Thread: Rokinon EF Cine lenses with Red One MX

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Rokinon EF Cine lenses with Red One MX 
    So I have a dilemma: I've been acquiring the Rokinon Cine lenses for my 7D and I absolutely love them, and while at first I had my heart set on purchasing the Scarlet, I've been really considering purchasing a used Red One. My problem becomes actually using my lenses with the R1. Because the Rokinons are completely manual, I need an EF mount similar to the Nikon mount for the R1, but after spending long agonizing hours online searching for a solution, I'm no closer to an answer.

I know about the Birger mount, and I know a few listings here are selling the R1 with that mount, but I would love something a lot simpler. Ideally, a dumb EF mount. Anyone have any ideas if one even exists? If not, anyone know of a website with reasonably affordable PL lenses. I am working on a rather tight budget and would like to utilize what I already have and spend any extra income on more lights or camera accessories.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Supposedly Wicked Circuits made a dumb mount for EF lenses. I never saw it, I can't vouch for it, and I don't think they make it anymore. At least one copy was available for sale on Reduser at one point.

That's a shame. I'd really like to find an alternative to the Birger mount. Not that I don't like what the Birger mount does, I just need something simpler. Oh, well. I guess I'll keep looking.

Came across this from another user on the forum. Seems to be exactly what I need!

http://www.leitax.com/Leica-lens-for...a-cameras.html

I hadn't seen that. Very interesting! Cheaper than the Birger mount as well.
    "I think he's come back for his noon feeding!"
    www.3barrelsmedia.com

Allstar is working on a dumb EF adapter for the A-Mount system for lenses that have manual aperture adjustment like your Rokinons. I don't know the timetable for it's availability, but that would give you the ability to use your Rokinon lenses and also be able to intermix them with PL, Nikon, Contax, Leica, Hasselblad, etc. (when using the corresponding adapters).
    BRAINCELL CAMERA- Michigan - Renting Weapon CF Helium, Epic-W Helium, Alexa Studio, Alexa Mini
    Primes: Cooke Panchro Classic/i, Sigma Cine, Celere HS, Cooke MiniS4/i, Leica R, Zeiss Contax, Zeiss S16 Superspeeds
    Zooms: Optimo 15-40, Optimo DPs, Cooke 18-100, Duclos 11-16, Zeiss S16 11-110
    Support: Ronin 2, Tero, ReadyRig, EasyRig, Teradek RT FIZ, Teradek Bolts, Bright Tangerine matteboxes, FSI monitors
    ------
    Cinematography/Post Faculty, Compass College of Cinematic Arts, Grand Rapids, MI

I installed the Leitax EF mount after the expiry of the warranty on my BTR1MX, have used it on a couple of shoots and have been very happy with it so far. I understand it will void the Red warranty, though, but if you're buying used anyway then presumably that wouldn't be an issue...

I plan on doing this too as soon as i get a RED ONE. Do you only need the 265 Euro Leitax ring for the mount to work? and none of the other pieces they offer which look like replacement parts?

Hi there!

I have a dumb EF mount by wicked Circuits, I am looking to sell as dont use it. Im in London UK, Ł300 + Shipping and its yours. PM me

Cheers!

The ring has two parts, one that mounts directly to the R1 body and the second part (the actual EF mount) attaches to the first. There is an installation manual online that shows the pieces required and how it works. I haven't mounted that one specifically but I have mounted the Birger mount and that was straight forward and easy. I can't imagine the Leitax mount is any different.