Thread: 50% Avid Media Composer Price Cut

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Green View Post
    This is an excellent move by Avid. What a shocker (to hear XPress Pro is end-of-line) but to price Media Composer more competitively... good move. Now let's see them add native R3D support and they'll really have something here...
    I'm sure they'll figure it out - but I can't see how Avid can have native R3D support.

The way Avid manages it's media means there's probably always going to be a lengthy import process, whereas FCP simply links to whatever media you point it at and uses whatever QT codecs it has available to decode it. However perhaps an Avid import process can be streamlined, or even backgrounded in some way? So that the metadata is carried natively, and the media imports seamlessly and without tying everything up.

I'm sure the kids in Tewkbury have some idea of what they'll do.
    Dylan Reeve
    Edit Geek

The plot thickens. Now Avid becomes an even stronger option.
    Good news.

I don't see how slashing the price on an already overpriced app is anything great. If they had made their pricing a little more competitive (the price it is now) from the get-go on the launch of the Media Composer software, a 50% slash to stay competitive WOULD be a big deal.

Avid still hasn't figured this out.

For those that were ready to buy MC for $5k yesterday, congrats on getting a tremendous discount today.

It's not the slashing the price so much, as the elimination of the unnecessary intermediate step that was Xpress Pro. Since MC has been available as software-only Xpress has been a sort of lame duck... It does almost everything MC does, except those things that they've deliberately limited - but while those things are great features, they weren't quite worth the extra money that MC cost... At least that's how I saw it.

Ideally with less complication in their product offering for standard NLE work (it's all MC now, with just some hardware options), then they can focus on improving that product and not worrying about how to structure the feature-tiers between Xpress Pro and MC for new features.

What I'd personally like to see from Avid next is third-party hardware (Decklink/AJA) - although their existing hardware products work very well, they are pretty heavily priced considering the other options that exist in the market.
    Dylan Reeve
    Edit Geek

Quote Originally Posted by Sycophant View Post
    It's not the slashing the price so much, as the elimination of the unnecessary intermediate step that was Xpress Pro. Since MC has been available as software-only Xpress has been a sort of lame duck... It does almost everything MC does, except those things that they've deliberately limited - but while those things are great features, they weren't quite worth the extra money that MC cost... At least that's how I saw it.

Ideally with less complication in their product offering for standard NLE work (it's all MC now, with just some hardware options), then they can focus on improving that product and not worrying about how to structure the feature-tiers between Xpress Pro and MC for new features.

What I'd personally like to see from Avid next is third-party hardware (Decklink/AJA) - although their existing hardware products work very well, they are pretty heavily priced considering the other options that exist in the market.
    We're on the same page, Dylan. Xpress being EOL is a good thing. But the elimination of XPro is exactly the reason why the new MC pricing is not enough. They should have made it $1999, at the most.

I know this is better than the days of taking out a second mortgage to buy a Media Composer system. That being said, there are too many NLE alternatives out there, I don't think they're doing enough for the customer. (Especially taking away a more "economical" option, then not bridging the gap a bit better.)

Quote Originally Posted by David Birdy View Post
    Avid is still in the game!!!

Good move Avid!

Dave
    I m not so sure.

Xpress and MC (even Phony) are catastrophic media managment platforms. DS is the only contemporany tool but tooo pricy. FCP is still the best for the biggest part of the NLE market : creative editing and media management (not high end).

AVID policy designed to kill Xpress (Imovie with edl):

Existing Avid Xpress Pro customers can upgrade to Media Composer software for $495 USMSRP. Avid will continue selling Avid Xpress Pro software through the end of Q2 2008, and offer support for the product through March 17, 2013. However, effective today, Avid will no longer sell support contracts or offer any further software upgrades for Avid Xpress Pro.

I expect much more from this great company!!!

See you

Pat

AVID XPresspro/MC/Phony/DS user

Quote Originally Posted by unfiltered View Post
    We're on the same page, Dylan. Xpress being EOL is a good thing. But the elimination of XPro is exactly the reason why the new MC pricing is not enough. They should have made it $1999, at the most.
    Granted, it could certainly be cheaper. I find the huge education discount (90%!) to be a bit weird too, and so prominently advertised and easy to get, it's almost like they're encouraging people to buy that when they aren't really entitled. Why not split the difference a bit? $1750 for MC Soft, or $450 Edu?
    Dylan Reeve
    Edit Geek

If anyone wants MC for 1700, i have a brand new in box full retail Xpress Pro version 5.7.2, unregistered, which I'll let go for 1200 or best offer.

Hah, interesting plan :)
    Dylan Reeve
    Edit Geek

The upgrade is now available in the Avid store:

http://store.avid.com/us/index.cfm?p...&categoryid=69