Thread: Cook Anamorphic Lenses & Red S8K Helium Camera

Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    Well, here is Plan “B” after apparently Plan “A” was rejected by Red, at least it seems that way to me. Buy a “RED WEAPON Helium 8K S35 Carbon Fiber Cameras” and then Up-Grade to whatever the next Camera might be ready; “if and when” the times comes to a RED WEAPON Helium 12K VV camera version “if and when” it comes out. Use the Cooke Anamorphic, or whatever other lenses fits the Camera with room to spare.

Meanwhile continue to use the Cooke Anamorphic Lenses with the 8K S35 Camera and just cut-off the ends out of the 8192 X 4320 Image Sensor. I suppose when the ends that are “cut off” you can possibly use them for a subsequent 3D conversion, or an IMAX theaters use. The Image on the Helium Vista Vision Camera “if” that is on the Red Digital Cinema Plans would definitely be larger and would fit within the Image Circle of the Camera, whatever it would be on the Cooke Anamorphic Lenses.

If the Helium Sensor it’s everything that we have seen in the Mark Toia Short, why would we not have a Helium Vista Vision Sensor NEXT with better resolution, and a new REDWideGamutRGBLog3G10 + Transform LUT being worked on by Red’s resident Genius, Graeme Nattress, and Goran Ljubuncic it would certainly make a lot of sense to-do-this. Just my two-cents. I think as “time goes-on” we will see the “K’s” continue to grow in size, color quality significantly will be consistently improved to a new level, Lenses will continue to add contrast, and computer power continue to get faster and faster, it’s just the way of the World.

I’ll be 75 Years Old this December, I’m in good health relatively speaking (knock on wood), I’ve seen much in the World trough different eyes, different circumstances, in different place around the World. Once you think that technology would not improve to ridiculous new highs, it-does, so it’s pretty hard for me to be impressed with anything new. We’ll see what tomorrow will bring, it will be spectacular whatever it is. It was not too long ago the “Red One” was a scam, now were talking about the Helium Sensor, what about tomorrow?

Step out of the “Now” and not imagining the look of “Tomorrow” what do you see, or is-it so foggy that you cannot see; that might tell you a lot, how you might be looking toward “Yesterday” that’s what happens when the “Future” scares you, don’t be scared to look at “Tomorrow” and “Imagine” whatever it-is”?

Humberto Rivera
    Attached Images

Here is some Cooke ANA 8k test frames we did.

Developed in 800ISO and 12800ISO and rendered to UHD width, you do not need a microscope to see that the helium kicks, weapon, alexa and I would even say Variflex out of the water when it comes to lowlight capabilities, or?

Ignore the ugly highlights at 800iso I guess thats recolor4 that do some oddities with helium. When set to redoclor2 that is gone right away.

HELIUM_@12800ISO WITH KODAK PRINT LUT .0000000 by Björn Benckert, on Flickr

[IMG]Helium 800ISO.0000000 by Björn Benckert, on Flickr[/IMG]

more iso steps here:

https://app.frame.io/d/jkShH9yt
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

HTML Code:
    Björn Benckert 

Here is some Cooke ANA 8k test frames we did. 

Developed in 800ISO and 12800ISO and rendered to UHD width, you do not need a microscope to see that the helium kicks, weapon, alexa and I would even say Variflex out of the water when it comes to lowlight capabilities, or?

Ignore the ugly highlights at 800iso I guess thats recolor4 that do some oddities with helium. When set to redoclor2 that is gone right away.

HELIUM_@12800ISO WITH KODAK PRINT LUT .0000000 by Björn Benckert, on Flickr

[IMG]Helium 800ISO.0000000 by Björn Benckert, on Flickr[/IMG]

more iso steps here: 

https://app.frame.io/d/jkShH9yt
    Björn I found the examples that you posted at Frame.IO https://app.frame.io/d/jkShH9yt very interesting, they definitely show us the capabilities of the Cooke Anamorphic Lenses and the Helium Camera in a night environment, and everyone should check them out, because the noise is negligible for a night scene, although some might find it slightly noisy, but not me considering that it was a night scene, Very Nice! I particularly liked the last frame short at 6800 ISO. It looks very naturally, like it was shot with the car lights, although it was probably not.

Humberto Rivera

Here is a “Red Helium 8K Camera” set up from Christopher Probst; “Our 8K Red Weapon Helium camera set up in pseudo-Bay hem mode for this week's Croatian shoot....” https://www.facebook.com/christopher...39?pnref=story

Humberto Rivera
    Attached Images

I imagine and that’s ONLY MY SPECULATION; that if the “Red 8K Helium Camera” that comes in “Carbon Fiber Brain” (or “Forged CF”) it might be up-gradable to a “Red 12K Helium Camera”! I’m just thinking of the Logical Conclusion to what comes next!

Then you can actually use the full frame of the “Cooke Anamorphic Lenses” which measures 28.17 mm x 18.13 mm at its fullest opening of a ø: 33.50 mm Image Circle, leaving a hole in the middle of the 12k Sensor.

The image might actually be larger than 8K possibly 9K in reality, and have a virtual image of about 12k on the Vista Vision Camera, that’s all now beyond my comprehension, so I leave it “as-is” in Wide Angle Frame Full Frame Aspect Ratio of 2:40.1 for the “Cooke Anamorphic Lenses”. It would definitely be over 8K of useable area, in the Vista Vision Up-Grade. You can still have the “Cooke Anamorphic Look” with plenty of room for anything that makes sense. Don’t forget the Virtual Resolution of the Cooke Lenses (2x), and you’re working from a frame that exceeded the “Super 35 mm Film 4-Perf Full Frame” and beyond.

Just a Thought, there is so much to be announced at NAB 2017, and there is the current REDWideGamutRGBLog3G10 + Transform LUT being worked on by Red’s Graeme Nattress! That’s something that’s going to be tweak for a while. The “Red Helium 12K Carbon Fiber Camera” MIGHT actually have a 60 mm X 30 mm coverage (or so); now that would be “real-coverage” if it happens that way.

Humberto Rivera
    Attached Images

"Quite Ironically my Sigma 85mm 1.4 Art Series was delivered in California within minutes of me arriving to the Sigma factory in Japan a few days ago. Was a great surprise to return home to tonight. — at Red Studios Hollywood." Jarred Land

Humberto Rivera

“Thanks Christopher Probst for being diligent in your push to expand the StormTrooper accessories... quite the army of bits now for those select few brave ones that went the path less travelled. — at Red Studios Hollywood.” Jarred Land

https://www.facebook.com/jarred.land

Humberto Rivera

BIRTV – Beijing (China) 2016.

Two time Oscar winning master cinematographer James Wong Howe, ASC whose career stretched from silent pictures through the mid-’70s, stated during the shoot of The Rose Tatoo directed by Daniel Mann, “Sometimes it’s not how much light you use to get an effect, it’s how little you use and still make it work. There are a lot of rules to be broken in photography, and you’ve got to have courage.”

Today, the entertainment industry is the sunrise light in China, while the steel industry is the sunset light. The growth potential for the film industry is huge, with an increase of 17% per year since 2011. The media and film industry at the end of 2016 will be worth $180 billion and next year an increase is expected, while the domestic film audience will exceed that of the U.S. in less than four years.

Today, China’s movie ticket sales is second only to the U.S. Last year’s box office revenue hit a record $6.8 billion – up 49% from 2014. That’s up from $1.5 billion a mere five years ago. According to a McKinsey report, “the Land of the sleeping Giant” is expected to see a movie cross the $500 million threshold domestically in 2016. Some Chinese movies have already come close: Monster Hunt grossed $380 million to date while Lost in Hong Kong reached more than $250 million. The record for an American film, Avatar, was $760 million on U.S. screens.

http://www.fdtimes.com/2016/11/05/birtv-china-2016/

Humberto Rivera
    Attached Images

This is the Cooke Anamorphic Image Circle that has an “actual” measurements of; 28.17 mm X 18.13 mm / ø: 33.50 mm Image Circle, that’s a hard mechanical number, far in excess of the Silent Cine Aperture. Think of it; as if it you had an imaginary overlay and placed it over a denser pixel site, with a “Higher Resolution”; say the Red 12k Helium Camera with a Vista Vision Format. All of sudden that 40.96 mm X 21.6 mm BECOMES a 60 mm X 30 mm Image Capture Sensor, Actual Size (at denser pixel multiple).

Now let’s go back and lay that “actual” Cooke 28.17 mm X 18.13 mm / ø: 33.50 mm Image Circle, over the richer pixel site, now you have much higher resolution that just 8K or 9K or possibly approaching a 10K sensor size in its “actuality”; and had an additional 2x in-its horizontal virtual size. That’s a crazy insane resolution in World were 4K projection is BECOMING the norm (don’t forget all the 2K projectors of the World).

You might not get to use the Full Frame Red 12K Helium Camera Sensor, but you have far exceed what the “Cooke Anamorphic Lenses” provide and can do under any circumstances, with the Red 12K Helium Camera. You have the “Cooke Look” and its wide array of lenses available to you in anamorphic arsenal, and “you can buy them all”, unlike Panavision. Of Couse if that’s what “is in the cards”; if Red has up its sleeve for NAB 2017.

Humberto Rivera
    Attached Images

Let me say Graeme’s explanation here and in other places put the “Helium Sensor Cameras” in a lightly different place than other Sensors based Cameras. Here is Graeme’s explanation in a simplified way! This is why I think there will be a Red 12K Helium Camera in the not too distant future; Speculation? I don’t think so!

Graeme simplified explanation; “So first, I need to disambiguate a bit... Colour Science is the colorimetry calibration that takes raw sensor data and puts it into accurate colours. That is always in place for each and every camera and OLPF combination. An image processing pipeline is the algorithms (and implementation) that uses the data from the colour science to produce an image. Current Helium camera firmware is using the existing image processing pipeline. A new image processing pipeline is in development and the Helium based cameras have the extra hardware processing necessary to run it, and this will be enabled via future firmware update. For our other cameras, the benefits of the new image processing pipeline will be available via REDCine-X (and SDK).” End Graeme Nattress simplified explanation
    http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...e-Update/page2

Humberto Rivera