola Vari ND in a lightweight matte box.

My website
    Twitter
    Natural History Network

That clears things up quite a bit Dan.

Is that the OMOD POE XLR you've got or just the OMOD POE? I wonder if there is a way to have a couple of decibels lower "safety track" for each of the two xlr's? I guess that would be a Red-thing and not a OMOD-thing.

The chocolate bar is probably great for some, but as you say if you want something streamlined then it's nicer to have the stuf in the back. It would make sense if you where using the camera on a gimbal.

My website
    Twitter
    Natural History Network

Hi Carlito, I have the POE .

I'm about 90% sure the regular XLR module does not have lens control built in.

For that you need Omod POE XLR. (Not just omod XLR)

A 1/8" audio input upgrade will be coming for OMOD POE classic eventually.