Thread: Steven Soderberh’s State Of Cinema Talk

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Toia View Post
    Love the guy... but he just scared me off making a film.
    Come on, Mark, its not encouraging, but, specially for someone outside of the US, the rules are different. Peter Jackson made it with Brain Dead, Rodriguez with Mariachi, and many others throughout the world. The state of film in the US is one thing. Talent, perseverance (This one is for you Ketch ;) ), getting the right people and the right script is the true key. A good film- make it an exceptional film- is always an exceptional film, and will end up being recognized and opening doors. Doing it is the hard part!
    Sérgio Perez

Weapon Monstro #03294 "Amochai" in Macau

Video Director/Creative/Producer

http://vimeo.com/user1503556

https://www.youtube.com/user/spzprod..._as=subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Sergio Perez View Post
    Come on, Mark, its not encouraging, but, specially for someone outside of the US, the rules are different. Peter Jackson made it with Brain Dead, Rodriguez with Mariachi, and many others throughout the world. The state of film in the US is one thing. Talent, perseverance (This one is for you Ketch ;) ), getting the right people and the right script is the true key. A good film- make it an exceptional film- is always an exceptional film, and will end up being recognized and opening doors. Doing it is the hard part!

He he, thanks for thinking of me, and well said Sergio.
    F I L M M A K E R

Making or funding our film is not my problem. Luckily in a position to do that easily.. Sadly Distribution is and always will be a problem.. After 2 years of conversations with distributors sales agents and studios they have all just about worn me down, Steven S explaining the same issues reinforces the sane problems I'm having. And makes me think its not getting better even when your a rock star director (like he is) .
    Distribution is easy if you want to sell you sole for cheap.. They will rip you blind. Offer you peanuts, lock you into contracts were you cant move and never pay you anything as films ( in there eyes) never make profit... Creative Hollywood accounting... Wiki that .
    Im close to done.
    Mark Toia
    Director / DP / Founder of Zoom Film & Television

www.toia.com

www.zoomfilmtv.com.au

"art is inevitable... we need to tell stories" -steven soderbergh
    Scarlet-X #970 "Silver"

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Toia View Post
    Making or funding our film is not my problem. Luckily in a position to do that easily.. Sadly Distribution is and always will be a problem.. After 2 years of conversations with distributors sales agents and studios they have all just about worn me down, Steven S explaining the same issues reinforces the sane problems I'm having. And makes me think its not getting better even when your a rock star director (like he is) .
    Distribution is easy if you want to sell you sole for cheap.. They will rip you blind. Offer you peanuts, lock you into contracts were you cant move and never pay you anything as films ( in there eyes) never make profit... Creative Hollywood accounting... Wiki that .
    Im close to done.
    http://www.amazon.com/Hollywood-Econ.../dp/1612190502

Goes right into the 'creative accounting' Mark is referring to and is a cracker of a read.

Interesting to hear your perspective Mark. Clearly you have the chops to hit it out of the ballpark. Look at Reservoir Dogs, Evil Dead, Cube and countless other early independent films. One location, five actors, no extras, great script. Surely with your resources you can get 10 people together for two weeks. Then hit TIFF and Sundance.

I don't have your skills or experience so I find it interesting that you are frustrated with distribution options as well. Shoot a feature man, I'd gladly pay to watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by James McLellan View Post
    Interesting to hear your perspective Mark. Clearly you have the chops to hit it out of the ballpark. Look at Reservoir Dogs, Evil Dead, Cube and countless other early independent films. One location, five actors, no extras, great script. Surely with your resources you can get 10 people together for two weeks. Then hit TIFF and Sundance.

I don't have your skills or experience so I find it interesting that you are frustrated with distribution options as well. Shoot a feature man, I'd gladly pay to watch it.
    Thanks James... :)

We do have good actors ready to go, Shooting in 4 countries... Modest budget , gear everything all ready to go.. , huge post production values, genre movie as well. Action, UFO's, the lot... Ticks every commercial box (you'd think) WRONG!....
    Sadly, the way these monkey exec's are talking in these meetings is that at best I get my investment money back... So in short, Whats the point. ?... So how does a little drama, or any indie film with no name actors even get a chance to shine with so many boxes that need ticking.

And yes, I know there will be people out there saying.. just make it Mark, its not about the money Mark, do it for the love of cinema Mark. it's your passion Mark etc etc...
    Unfortunately... thats a great way to slowly become depressed and broke, basically waste a year or two out of your life for know reason other than to (a) have a film on a shelf (b) sell it for peanuts (c) self gratification and a investor trying to kill you.

Sadly the Movie making model for Indi film makers is broken on the back end. Exactly what Steven S is saying.

Indie film break throughs 3 - 5 - 10 years ago was achievable, remembering there was little competition in the market place back then... now days.... Hundreds even thousands of indie films per year are being made, with hundreds finding there way into rubbish bins and the good ones being sold to greedy (vultures) buyers waiting and watching the guy with that great indi film to suffer tom the extent that they can come in buy his movie off him for peanuts.
    Seen it so many times already, very depressing watching friends marriages , relationships, home being lost and then see the film playing on a big screen knowing that the sales agents and distributors, cinema owners are living fat off its back... When the film maker barely got 1/4 of his money back to pay his investors.

I think I missed the movie boat...

Im glad I have great day job. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_accounting
    Mark Toia
    Director / DP / Founder of Zoom Film & Television

www.toia.com

www.zoomfilmtv.com.au

William Goledman's words still ring true: "Nobody knows anything." Summing up the entertainment industry. Harry Potter was rejected by all the top agencies.

I remember reading in the biography 'Skywalking' that Alan Lad Jnr. Greenlit A New Hope before American Graffiti became the highest grossing movie of its time. He said he was 'investing in talent'.

The problem is that 'franchises' and 'properties' are fairly reliable money makers but you can't manufacture the spark (unless you're a James Cameron or a Christopher Nolan) so now Hollywood is autodigesting.

And I think SS's assessment is right: unless the business operators are movie fans and are making movies out of a love of movies, you will eventually poison the business. Love of entertainment is actually the engine room of the entertainment business. It's why a guy like Joel Silver takes a punt on The Matrix with two baseball-cap wearing guys who've only made a 3M indie movie about a lesbian couple who beat the mob. Joel Silver and Alan Ladd Jnr. are examples of those people SS is talking about: the kind of person who has an uber-talent for recognising talent.

This is a long winded way of saying that the only real justification for an entertainment industry basically boils down to: 'because I wanted to do it for fun'. Nobody told the guy to draw a Wildebeest on the cave wall, which is my take on this really good speech. It will always be a gamble (to some extent) and that's the beauty of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Humberto Rivera View Post
    Nice little excerpt about Dragon from one of these interviews

"They’ve got a new sensor coming out, the Dragon, that’s fucking insane, like it’s a whole other level in terms of dynamic range, resolution, it’s crazy. I’ve seen the tests on it, it’s nuts. These guys just stay up really late and they’re just never satisfied and they’re constantly pushing it. So I look at it as…if you’re conservative you should probably use something other than the RED, if you’re someone who likes to live dangerously and push stuff then you should be using the RED because that’s where it’s at its best."

Banned
    If I may chime in, I think Mark is doing his film for all the wrong reasons. And here's why, he's trying to second guess what a commercial hit is, he talks in 'checking boxes' mode, so basically he's trying to get into commercial filmmaking by doing a scale down version of a Hollywood blockbuster, shooting in four continents, etc... but it will always be just that, a cheap replica of what people can see in their local cinema anytime...

Also in his words one can read things such as, wasting a year or two, being depressed and broke... These are not words you even think of when you absolutely have and want to do your movie. When you are driven by passion and certainty, you became so strong, you don't even fear being broke...

I don't think Mark should even spend another minute trying to develop this project. His first film MUST be a passion project, it must be of such importance, love and care that nothing else in life matters unless you can do your little film.

Looks like Mark is trying to join university in the middle... By trying to do a poor man's version of a Hollywood big budget blockbuster... Even Michael Bay started off by doing a film with only two guys being bad ass cops, nothing else, just pure simple fun, no big robots, no science fiction extravaganza, nothing, just two guys chasing the bad guys...

But Mark wants to start off by trying to be something he cannot possibly be. And maybe investors could sense that and see nothing but failure in this project, and they most probably right...

Start small and in control, then grow big and strong...

Just sayin'...