Thread: Arri Alexa internal raw recording - finally

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. #1 Arri Alexa internal raw recording - finally 
    ARRI ALEXA SYSTEM REFRESHED WITH NEW XT MODELS

from the press release:
    (20th February 2013, Munich) – With the ALEXA XT cameras (Xtended Technology) ARRI is refreshing its ALEXA product line, incorporating new features inspired by feedback from professional users. The ALEXA XT, ALEXA XT M, ALEXA XT Plus and ALEXA XT Studio cameras will replace all previous models except for the original ALEXA. Owners of existing ALEXA cameras will be able to purchase individual upgrades that deliver most of the features of the XT configuration.

Thank you RED for changing the game - its a good thing they do a upgrade path.

http://www.codexdigital.com
    Storyline Studios - DIT Supervisor - Camera Manager - Developer at Drylab R&D
    #318MX - #600MX - #6825MX - Epic-M #871- Epic-X #392 - #1753

They also have built in, behind the lens, IRND now.

Has Arri ever offered hardware upgrades like this before? RED really has changed things.

Still no 4k though. I wonder how long that will take.

Nope, we have 80% of all Arri cameras ever made, this is the first upgrade they have ever done.

The internal ND option is a very clever move. Saves time and reduces the chance of scratches allot!

Less weight and easier working with internal NDs
    The In-camera Filter Module IFM-1 allows ALEXA XT models to be rated at the base sensitivity of EI 800 without the need for external Neutral Density (ND) filters, even in bright sunlight. Filtering behind the lens rather than in front saves time and reduces weight, reflections and operational complexity. The Precision IRND filters used with the IFM-1 are based on innovative technologies that assure highest image quality and perfect color balance at all of the eight available densities, from ND 0.3 to ND 2.4.
    Storyline Studios - DIT Supervisor - Camera Manager - Developer at Drylab R&D
    #318MX - #600MX - #6825MX - Epic-M #871- Epic-X #392 - #1753

Built in ND's has been on my wishlist for someyears now... Makes a lot of sense with irnd's calibrated for each sensor/olpf
    Life is good. So is RED...

http://quine.no

My guess, Arri will have to get in line behind sony to pick up their lawsuit and then negotiate with Jim to get a license to do onboard raw recording above 2k...

You have to give it to RED and Jim, as kick Starting the digital film revolution was not a dumb move to make. Patent the shit out of it while you do it... well, that's priceless.

I'm pretty sure (as Jim been quite very successful with patents for oakley) that he will actually bring it all home. So even though he right now have a lot of money I think he very soon will be able to refer to today as "before he got rich"....
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    My guess, Arri will have to get in line behind sony to pick up their lawsuit and then negotiate with Jim to get a license to do onboard raw recording above 2k...
    Is Arriraw compressed?
    Matt Doane
    Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Doane View Post
    Is Arriraw compressed?
    Hope they do it... But this kind of spirit is not in their DNA.

Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Doane View Post
    Is Arriraw compressed?

According to this thread it's not compressed. Just bayer pattern image data. Interesting to see them talking about RED's patent in a 2 year old thread.

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/294/358

Senior Member Leland Haushalter's Avatar
    I got this email early on. Glad I didn't invest in the Gemini Recorder with the ARRI Raw license.
    --------------------------------------
    Leland Haushalter
    IATSE Local 600
    Chicago Assistant Camera
    Exclusive owner of the Data Loader Pro and Data Loader Pro Mini.
    Full AC and data packages available.

Somewhere in a shadowy darkened room, sitting in front of a huge 30-inch Apple display, Jim Jannard is lighting a cigar and uttering the words "Let's dance."