Thread: Space lights

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    As it's for a permanent installation. The conditions will vary.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon MIchael Puntervold View Post
    As it's for a permanent installation. The conditions will vary.
    Hmm, then I would try and determine how I was going to use it most often, but maybe be able to light to a T8 at least in case I wanted to do some overcrank work in a large space. There's good reason to try and use tungsten, you can dim it (or put it on a DMX), the bulbs are cheap, there's no flicker, you can add daylight in as needed from stands etc.
    Basically more is better if budget permits since you can turn some of the lights off if need.

Go for the 6ks w soco to a soco box w dmx control. Then you can kill or dim the fixtures to taste . 2k spacelights in a space that large wont do much. Especially if you have to gel them blue for daylight.
    Brandon Alperin
    I.A.T.S.E. Local 728

6k Space lights work great (and you can dim, or switch off bulbs to adjust level)

I have used vista beams with skirts in place of space lights - more money, but no need to gel, less heat, less power, dmx control

http://www.kinoflo.com/Lighting%20Fi.../VistaBeam.htm
    Rick Youck
    FWY Production Services

Thanks for the very tangible answer Brandon and Rick! VistaBeams seems like a really nice solution, and will probably save a bit of money over time, but I don't have that much start capital...

Maybe I could get some custom build with 6 or 5 fluorescent bulbs per space light? http://www.coollights.biz/cl20056-co...bulb-p-83.html

Do you think that would work? It would draw less power and be changeable from daylight to tungsten. I.e. I could have 5 tungsten balanced and 5 daylight balanced in each one, and just switch from one set of lamps to the other...

If I go for 6k or equivalent. How many would I need for an optimal setup? The Cyclorama is a U-shape with each side of about 20 meters (65 feet).

The studio floor is about 360 square meters, or 1180 square feet.

I get an electrician wednesday morning CET, would be cool to get some hints on how many 6k's I should aim for, if anyone has an educated guess...