Thread: Creating a Digital Cinema Package

Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    well, we've encoded a 2k DCP right out of Premiere. Took about 6 hours on a 3.4 GHz i5 iMac (our beater R&D machine). We should be able to screen it next week. We have had this same material made in to DCP by a major post house in LA, so it will be VERY interesting to see it out of our box.
    Paul Lee

OK- now what may be the hard part- how are folks formatting their DCP drives? NTFS or ExtF 3? What software is looking good? Thanks!
    Paul Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Lee View Post
    OK- now what may be the hard part- how are folks formatting their DCP drives? NTFS or ExtF 3? What software is looking good? Thanks!
    The one DCP I made for my feature film I supplied on ExtF3 to be safe.

You can get Paragon software for doing this without a Linux box (in fact, if you want to test it for non commercial usage, EXTFS for windows is free, and there is a trial for EXT For OSX) I don't think EXTFS for Windows lets you partition a drive though, just access it - so you'll probably need either an OSX or Linux box for the formatting of the drive initially.

For what it's worth - because of an unusual scenario, I have experience formatting an ExtF3 drive on OSX using Paragon for OSX, then copying the DCP data across to that drive when it was attached via EXTFS for Windows, and it all worked out fine.

Another common way is to use virtualbox, vmware, etc to create a linux virtual machine. Format an EXT3 drive within that and copy across from a shared folder on your host OS. A little ramp up if you've never used linux, but not too bad overall.

Don't do NTFS. Use EXT3. Newer systems will also accept ExFAT and that will probably become the new standard in the near future as we're seeing DCP becoming commoditized. For now EXT3 is the safe bet. NTFS is only a sure thing if you know for sure that the DCP playback system is Windows based.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

6. #46 File format for DCP transport drive 
    Ext3 is the safest at the moment, from my experience. HFS works on Dolby servers but they all seem to read ext3 at the cinemas that I have tested in. Hope that helps.
    Jith Paul
    Treepot Media Inc.
    http://treepotmedia.com

Cool- Paragon seems to do the trick
    Paul Lee

Just back from the cinema. CRU caddy and Ext3 via Paragon with no problems. However, we were not pleased with the image quality out of Adobe. Blacks crushed, banding and some odd color shifting. Yes, we did update Wraptor first.
    Paul Lee

I have been happy with the couple of DCPs I've created with the raptor plug-in so far (the latest sub-release has the patched version so you no longer have to manually update the plug-in). I wonder what the key difference was. In my case, it was a 4K r3d sequence graded in REDCineX-pro and RedGiant Magic Bullet Looks, output to a 2K DCP. All of the default settings. It looks pretty similar to the DCP created for the same project using f-nord and openDCP. On a Mac in case that made a difference.
    Jith Paul
    Treepot Media Inc.
    http://treepotmedia.com